Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 03-Nov-20 14:34:53
Print Post

DDR2 memory

[link to this post]

Why is it so expensive ... I need to up the memory on my daughters PC. with the latest version of windows, memory is running at 90% or more and this means more disc access which is up at 10% at times.

Currently a lowly 3GB and the PC can take 8 GB (2x4GB).

Standard PC2 6400 4GB modules are around £65 to|£75 with a pair being £125+ with some places it is over £200

Any reasons why?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Nov-20 14:41:29
Print Post

Re: DDR2 memory

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Harder to come by so therefore more expensive.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Nov-20 14:59:02
Print Post

Simple economics - the law of supply and demand.

Having said that, depending upon the m/b, these might do the job: https://www.amazon.co.uk/8GB-DDR2-800MHz-PC6400-240-...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 03-Nov-20 15:04:05
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Unfortunately not ... It need to be the short modules such as: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Memory-Ram-4-Dell-Vostro-... and also Intel compatible

M H C

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Nov-20 15:21:42
Print Post

Seems to be very few places selling those any more. None on Crucial. Found one on Amazon for a 4GB DIMM but it is nearly £60. Nowhere will be manufacturing them so it will be old stock or second hand now. It was superseded by DDR3 in 2007. Even on ebay all the sellers I have clicked on are out of stock for 4GB.

EDIT : Silly question, you say it is "only 3GB" - are you sure it isn't 4GB but running 32 bit windows? If running 32 bit windows then you would have to upgrade to 64bit to be able to take advantage of the extra memory. Have you checked if the laptop would support 64 bit?

Edited by ian72 (Tue 03-Nov-20 15:23:26)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 03-Nov-20 15:37:57
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

It is Win10 Pro ... and definitely on 3GB with 1x1GB & 1x2GB

Just runs so slow ...

M H C

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Nov-20 15:39:31
Print Post

Is it 64bit though? Assuming it is you could get a single 2GB stick to take it up to 4GB but it might not give you much advantage for long. 4GB looks like it is as populous as hens teeth. It sounds like either a switch to a more efficient OS or biting the bullet and getting a new laptop may be in order in the near future.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 03-Nov-20 15:51:18
Print Post

I do have a 2GB that will be available in a week or two when I scrap an old machine ... so that may be one way.

It will run 64bit and I have a license so no issues but without 8GB probably not worth changing.

A new PC would be cheapest! Although this one is only used for video call/conferences, webinars, conf calls and not much else. I am trying it on a Webinar at present and it is running hot with memory up at near 90% and disc access levels peak if I try it for other apps at the same time. CPU 50% a lot of which is system related - Firefox and the video link are sub20%

M H C

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Nov-20 16:36:05
Print Post

It is possible that a fresh install would resolve the issue - but that might be a stop too far for what you want to do. So, are you absolutely certain it is 1GB and 2GB - I assume that would have only have happened from doing a previous upgrade as the device is more likely to come preinstalled with same size DIMMs - if you are just seeing the 3GB from system manager then that is almost certainly due to 32 bit windows as 32bit windows can only see 4GB total and the graphics card is included in that - if you have 1GB graphics card then windows can only address the remaining 3GB of system memory.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 03-Nov-20 16:50:33
Print Post

Integrated Graphics - and definitely 1GB & 2GB - had a physical look this morning.

Probably is 32bit but upgrade to 64bit can be done if needed. Don't know why they are different maybe it was originally 2x1GB and a spare 2GB came available ...

Don't fancy a fresh install - too much hassle to then put the various licensed apps on even though they are rarely used, unless a 64 bit update but without extra RAM that would be pointless too.

M H C

Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Nov-20 16:57:58
Print Post

Pretty sure you can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit, it needs a fresh install...

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 03-Nov-20 16:59:51
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

That's what I meant by update ...

M H C

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Nov-20 17:15:50
Print Post

If it's a 1720, they were supplied with 3GB of RAM. I guess there would have been no point in giving them 4GB.

Have you thought of putting an SSD in instead of the memory upgrade? It's the best upgrade you can do on an old laptop, and pretty cheap nowadays.

In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 03-Nov-20 17:19:36
Print Post

Its a 1320 - as you say it may have been supplied, with 3GB as I don't remember doing an upgrade for her. I will soon have a spare SSD too, and had already planned that. A quick clone of the old drive will sort it.

M H C

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Nov-20 17:24:52
Print Post

Yep - they came from Dell with 3GB as well.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 03-Nov-20 18:31:18
Print Post

My Windows 10 boot is 1.2 Gig. My Win 7 boot is 0.8 Gig.

Tried stopping unnecessary stuff loading? Should be able to get any boot down to 1.5 Gig. Also, you could use features such as Readyboost and have a 16GB SSD sitting there as a cache between the RAM and the HDD.

Or set swapfile to a minimum of 4/8GB, and no maximum, which should reduce HDD swap resizing.

As to the RAM, it's just old, so pricey. There's always Ebay, and take a chance.

Edit: Read further down, and there's a chance of 32-bit. Not sure how that affects Readyboost, but my guess would be the old 3.xx GB limit (I forget what it is).

Suggest you do what you can of this list, within the 32-bit context - https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/windows/t/4227430-...

Edited by camieabz (Tue 03-Nov-20 18:36:38)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Nov-20 09:56:29
Print Post

SSD would not solve RAM being overutilised but might help speed up swap files so could still make some difference.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Nov-20 09:57:33
Print Post

If you can't do a 64bit install as an upgrade (haven't tried one as I always do fresh installs for that sort of thing) then going about 3GB is going to make no difference - you need 64bit to get any benefit from the extra RAM.

EDIT : OK, confirmed you can't do in situ upgrade so even if you upgrade the RAM you will have to do a clean install. If you are even considering this route then doing a clean 64bit install now may improve things without needing the extra RAM.

Edited by ian72 (Wed 04-Nov-20 10:13:35)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Nov-20 11:10:43
Print Post

3 GB is plenty of RAM for normal applications. With a slow hard disk Windows 10 does tend to get bogged down with indexing and virus checking; an SSD does away with this. Unless the OP has definitely determined that the disk activity is down to excessive use of the page file I would suggest that speeding the disk access is the best initial route; for me this has made unusable computers seem fast. I've never had a computer yet that performed well with Windows 10 if it only had a mechanical disk.

The best way to check what is happening is to have a look with Resource Monitor as to which applications are using the disk, how many page faults there are, etc. Turning off indexing on the disk also helps.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Nov-20 11:48:50
Print Post

3GB should be enough (Win 10 can actually run on 1GB) but the OP states
memory is running at 90% or more
There is an issue there. A fresh install could fix it but they don't want to do that. 64bit could fix it but that would also be a fresh install. Other than that there could be some investigative work to find what is using the memory but that is something that isn't easy to diagnose via a forum like this. Installing an SSD will only cover up the issue to some extent.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Nov-20 12:07:51
Print Post

I disagree. Windows 10 does tend to use all RAM (that's what it's there for), a lot of it as cache. Percentage memory usage is meaningless -the question should be whether or not it is overusing the paging file.

You might like to read this article for an explanation of memory usage and how to monitor it: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-use-wind...

Edited by TinyMongomery (Wed 04-Nov-20 12:12:25)

Standard User simonh__
(legend) Sat 12-Dec-20 19:36:47
Print Post

I don't know the answer to your question, but it reminds me back circa 1992 when I wanted to upgrade my Olivetti 286 from 1MB (640k base + 384k extended memory) to a whopping 4MB. As a 12/13 year it took me a while to save up the £30 I needed for the upgrade, unbeknown to me during this time the price of RAM rocketed and what was £30 ended up being over £100. Needless to say I never did get that 4MB ...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to