Technical Discussion
  >> Hardware Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Sat 09-Jan-21 08:40:05
Print Post

Re: Webcam

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
That's not a bad price. Looks similar to the one I have which is only 720p but mic sounds like I am in a tunnel I have been told.

Normally best to use a different microphone anyway, maybe something you can clip on you.

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User neo_wales
(member) Sun 10-Jan-21 12:53:16
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Lots of problems with web cams and built in mics. Using these your square on to the mic and a fair distance away where ideally you want the mic closer and talk across it and not into it face on. Clip on mics can be OK but do pick up clothing rustle type of thing so where possible you want a desktop or hand held mic for better audio clarity.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 main PC
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 10-Jan-21 13:03:45
Print Post

[re: neo_wales] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by neo_wales:
Clip on mics can be OK but do pick up clothing rustle type of thing so where possible you want a desktop or hand held mic for better audio clarity.

I'd agree with the suggestion of a good desktop mic.

A handheld mic for a webcam though?

Unless your WFH is presenting the Baftas I can't see any practical reason for a handheld mic.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jan-21 14:33:00
Print Post

[re: ashdown] [link to this post]

Well it arrived and the picture is clear as day. Mic a bit low (level) but my test caller could hear me ok. Thanks for the recommendation.

Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
TTB Router, Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80/20 Meg Fibre
Speed Test

Highest Sync: 79993/19661

BQM
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Wed 13-Jan-21 08:59:14
Print Post

Well it arrived and the picture is clear as day. Mic a bit low (level) but my test caller could hear me ok. Thanks for the recommendation.

That is the problem with webcam microphones, Windows have a boost that may work, but sometimes it will pick up too much noise,
Right-click on the speaker on the taskbar, go into sound settings, in the window that opens, find the microphone and under it click on device properties, it is between the input device label and the test your microphone thing, on the right-hand side of the next window, click on additional device properties and click on custom, there you should see microphone boost.

I have to get a new microphone to be honest, I am using a zoom H1 and while it works ok, it is not really made for what I use it for, and it is a pain anyway as i have to take it off everytime I need it for the camera.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jan-21 10:20:40
Print Post

Thanks Adrian. I followed the instructions right up to the point of additional device settings and all I could find was general, listen, levels and advanced. Clicked on levels and just a slider which was already set to 100, no boost or anything.

I have a headset which I could use which is plugged into the back Mic port which is slightly louder. Interesting the test mic button said the loudest it could hears was 32%.

In reply to a post by zyborg47:

That is the problem with webcam microphones, Windows have a boost that may work, but sometimes it will pick up too much noise,
Right-click on the speaker on the taskbar, go into sound settings, in the window that opens, find the microphone and under it click on device properties, it is between the input device label and the test your microphone thing, on the right-hand side of the next window, click on additional device properties and click on custom, there you should see microphone boost.

I have to get a new microphone to be honest, I am using a zoom H1 and while it works ok, it is not really made for what I use it for, and it is a pain anyway as i have to take it off everytime I need it for the camera.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Standard User neo_wales
(member) Wed 13-Jan-21 12:35:15
Print Post

Sorry a handheld is not ideal for web cam use. I'm a radio ham and use hand helds but these days I go for desk top/overhanging, running a Heil mic at the moment but that would be overkill for a webcam. Got my grandson a Trust GXT212 from Argos for xmas and its working very well for him.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 main PC
Standard User zyborg47
(legend) Wed 13-Jan-21 12:43:46
Print Post

Thanks Adrian. I followed the instructions right up to the point of additional device settings and all I could find was general, listen, levels and advanced. Clicked on levels and just a slider which was already set to 100, no boost or anything.

I have a headset which I could use which is plugged into the back Mic port which is slightly louder. Interesting the test mic button said the loudest it could hears was 32%.

It used to be on Advanced I think, but not now, strange how it is not on yours, unless it is because it is a usb Microphone, but I can not see that making any difference.
Windows 10 have mucked up audio a fair bit. When I have time later i will stick the Zoom in and see what that does. I was going by my old trust microphone, which is about 15 years old and that uses the 3.5mm jack. the poor thing, is taped together, but still works ok, but i don't use it as the stand is broken.

you are always better off with a external mic anyway.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jan-21 16:59:38
Print Post

Boost is available on the headset mic under levels but not the USB mic. Pah.

Tim
Speed Test

BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to