Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Jul-20 21:20:13
Print Post

Re: Opps, I think CPU have blown

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

https://thecircleofevil.wordpress.com/2010/01/18/hel...

I've been there, have read the book and somewhere have the T-shirt!

Could be worse.....?

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Jul-20 06:48:17
Print Post

[re: tripslaw] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tripslaw:
I have long had a suspicion about the standard Intel heat sink mounting (assuming that is what you have). This applies pressure to the CPU that bends the motherboard, easily seen using a straight edge. The consequent stretching of internal tracks may strain buried via holes which are known to be fragile. So the problem could be a discontinuous track. Ideal planned obsolescence!

It is a good idea to use a heat sink mounting with a back plate that keeps the motherboard flat.

T

I have not put a intel chip on for a few years, in fact I don't normally touch them, I forgotten how bad they are,

I prefer AMD way, much better.

I hope it is only the CPU and not the board, I really do not want to spend any more money on the machine, I may as well get a new cheap board and one of the new Athon chips, I worked out i could do a nice build for £150 if I look around. But I can not ask my brother to pay since I was the one that mucked it up.
We will see what happens when the CPU is fitted

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jul-20 13:07:55
Print Post

Well that did not work, the machine still does the same thing, in fact now it turns on and keep going through a reset sort of thing, so I thought stuff it. I am not bothering with it any more. I even connected my PSU from this machine to it, just in case.

so I ordered a Ryzen 3, I did think about the Athlon, but the Ryzon 3, 8GB of ram and
Gigabyte A320M motherboard, plus a better PSU for myself and I will stick my PSU into the other machine.

money, money and money, I hope my brother will be happy with it.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User neo_wales
(regular) Tue 28-Jul-20 19:54:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Well that did not work, the machine still does the same thing, in fact now it turns on and keep going through a reset sort of thing, so I thought stuff it. I am not bothering with it any more. I even connected my PSU from this machine to it, just in case.

so I ordered a Ryzen 3, I did think about the Athlon, but the Ryzon 3, 8GB of ram and
Gigabyte A320M motherboard, plus a better PSU for myself and I will stick my PSU into the other machine.

money, money and money, I hope my brother will be happy with it.

Messing about and you [censored] up the machine and now spend more money. For not much more than your obliged to spend now you could have picked up an i5 PC, that works off ebay including case, ram and HDD.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 PC
i7 Surface Pro 7
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jul-20 23:02:13
Print Post

[re: neo_wales] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by neo_wales:
Messing about and you [censored] up the machine and now spend more money. For not much more than your obliged to spend now you could have picked up an i5 PC, that works off ebay including case, ram and HDD.

It is an old machine, it may not have lasted anyway, to be honest if went pop just by redoing the heatsink, then i presume their must have been a problem waiting to happen. I could have picked up an I5, I could have got another motherboard from Ebay, i did look at that, i saw some around £30, one at £25, but it is risk. at the end of the day, My brother gets a nice new machine that will last him for years. Granted I could have got him something a bit cheaper. .

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to