User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User roftw
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-19 12:58:10
Print Post

3rd Party Router and Phone set-up

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I've had my 1GB services installed last week and I've been trying to figure out the best set-up to use. I haven't had a chance to try the phone line yet because I am still waiting for a phone/adapter to be delivered, but I have some question on how I am going to set the phone up.

I've bought a NETGEAR X6 (Amazon) to allow me to get max speed out of my Wifi. However, I'm still trying to figure out how the phone is going to connect to all of this.

One set-up I tried was connecting the Hyperoptic to the socket on the wall, and then connecting my NETGEAR to the Hyperoptic via LAN and connecting all of my devices to my NETGEAR. For some reason, both cabled and wifi speed that I was getting in my NETGEAR router in this set-up were being pretty rubbish. I believe in this set-up, I can connect the phone to the Hyperoptic router and it should work just fine.

The set-up that I am using right now is: Connecting my NETGEAR to the wall socket straight. In this set-up, I am getting much faster speeds out of my NETGEAR router. I am hoping that I can take a LAN cable and connect my Hyperoptic router as a secondary device to my NETGEAR. Will I be able to then connect the phone to the Hyperoptic router and get signal?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Otherwise, is there a better way of using a phone with a NETGEAR router rather than having to do it via the Hyperoptic router? Maybe an adapter of some sort?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Edited by roftw (Mon 21-Jan-19 13:04:22)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Jan-19 17:11:45
Print Post

Re: 3rd Party Router and Phone set-up

[re: roftw] [link to this post]

One solution, don't use the Hyperoptic phone service at all and use any other VoIP service that has the hardware available e.g. a voip ATA https://amzn.to/2RKkZLa

It may be possible to configure this ATA to work with the Hyperoptic voice service

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Jan-19 17:33:24
Print Post

Re: router choice, the R8000 (X6) isn't a bad router at all, however if you can return it to Amazon, I would instead get the R8000P (X6S) which has a beefier CPU and better wifi (higher spec radios) than the R8000. The R8000P is around £50 dearer though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-R8000P-Nighthawk-Tr...

Re: VOIP adaptor, the Cisco model Mr S suggested is good. I have the Grandstream HT801 (using with yay.com) and it works well and is fairly easy to setup. However before buying any ATA adaptor, I would ask Hyperoptic if their VOIP service can be used with third party hardware . Unless you were planning on using a third party VOIP service?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Video-Skype-Phones/Grands...

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User roftw
(newbie) Mon 21-Jan-19 22:55:47
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Router wise, I've actually decided to go with the NETGEAR XR500 Nighthawk (Amazon). Turns out it has some amazing features like geo-filtering which will come in very handy for online gaming.

With regards to VoIP, can you please explain how the 3rd party service works? How would the Cisco device connect to all of this? And would I have to purchase a subscription of some sort? The only use we have for the land-line is our building has an intercom system that has to ring a phone number. We don't want it to dial one of our mobile numbers, so we have to have a line in the flat for the intercom to ring. I really have no preference who provides the service, as long as I get a UK phone number that the intercom can dial and I have a handset in the flat that I can pick up and open the door...

Thanks alot!
Standard User jpl1953
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-19 08:28:10
Print Post

I use a Gigaset Go box 100 with my Gigaset phones and Hyperoptic gave me the settings I needed to enter into the Gigaset. That way I can use a netgear router without using theirs at all and still use the phone service.
Standard User roftw
(newbie) Tue 22-Jan-19 10:15:21
Print Post

[re: jpl1953] [link to this post]

Can you please explain abit how you have set up your connections? As in, what is connected to what? Router, phone handset, wall socket, Gigaset box, etc.
Standard User christopherwoods
(learned) Tue 22-Jan-19 14:54:50
Print Post

I use the HyperHub and have an old Cisco SPA9000 ATA to use old analogue phones with SIP accounts, and I have a Gigaset DECT/SIP phone - both are just ethernet to the router. I also have my Hyperoptic SIP account set up on my Android handset using Linphone.

You'll need to speak to Hyperoptic CS by phone or email; they will send you the SIP account details. You can only register a device to the SIP account if it is on the Hyperoptic network (so wifi or ethernet to the router), you cannot use it to get landline calls over 4G or while you're away from home. Personally I'm glad of this as the potential for SIP toll fraud would otherwise be far too high for me.

You can use whatever you like - a Gigaset, a Cisco phone, a Grandstream, a 3CX softphone, a Siemens DECT/SIP combo phone - just hook it up to the router and plug in the various SIP details (server, account, password). Most of the time, as long as they support PCMA/PCMU codecs, they'll just start working.

Beware the usual things like one-legged audio or calls dropping after a few seconds, those are usually NAT issues. Lower the registration interval to 20 or 30 seconds down from a default and make sure you're not using 'exotic' codecs which the Hyperoptic SIP server likely don't permit.

I'd recommend you request Hyperoptic CS lower the maximum possible spend on phone account per month - it's quite high normally (£50). If you didn't keep an eye on bills you might inadvertently run up a big bill. I did it to avoid losing money should my account be subject to any toll fraud, but I later found out you can't register on the account off the HO network anyway.

Boo.
Technicolour!
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Tue 22-Jan-19 15:48:38
Print Post

Hi there,

We'd like to assist you with this.

Itís important to note that our phone service will only work through our Hyberhub router. This means that, if you choose to use a third party router instead of our Hyperhub router, you will lose the ability to use your phone.

In order to use our phone service with a third-party router, the Hyperoptic hub and your router will need to be connected in a bridge mode, but in a way that Hyperhub is directly connected to the wall socket.

In order to set up the bridge mode, please follow the steps below:
-Connect your third-party routerís LAN port to the LAN port of our Hyperhub router
-Disable DHCP service on your third-party router
-Disable the Wireless signal on our Hyperhub router (or call us and we can disable it for you, if you only want the third party router broadcasting a wireless signal).

If there's anything else we can assist you with, please let us know.

Thank you.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to [email protected]
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User brookheather
(regular) Tue 22-Jan-19 18:09:49
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Hyperoptic_CS:
-Connect your third-party routerís LAN port to the LAN port of our Hyperhub router
-Disable the Wireless signal on our Hyperhub router (or call us and we can disable it for you, if you only want the third party router broadcasting a wireless signal).

Surely this isn't actually bridge mode as the HyperHub is still acting as a router and so you would have double-NAT issues etc. due to using two routers?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jan-19 23:50:49
Print Post

[re: brookheather] [link to this post]

As connecting lan to lan port it avoids double NAT, but they have forgot the important check that the third party router IP address needs to be checked that it does not clash with the Hyperhub. So not a bridge mode, the hyper hub is still doing the NAT, but you are using the third party router as a wireless access point (some devices actually have this as a setting option)

On the phone not working, this seems at odds with those who say they have obtained the SIP account details and got it working with other routers and VoIP devices

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jpl1953
(newbie) Wed 23-Jan-19 07:55:48
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

This is not true as I don't use the hyperhub and have my telephone service up and running. My Netgear router is connected directly to the Hyperoptic socket via ethernet. I have a gigaset Go 100 box plugged into an ethernet socket on the netgear hub (Actually its via a switch). I then asked Hyperoptic for the SIP settings and entered these in the Gigaset Go 100 box and everything works fine - has done for several years.

In reply to a post by Hyperoptic_CS:
Hi there,

We'd like to assist you with this.

Itís important to note that our phone service will only work through our Hyberhub router. This means that, if you choose to use a third party router instead of our Hyperhub router, you will lose the ability to use your phone.

In order to use our phone service with a third-party router, the Hyperoptic hub and your router will need to be connected in a bridge mode, but in a way that Hyperhub is directly connected to the wall socket.

If there's anything else we can assist you with, please let us know.

Thank you.
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Wed 12-Jun-19 14:54:40
Print Post

In case anyone is interested, I've just replaced my Hyperoptic router with an Asus RT-AC86U.

I bought a Gigaset Sculpture CL750a GO phone, and configured it with the SIP username, password and server given to me by Hyperoptic, and all working as expected.

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to