Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gary333
(committed) Fri 24-Jul-20 08:07:50
Print Post

Re: Intel HD2100 or Geforce GT430?

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

After re-reading my post it's not clear as i missed a comma, but windows 10 works really well on even the slowest PC's.

I've even got it installed on an old Pentium 4 HP computer and it runs better than Windows XP ever did with it's ancient 160gb mechanical hard drive. I don't use it often (just keeping as I think the older HP's look really smart and far more interesting than modern PC's. As long as you do one thing at once it can also do all the basics. Try to do two things at once and its not happy though.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Jul-20 12:48:53
Print Post

I get a few bits and bobs from CEX and they are dirt cheap with a 2 year warranty. Had to buy my SSD from Currys but it was at a sale. CEX now stock SSDs at fairly cheap prices.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Jul-20 19:28:04
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
There are several third-party tools (e.g. rclone) that let you use OneDrive with Linux. And OpenOffice is pretty compatible with MS Office.

I never knew there was a third party tool to access one drive on Linux, I know open office is good, I use it myself, not sure if it would be any good for my brother.

thanks for the info

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Jul-20 19:29:21
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
After re-reading my post it's not clear as i missed a comma, but windows 10 works really well on even the slowest PC's.

I've even got it installed on an old Pentium 4 HP computer and it runs better than Windows XP ever did with it's ancient 160gb mechanical hard drive. I don't use it often (just keeping as I think the older HP's look really smart and far more interesting than modern PC's. As long as you do one thing at once it can also do all the basics. Try to do two things at once and its not happy though.

I did not think Windows 10 would work on a P4,

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Jul-20 19:32:47
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
I get a few bits and bobs from CEX and they are dirt cheap with a 2 year warranty. Had to buy my SSD from Currys but it was at a sale. CEX now stock SSDs at fairly cheap prices.

I have not been in CEX for a while, but then I have not really been into town for a while.
The bits are here, one WD green 240GB SSD and a bracket, some batteries for the Cmos and some heatsink compound, some Coolermaster stuff Intel heatsinks are strange, I have taken it off, gave it and the CPU a clean, but not going to do anything with the machine until tomorrow, I am having difficulties keeping my eyes open, I am so tired.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User gary333
(committed) Fri 24-Jul-20 23:25:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:

I did not think Windows 10 would work on a P4,

Still works, so long as its a HT variant. Mine is a 3.2ghz HT.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 09:12:14
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

Still works, so long as its a HT variant. Mine is a 3.2ghz HT.

Ah, I see, I was thinking of replacing XP on my mates p4 audio machine at one point, but then I heard it would not work, so i did not go any further, but then I doubt my mate would have had it on there, he did not like Windows 10, then again he was not a fan of Windows full stop. Not going to happen now anyway, got to clear out the studio at some point.

Hopefully when i filll myself up with coffee and after I done a bit of housework, i will work on the machine that is here, I am also going to redo the thermal compound on my own machine, I may as well.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to