Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Jul-20 16:08:25
Print Post

Printer Feeds Paper At An Angle

[link to this post]

I have a Canon iP4700 printer. Prints on 6 x 4 photo paper with no issues but A4 is dragged sideways slightly and either jams or is creased very badly when printed.

edit: Forgot to mention that the same issue is encountered with the paper in the lower cassette as well as the rear loading feed.

I've had the sides and back/top case off but can't see anything stuck. I can't find all the sensors so can't try printing with the casing off as the workings are more exposed.

Anyone encountered this issue and managed to fix it?

Not many printers, out there, that are photo quality, can print on CDs/DVDs and are reasonably priced.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Edited by broadband66 (Thu 23-Jul-20 16:15:53)

Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jul-20 16:11:45
Print Post

Re: Printer Feeds Paper At An Angle

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Sounds like you need to clean the paper feed rollers: https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Jul-20 16:13:25
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

There is only one and as it works with smaller sheets then there is no issue with the roller.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jul-20 17:26:04
Print Post

I work on the basis that it's worth trying the simple remedies first.

Anyway, if it's not the roller then you likely have an obstruction somewhere in the paper path. They can be very difficult to trace as the smallest obstruction will cause feed problems.

Your post prompted me to clean the feed rollers in my HP, which has fixed a feed problem I was having.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jul-20 19:43:16
Print Post

i got that with one of my Canon printers, in fact I think it was the same one and I found something had dropped to the paper feed and while it was not far enough to affect small sheets, it would affect large sheets. Also, as been said, try cleaning the roller, may be one roller but is I remember it is a long roller, so part of it could be dirty.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Jul-20 13:04:53
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Roller is only ¾ inch wide and feeds 6 x 4 and 7 x 5 paper without any slippage or other issues. Just the larger sheets that are affected.

The rear feed tray roller is not associated / used in the feed of paper from the bottom cassette so it must be a small blockage in the mechanism.

A few of the plastic trays move up and down as the paper starts to feed so I'm wondering if one of the trays is dropping at one side and not the other.

Case off again and it looks like a mine field to strip down.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Jul-20 19:34:49
Print Post

Oh yeah, i remember now, yes it does sound like it could be something stuck inside.
The print head went on mine, which is why I dumped it, but it done ok. I don't think I am ever going to buy another inkjet to be honest.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Jul-20 14:32:39
Print Post

Update:

Managed to remove the rear roller feed, after a bit of cable/wire removal, and low and behold found a kernel (if that is the correct term) of potpourri wedged in one edge of the mechanism. Must have fallen from the bowl on the shelf above the printer.

Now, after putting it all back together, I get a B200 Error when switching the printer on. Searching suggests a print head issue.

A couple of utube videos suggest taping over some of the contacts in order that the printer ignores the error, followed by a couple of deep cleaning operations and then the removal of the tape will sort out the issue.

I'm sceptical but worth a try.

Edit: Didn't try the above but below was what worked and printer seems to be ok now.

1. Turn OFF Power
2. Open the print head bay (as though you were about to change inks)
3. Turn ON power
4. Wait for print carriage to start moving to the left and let it go past half way
5. Before print carriage reaches left hand side (but after going halfway across) shut the cover.
6. Leave the Printer turned on
7. Good to go.

Edited by broadband66 (Mon 27-Jul-20 15:20:48)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Jul-20 16:57:45
Print Post

I am glad you have got it working, just shows that you should never have anything above your printer.
Printers are so cheap now, in fact too cheap, they are like throw away things. I still don't see myself getting another inkjet, my LED printer is great, cost a bit more than an inkjet, but cheaper to run and more reliable. you don't get the photo quality, which is a small problem.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jul-20 13:27:48
Print Post

"Printers are so cheap now"

Cheap printers are normally expensive tri colour cartridges and basic print quality. Photo quality multi cartridge printers are quite a bit more costly especially one with CD/DVD printing capability.

I have a laser for text printing and an Epsom inkjet for everyday colour printing.

(knowledge is power) Thu 30-Jul-20 11:59:19
Print Post

Another update.

B200 error still present. Work around is to carryout the lid lift, carriage shuttles across and then closing lid will allow prints to take place.

Switch printer off and on again and error reappears.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 30-Jul-20 13:34:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Another update.

B200 error still present. Work around is to carryout the lid lift, carriage shuttles across and then closing lid will allow prints to take place.

Switch printer off and on again and error reappears.

Would it be better just to buy a new printer, how old is it anyway?

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jul-20 11:23:15
Print Post

Very old. As I said earlier, about £150 for similar. Why buy when there might be a fix/workaround?

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Jul-20 21:55:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Very old. As I said earlier, about £150 for similar. Why buy when there might be a fix/workaround?

I can understand where you are coming from, i tend to keep older stuff myself if I can, my toshiba Midi Hi-fi that I use in here for the computer is over 20 years old and still going strong. i know someone who still uses a dot matrix printer, that is a few years old, getting difficult to get the ribbons now.
i will stick with my LEd printer.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to