Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-20 23:49:04
Print Post

Re: Kingston SSD Problem?

[re: risk_reversal] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply.

I never realised that my PC was running rather close to the edge....

Anyway, it looks like I will have to get my IR thermometer out...

With two recommendations for CPUID, I have just loaded CPUID and it is showing the SSD Assembly at 25 deg C and the Drive at 94 deg C with the CPU at 50 deg C. With the PC having been on for the last hour or so.

Maybe an additional fan close to the SSD will help.

(Last year I had to arrange cooling for my VDSL Modem Router, it was situated in our loft adjacent to the NTE and during the summer was somewhat hot. After getting OR to reposition our dropwire so as come into our garage, it now runs a lot cooler.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 30-Dec-20 00:17:54
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

The majority of component overheats will be inadequate cooling (e.g. CPU / GPU), or a lack of case airflow. Run it for an hour with the side off the case and see how the temps change. If it's airflow, temps should drop.
Standard User risk_reversal
(experienced) Wed 30-Dec-20 00:20:35
Print Post

I run a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P very similar board to yours with the AMD970 chipset.

I have an FX-6300 Black edition (with unlocked multipliers). At stock my cpu is only slightly slower than yours.

As a comparison at idle cpu temp is 39-40 Deg C.

I have 3 hard drives, a boot SSD, Samsung 1TB Pro 26 deg C and 2 Seagate 2TB at 27 & 28 Deg C.

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
the Drive at 94 deg C

Not sure I understand what this is but 94 Deg C is way too hot whatever it is!

Your SSD does not need any additional cooling from the temp which you stated.

Since you now have HWMonitor installed check the readings to the 5v and 12v rails from your power supply.

Aside from overall cooling the two areas on your board that need to be monitored are the northbridge ie the AMD 970 and the VRM.

It seems that VRM chips / moffets on your board do not have a heatsink

https://www.overclock.net/threads/asus-m5a97-le-r2-0...

Good Luck

Edited by risk_reversal (Wed 30-Dec-20 00:22:03)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Dec-20 16:42:36
Print Post

[re: risk_reversal] [link to this post]

Re the 94 deg C. Beneath KINGSTON SHSS37A2 CPUIS shows beneath Temperatures: Assembly 25deg C and Drive 94 deg C.

However, this morning after the pc having been shut down for about 10 hours, I checked on CPUID within seconds of the pc booting up and there were the same two temperatures 25 and 94 degrees. So for the moment I am putting that down to being incorrectly read.

I will however, still be opening up and cleaning ot in the very near future. Also seeing how I can best improve cooling.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 30-Dec-20 19:31:50
Print Post

94F would be 34.5C, for what it's worth. Suspicious to be 94C on startup, as you suggest. A dodgy sensor, or no sensor at all might explain it all better.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to