Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Dec-20 08:00:58
Print Post

Ethernet cabling

[link to this post]

I am using a 30m ethernet cat 5a cable from downstairs to upstairs. Downstairs is a TTB router connected to the phone via a Zyxel VMG-1312-B10A which connected to the phone. The VMG is connected to WAN port on the TTB router and the TTB router is connected on port 1 to a patch cable which is connected to a RJ45 socket which has the 30m ethernet cable punched in. Upstairs is an Asus RT-AC68U being used as as an access point again with socket and patch cable arrangement to the Asus WAN port.

My problem is that as far as I can remember I wired the RJ 45 sockets as all wires on the CAT5a are connected which should give me a 1000 BASE T connection between the TTB and Asus routers. For the immediate term this is not a problem as the fastest download I can get is 60mbps. The link is showing as 100 BASE T on the Asus.

If I ever get FTTP I would need the link to be 1000 BASE T to cope with over 100 mbps speeds. What have I done wrong, is there a difference in 100 BASE T and 1000 BASE T wiring? Why is the link negotiating 100mbps?

Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
TTB Router, Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Highest Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Dec-20 08:48:02
Print Post

Re: Ethernet cabling

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Solved. The moral of the story is not all patch cables are equal. Upstairs I was using a VMG-1312-B10A patch cable (yellow) from socket to Asus. When I connected the Asus and TTB router together using the patch cable still reporting 100mb. Got the patch cable from the TTB router and bingo 1gbps. So swapped the patch cable from Asus to socket for TTB cable and voila.

Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
TTB Router, Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Highest Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to