Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 14:59:44
Print Post

Opps, I think CPU have blown

[link to this post]

Machine from my last post, Intel I3 oldy thing. Removed heatsink, so I could redo the compound, put it all back together, machine booted, reset, booted and then went off. I took the heatsink off again to resit it, but still not working, the machine turns on but that is it. Tested PSU, with tester, just in case. I hate intel way of sticking heat sinks on, never really had to deal with them, I presume that one of the pins was not set correctly.

Not sure what to do now, maybe try and get a cheap CPU from ebay, at the end of the day this is my mistake, so I will pay for it, maybe put a I5 in there instead.

i will leave it off for a couple of hours, a mate of mine said that sometimes they will boot back up after a while as if some sort of reset in them as it happened to him once. I can not see it, but you never know.

i do not make these mistakes very often, but this is what I get from mucking about with Intel. smile

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 25-Jul-20 17:53:52
Print Post

Re: Opps, I think CPU have blown

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Hi Adrian

The first question that sprung to my mine was

'What made you think you needed to redo the compound for the heatsink?'

I've caused myself no end of issue over the years trying to fix things that ain't broken so I now wait for them to fail first.
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 18:04:20
Print Post

Are you sure it's not just a bent pin?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 18:23:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Machine from my last post, Intel I3 oldy thing. Removed heatsink, so I could redo the compound, put it all back together, machine booted, reset, booted and then went off. I took the heatsink off again to resit it, but still not working, the machine turns on but that is it. Tested PSU, with tester, just in case. I hate intel way of sticking heat sinks on, never really had to deal with them, I presume that one of the pins was not set correctly.

Not sure what to do now, maybe try and get a cheap CPU from ebay, at the end of the day this is my mistake, so I will pay for it, maybe put a I5 in there instead.

i will leave it off for a couple of hours, a mate of mine said that sometimes they will boot back up after a while as if some sort of reset in them as it happened to him once. I can not see it, but you never know.

i do not make these mistakes very often, but this is what I get from mucking about with Intel. smile

Is the heatsink on properly? Maybe the chip is reaching thermal shutdown and shutting off, you dont say if it switches off or can get into the BIOS.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 19:00:01
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Hi Adrian

The first question that sprung to my mine was

'What made you think you needed to redo the compound for the heatsink?'

I've caused myself no end of issue over the years trying to fix things that ain't broken so I now wait for them to fail first.

The machine is getting on and the compound tends to not be efficient when it has been on the CPU for years.
Learn by my mistake., still my brother will get an even faster machine now.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 19:01:32
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
Are you sure it's not just a bent pin?

Nah, i did not take the CPU out, just the pins, but I did take the CPU out a few mins ago, just to make sure that none of the compound have got underneath. Strange things these Intel chips, i only ever put installed two./

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 19:05:19
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Is the heatsink on properly? Maybe the chip is reaching thermal shutdown and shutting off, you dont say if it switches off or can get into the BIOS.

nothing on display now, so i can not get into the anything. I reset the bios, I even left the machine on for a few mins just in case.I should have realised something was wrong when the machine rebooted. Oh well I have ordered a I5 for £22 from ebay, i checked the memory was compatible and that is fine and the board will take an I5.

I was going to renew the compound on my own machine, but I think I will leave it alone smile

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jul-20 23:16:23
Print Post

I was going to renew the compound on my own machine, but I think I will leave it alone

Good idea.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Current Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User neo_wales
(regular) Sun 26-Jul-20 10:11:22
Print Post

If it ain't broke don't fix it as the old saying goes.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 PC
i7 Surface Pro 7
Standard User tripslaw
(newbie) Sun 26-Jul-20 12:22:08
Print Post

I have long had a suspicion about the standard Intel heat sink mounting (assuming that is what you have). This applies pressure to the CPU that bends the motherboard, easily seen using a straight edge. The consequent stretching of internal tracks may strain buried via holes which are known to be fragile. So the problem could be a discontinuous track. Ideal planned obsolescence!

It is a good idea to use a heat sink mounting with a back plate that keeps the motherboard flat.

T
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to