User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blueacid
(experienced) Wed 03-Apr-19 16:17:29
Print Post

Re: Peering / network throughput issues? (March 2019)

[re: christopherwoods] [link to this post]

Have you had any further reply from Hyperoptic about this?
Your findings are similar to mine... currently I'm on a discounted price for the gigabit service, but when the contract ends I'm thinking of stepping down to 150/150. The 'gigabit' connectivity is often 300-400mbit, which isn't that much of a step up from 150...
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Wed 03-Apr-19 17:11:58
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

I think there is a lack of appreciation among people that just because you have a X Mbps connection that all your downloads are going to run at X Mbps. At work I have had 1 Gbps on my desktop for over a decade now, and even have some 10Gbps machines. It is rare to be able to max out the 1Gbps connection over the wider internet unless the remote machines are carefully chosen.

I guess in the past when X was a relatively small number say under 100, then most downloads did go at X Mbps and people assume (wrongly) that it would keep doing the same.

The big advantage of a much faster connection is multiple activities being able to go on at once.
Standard User blueacid
(experienced) Wed 03-Apr-19 17:16:50
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

That's the issue though, you could get 1Gbps through careful selection, I can't even manage that.
Best I can hope for is 800ish, typically I'd expect an arbitrary connection to accomplish around 400mbit... but then connections to Netflix struggle to break 100mbit.

While on the one hand it's impossible to guarantee the throughput, there's been a definite drop-off in performance compared to before.

I note that my question about external link utilisation has not been answered, but Hyperoptic's CS team have been replying to other messages since I made that request.

This smells of congestion, and at the time of writing this I'm not seeing any compelling evidence to suggest otherwise.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Fri 05-Apr-19 16:30:50
Print Post

Hi,

Thanks for your question.

We've checked this with the team in charge and we did not have any issues with our links in the past month.

Unfortunately, we do not have a link monitoring tool that our customers can access, however, you can always write a quick email to [email protected] if you want to check this and we'll get back to you.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to [email protected]
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Fri 05-Apr-19 16:56:26
Print Post

The careful selection involves picking other Universities on the JANET network that are on the same metropolitan area network, or are very close by. So between say Strathclyde and Glasgow and Glasgow Caledonian you are golden. Between those three and say Edinburgh or Heriot-Watt, also good to go.

You can basically never get it going on the genuine wider internet and even further afield in JANET it's tricky.

People's expectations are at this point in time unrealistic IMHO.
Standard User blueacid
(experienced) Fri 12-Apr-19 10:18:15
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Looks like Hyperoptic have recently augmented their peering capacity in London.
Linx 1 went from 90 to 200Gbps, and Lonap from 60 to 200Gbps.

I wonder whether this will have sped things up at all..
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to