Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User NamelyDuffel
(newbie) Fri 09-Aug-19 09:42:58
Print Post

My cpu fans stopped spinning after some driver updates.

[link to this post]

I just purchased and built my first PC thanks to advice from a friend at Apknite company. Everything worked when I turned it on, and I was able to set up windows without a hitch.
Eventually, I downloaded the necessary software and some drivers for my MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard. I let the computer stand while things were downloading, and when I came back, I noticed my Coolermaster 212 RGB black edition stopped spinning.
I had downloaded and ran “Live update” utility from MSI which updated the motherboard drivers and bios. I went into bios to see if some settings changed, but no matter what I did, the fan stayed off, and the computer said it was running at 0 RPM. Whenever I turned on the computer, the fan would spin slightly and stop, so I knew it was still getting power.
I tried to stock Ruben CPI fan, and it did the same thing. Afterward, I reinstalled windows hoping it would undo any changes, but it still wouldn’t spin. I flashbacked the bios again and the fan would still not spin.
I don’t know what else to do because the system should be reinstalled entirely in the same state as when it worked. Other fans in the same slot behave the same way. Is there anything I’m missing? Thanks in advance.
Computer parts that could be a problem = MSI B450, Ryzen R5 3600 (with updated bios to accommodate the chip), EVGA 650 gold modular PSU, wraith stealth cooler, and the Coolermaster hyper 212 RGB black cooler.
Standard User AndrewNi
(regular) Fri 09-Aug-19 13:04:06
Print Post

Re: My cpu fans stopped spinning after some driver updates.

[re: NamelyDuffel] [link to this post]

What's the CPU temperature? The CPU fan in my computer turns off if it's below 50°C.

Have a look in the BIOS under Hardware Monitor to see if such a target is also set in your computer.
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Aug-19 13:46:15
Print Post

As mentioned by AndrewNi, the fact that the CPU fan isn't spinning isn't necessarily a problem. The end result you are trying to achieve is a CPU that doesn't overheat rather than a fan that spins (although the latter may be a route to the former). So the first thing to do is to determine if you have a problem. Monitor the CPU temperature both at rest and under load and see what happens. If the fan still doesn't spin and the CPU temperature gets too high then you do have a problem.

Next, don't make assumptions. The fact that the change in behaviour occurred after updating drivers/bios could just be a coincidence. It's very easy to get an idea about a problem stuck in your head to the extent that you ignore other possibilities.

Try working through this link to see if anything helps: https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-a-cpu-fan-not-spinning/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not to his own facts.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User NamelyDuffel
(newbie) Mon 12-Aug-19 03:48:56
Print Post

Thanks for responses guys! They're helpful! laugh
  Print Thread

Jump to