Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-20 17:54:03
Print Post

Kingston SSD Problem?

[link to this post]

Switched on my pc this morning and after about ten minutes it shut down whilst I was reading the BBC news. On restarting it offered me Safe Mode which I accepted and once established I restarted into Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

My pc's C: drive is a Kingston HyperX Savage 240 GB and my data is on D: a 1TB drive and I also have E: which is another 1TB drive. Using a batch file I back up my data on D: to E: as I feel fit. Outlook stores Data on C: and when I run the batch file the Outlook data is also copied to D: & E: (Initially I tried setting up Outlook to store its data on D:, but this proved unreliable.

So guessing that I may have a problem on the SSD C: drive, I have run Kingston's SSD Manager and all appears Ok?

The Kingston SSD is 4.5 years old which replaced my previous Sandisk which was about 3 years old when it failed.

Since this morning I have set the CMOS to Power Reduction and all OK since - about 6/7 hours.

Odd or what?

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-20 18:13:22
Print Post

Re: Kingston SSD Problem?

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

These things happen, often due to brownouts. The safe mode restart would have been the result of not shutting down properly. As the software says all is OK I wouldn't worry about it too much if it's just the single occurrence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-20 18:32:16
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Ooops! I missed out of my OP that it did the same again about 20 minutes later.

One thing I will do is to open the pc up and give it a good clean out. It must be a few months since I last did that. I know that a few months back during long virtual meetings, the fan noise would get louder and louder. It has been much quieter recently - I hope that the fans are at least spinning! Although I did replace one at that time.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold Home::1 FTTC DrayTek Vigor 2762ac Cisco SPA112 and HUAWEI E5776 with O2 Data SIM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 29-Dec-20 19:09:34
Print Post

At first glance there's nothing obvious to suggest the drive. No prompt to run chkdsk, or reporting of bad sectors? Safe mode itself is just a bad shutdown option.

Sound more like a power / temperature thing. I'd be suspecting CPU temp / throttling, CPU fan speed, case ventilation first (since you're already going through the motions of giving it a clean).

Power reduction working suggests the PSU though.
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-20 19:50:13
Print Post

Do you have any means of checking your mains supply? If this was around the time of the recent storm that might explain it. Of course, there are a host of things that could cause this, as Cammie says.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-20 20:16:06
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

I have decent digital metres, plus a lab grade one, but even if connected a glitch would likely not show. My VDSL modem router and my VoIP ATA are on the same ring circuit as this pc and neither show any disruptions in recent times. No flickering lights either.

Weather today was cold and more or less dry. No thunderstorms for some time.

Cheers!

Clive

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-20 20:39:00
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

The power reduction was of my doing after the second shutdown. Currently am not doing anything which needs speed.

My best guess is that it is temperature related.

May have a better guess once I have the case opened up etc.

Its a pity that I don't have a utility which would show temperatures and fan speeds etc. If I go into the CMOS I can see those, but not accesible once booted.

Besides the details I posted earlier my pc has an AMD FX-8 FX-8 Eight Core 8320 Processor, together with an Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 Motherboard (AMD 790 Chipset), with 8GB of DDR3 1600MHz Memory.

Strangely about a month ago I kept getting MS Word crashing out, especially if I had MS Outlook running at the same time.

Cheers!

Clive

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 29-Dec-20 21:07:17
Print Post

Try CPUID's HW Monitor. It's as good as you'll get for monitoring voltages, temps and fan speeds. It only reports what Windows thinks is going on though. The BIOS is the best option for getting an accurate reading, but as you say, not ideal.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Standard User risk_reversal
(experienced) Tue 29-Dec-20 21:15:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ancient_Mariner:
My best guess is that it is temperature related.

From what you describe that would be the prime suspect, for me at least.

Its a pity that I don't have a utility which would show temperatures and fan speeds etc. If I go into the CMOS I can see those, but not accesible once booted.

Loads of free one around though.

HWMonitor. I run Win7 and use v1.28

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html#versi...

To check SSD status, CrytalDiskInfo

I use v7.5.1

https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/...

Besides the details I posted earlier my pc has an AMD FX-8 FX-8 Eight Core 8320 Processor, together with an Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 Motherboard (AMD 790 Chipset), with 8GB of DDR3 1600MHz Memory.

Strangely about a month ago I kept getting MS Word crashing out, especially if I had MS Outlook running at the same time.

Cheers!

Your Asus has the AMD 970 chipset which does run hot and the FX8320 is a 125w TDP cpu on a board with a 4+2 VRM that can only handle TDP 140W.

Also due to cpu memory controller limitations the ram needs to run at 1333Mhz for stability.

Appreciate that your pc may have run fine for a number of years but over time and without proper cooling or set up components which are running on the edge of the board's ability start to fail or misbehave.....

Hope this helps

Edited by risk_reversal (Tue 29-Dec-20 21:24:29)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-20 23:41:49
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Looks like I will have to get my IR thermometer out...

Have just loaded CPUID and it is showing the SSD Assembly at 25 deg C and the Drive at 94 deg C with the CPU at 50 deg C.

The PC has been on for the last hour or so.

Cheers!

Clive

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Dec-20 23:49:04
Print Post

[re: risk_reversal] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply.

I never realised that my PC was running rather close to the edge....

Anyway, it looks like I will have to get my IR thermometer out...

With two recommendations for CPUID, I have just loaded CPUID and it is showing the SSD Assembly at 25 deg C and the Drive at 94 deg C with the CPU at 50 deg C. With the PC having been on for the last hour or so.

Maybe an additional fan close to the SSD will help.

(Last year I had to arrange cooling for my VDSL Modem Router, it was situated in our loft adjacent to the NTE and during the summer was somewhat hot. After getting OR to reposition our dropwire so as come into our garage, it now runs a lot cooler.

Cheers!

Clive

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 30-Dec-20 00:17:54
Print Post

The majority of component overheats will be inadequate cooling (e.g. CPU / GPU), or a lack of case airflow. Run it for an hour with the side off the case and see how the temps change. If it's airflow, temps should drop.
Standard User risk_reversal
(experienced) Wed 30-Dec-20 00:20:35
Print Post

I run a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P very similar board to yours with the AMD970 chipset.

I have an FX-6300 Black edition (with unlocked multipliers). At stock my cpu is only slightly slower than yours.

As a comparison at idle cpu temp is 39-40 Deg C.

I have 3 hard drives, a boot SSD, Samsung 1TB Pro 26 deg C and 2 Seagate 2TB at 27 & 28 Deg C.

the Drive at 94 deg C

Not sure I understand what this is but 94 Deg C is way too hot whatever it is!

Your SSD does not need any additional cooling from the temp which you stated.

Since you now have HWMonitor installed check the readings to the 5v and 12v rails from your power supply.

Aside from overall cooling the two areas on your board that need to be monitored are the northbridge ie the AMD 970 and the VRM.

It seems that VRM chips / moffets on your board do not have a heatsink

https://www.overclock.net/threads/asus-m5a97-le-r2-0...

Good Luck

Edited by risk_reversal (Wed 30-Dec-20 00:22:03)

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Dec-20 16:42:36
Print Post

[re: risk_reversal] [link to this post]

Re the 94 deg C. Beneath KINGSTON SHSS37A2 CPUIS shows beneath Temperatures: Assembly 25deg C and Drive 94 deg C.

However, this morning after the pc having been shut down for about 10 hours, I checked on CPUID within seconds of the pc booting up and there were the same two temperatures 25 and 94 degrees. So for the moment I am putting that down to being incorrectly read.

I will however, still be opening up and cleaning ot in the very near future. Also seeing how I can best improve cooling.

Cheers!

Clive

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 30-Dec-20 19:31:50
Print Post

94F would be 34.5C, for what it's worth. Suspicious to be 94C on startup, as you suggest. A dodgy sensor, or no sensor at all might explain it all better.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to