Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jul-20 18:01:14
Print Post

Intel HD2100 or Geforce GT430?

[link to this post]

Right, I have an old machine here, which I am giving to my brother as his machine have given up the ghost and when I said old, this is old, but it will do what he will use it for. His machine is far older.
Anyway this machine i was given a while back without a harddrive, so I have stuck one in just to try it out and see if Windows 10 will install, whihc it does and activated as i used the old Windows 7 code on the side of the machine.
Now to the main bit, this machine has a core I3 sandy bridge CPU in with Intel HD 2100 graphics and 4GB of lovely DDR3 memory, but with the machine, but not installed is a PNY Geforce GT430 PCI-E with a GB of ram. Now i know the card is older than the machine, but I am wondering if sticking the card in will still be better than using the CPUs own GPU.

I think it will be better, because it is a dedicated card, also another Gig of ram, which leaves memory free from the computer to do other stuff.
Graphics is not going to be a big thing for the machine, but I think it would free up some resources.

thanks for any help

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 23-Jul-20 04:13:27
Print Post

Re: Intel HD2100 or Geforce GT430?

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce... ***

GT430 is better than the i3's onboard GPU (Intel HD 2000 gfx), and will lay off the system RAM. It's still pretty poo to be honest. I'd not recommend anything less than a GT1030 GPU nowadays, and that would be HD video only. For very low end gaming, I'd start with a GTX 1050:

HD2000: 0.81%
GT430: 3.58% (+340%)
GT1030: 14.8% (+313% on the GT430 and +1,720% on the HD2000)

The GTX is about +85% on the GT1030, for what it's worth. So that maybe gives a sense of scale of how poo the options you have really are. 720p video at best, I imagine.

Bear in mind, if the system is 32bit, there might be an allocation issue with a 1GB card and all that RAM. I imagine said system would already have a RAM reporting issue if it was 32bit. Frankly, Windows 10 will be too hardware hungry for that setup imo. It'll probably work, but it'll be like pulling teeth.

https://winaero.com/blog/the-real-system-requirement...

*** Small number of samples, so not scientific

Edited by camieabz (Thu 23-Jul-20 04:13:47)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jul-20 11:48:22
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Cheers for the link, i did try GPU boss, but that failed to bring up the GPU on the CPU. smile
I did do a benchmark with novabench and yes with the card it was an improvement, The CPU is 64bit.

I know none of the options are great, but for what the machine will be used for, it will be fine. My brother do not use it that often, he just browses, write the odd letter and do some office work at home, he doesn't as far as I know watch videos on it, well not for any length of time, There is a video card in his machine that i installed, one of my old ones, but I can not remember what it is, I think it maybe better than the 430, but not sure, when I set the machine up i will have a look and swap it if it is better.

I put in my 250GB SSd in temporally to see if it was worth buying one and the difference between that and the old 120Gb hard drive I used first is amazing. i was not sure sticking a SSD in an older Sata II machine would be worth it, but it is. so I ordered a nice 240GB WD SSD for it, cheap but it will be fine.

i think it will be a vast improvement on his 11 year old machine.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 23-Jul-20 12:21:17
Print Post

Another option to go with that new SSD - https://www.cclonline.com/product/307080/NoMfgCode/N... (Buying the parts via PCpartpicker comes in at £14 less, assuming delivery not added, and the RAM is better than the bundle).

Mobo, 3200G CPU, 8GB of DDR4. With Vega 8 GPU onboard, which will be 2-3x the GT430, and with the extra RAM, you'll have 6-7GB for system anyway.

Vega 8 vs GT 430 - https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce...

3200G vs i3-2100 - https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-...

Faster CPU, faster RAM, faster GPU. Should make for a faster SSD (they can be limited by the CPU - My a8-7800 SSD benchmarks vs adding a card were far lower - the 3200G is a lot more optimised for onboard GPU and faster RAM). The only issue outstanding might be the old PSU. smile
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Jul-20 15:57:04
Print Post

I put a SSD in my Dell Studio 1555 and it boots in 30 seconds compared to the 1 minute + it used to take, so worth it for me.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jul-20 19:48:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Another option to go with that new SSD - https://www.cclonline.com/product/307080/NoMfgCode/N... (Buying the parts via PCpartpicker comes in at £14 less, assuming delivery not added, and the RAM is better than the bundle).

Mobo, 3200G CPU, 8GB of DDR4. With Vega 8 GPU onboard, which will be 2-3x the GT430, and with the extra RAM, you'll have 6-7GB for system anyway.

Vega 8 vs GT 430 - https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce...

3200G vs i3-2100 - https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-...

Faster CPU, faster RAM, faster GPU. Should make for a faster SSD (they can be limited by the CPU - My a8-7800 SSD benchmarks vs adding a card were far lower - the 3200G is a lot more optimised for onboard GPU and faster RAM). The only issue outstanding might be the old PSU. smile

Thanks, but the whole idea of getting the computer up and running was not buy new. I will recommend that he puts some money up and maybe at some point next year to get a better machine, but it depends on how this one works for him. Don't forget a new machine will also need Windows, so more money.

My original idea was to use a single board machine that would run Windows, stick it in a small box and attach it on the back of the monitor, so like an All in one, but then this machine happened to come to me, so we may as well use it, otherwise it will be dumped.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jul-20 19:51:07
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
I put a SSD in my Dell Studio 1555 and it boots in 30 seconds compared to the 1 minute + it used to take, so worth it for me.

about 25 seconds it boots in, which is pretty good, compared to almost 2 and a half minutes with the old hard drive, but it is a very old hard drive, which I found in a box just to check the machine was working. I doubt the drive have been used for over 15 years. Also had to get a new cmos battery as the one on the board is dead, still I ordered a couple of them, so I will replace the one in my machine, may as well.
Oh yeah and some heat sink compound, i may as well redo that.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User gary333
(committed) Thu 23-Jul-20 20:31:52
Print Post

I'd disagree Windows 10 works on low powered kit just fine (far better than Windows 7 ever did). The setup listed by the poster with the built in graphics will be more than fine for basic browsing, emails, word, 1080p videos etc. If you have a card going spare then by all means chuck it in but it'll do the basics just fine and if that's all their doing then leaving out will save a small amount of power consumption.

I've got a Intel Celeron 2957U running with only 2gb ram (windows uses <900mb when idle) that can do all the things above and the processor and ram are far inferior to what is being listed by the original poster.

So long as it has an SSD it'll work fine for basic tasks. My machine listed above only a basic 60gb SSD and get's in to windows in 21 seconds from a power off state.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Jul-20 07:04:45
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Windows 10 is running ok on it to be honest, certainly with the SSD in place, I was surprised how well it run, I would have loved to put Linux on it, but sadly MS office needs to run on it and so does One drive.

I do not want to go back to old software, I did think about putting Windows 10 LSTB on it, as it will do what is required and it is not updated that often,

The computer my brother have got is far less capable than the core I3 and that runs Windows 10, just about smile but it is getting long in the teeth and is really slow now, I suppose I could have done a clean install and stuck an SSd in there, but to be honest I can not remember what the full specs of it is, I think it is something like 2GB of ram and an Athlon x2 CPU it is ancient, I am shocked it is still working.

I do not slow machines, they get on my nerves, but testing out the Core I3 machine here, I could use it for basic stuff.

My laptop is a Celeron and it is so slow, even with Linux on it, I think it would come to a standstill with Windows 10, but then it is very old.

25 seconds the machine takes to boot with an SSD and that is with an older SSD, granted it was not a cheap SSd when i got it, but still older tech than the new one that will be put in,

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Jul-20 08:02:10
Print Post

There are several third-party tools (e.g. rclone) that let you use OneDrive with Linux. And OpenOffice is pretty compatible with MS Office.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to