Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Sep-20 08:38:25
Print Post

USB2 pen drives don't work on USB 3 ports

[link to this post]

this is a real strange one, for some reason none of my older USB 2 pen drives will work on the USB3 ports on my computer, I can use my USB3 hard drives and also USB3 pen drives, but not USB2.

My brother phoned me a week back saying that his old card reader will not work on his computer, that has USB3 ports, I built the computer a few weeks back for him, so I thought may be a cable have come out, but the ports worked fine using a USB 3 hard drive before I left.
so is this a silly Windows bug again?

fine in linux and I can stick a USB 2 pen drive in the USB3 and boot up from it, so I presume this is a window bug.

Anyone else noticed this?

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User flilot
(regular) Wed 02-Sep-20 16:09:18
Print Post

Re: USB2 pen drives don't work on USB 3 ports

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Have a look through the BIOS settings for your motherboard. I seem to recall some motherboards having specific settings where you can specify that USB ports use a certain standard such as 3 only, or can be set to be backwards compatible with 2, 1 etc.

Carl
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Sep-20 11:58:23
Print Post

Re: USB2 pen drives don't work on USB 3 ports

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

I thought maybe it was something to do with the bios, I even reset it, the strange thing is, everything works fine on the ports at the back of the machine.
so this morning, I took the side of the machine off, just to see if there is anything wrong with the USB3 cable, they are awful things the internal USB 3 sockets, but all seems ok, I swapped it from the mother board to the connection on my USB 3 card, but still did the same thing, I even tried some different USB 3 ports I got for my brothers machine, before I got him a different case. Still, no go, still at least now I have four USB3 sockets on the front of machine instead of 2.

Like it is not a big problem, I still have USB 2 on the front as well, but even my mouse dongle would not work on the front USB 3 ports.
It is strange that both me and my brother seems to be having the same problem, but saying that My brother have only used it with a SD card reader and that could be a strange Chinese thing.

I thought it did work with Linux, but I tried it again and it still has the same problem with linux. i know MS can change certain things in the UEFI via Windows 10, so I don't know if that have happened, but it seems to be since i installed windows 10 2004.
Oh yes, I can't even boot the machine using a USB2 device in the front USB3 ports. eiother, the bios will not even see the device.

All very strange, as I said not a problem as still have the front USB 2 ports, but I am slowly changing all my USB2 stick to USB 3 anyway as they were only cheap plastic Lexar ones and the plastic is starting to fail on some of them.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to