User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User blueacid
(experienced) Fri 05-Jul-19 09:22:52
Print Post

Is CGNAT still present?

[link to this post]

Just had a re-read of the Terms of Service on Hyperoptic's website, and they only mention a dynamic IP & the option to pay extra for a static IP address...

...does this mean that the dynamic IP addresses are 'normal', routable ones? Or is it a dynamic IP behind their cgnat equipment?

Cheers,
Blueacid
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Jul-19 14:21:07
Print Post

Re: Is CGNAT still present?

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

https://www.hyperoptic.com/faq/posts/static-ip-addre...

They use CGNAT for IPV4 unless you pay for a static IP.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Sat 13-Jul-19 15:09:32
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

Hi there,

Due to a lack of IPv4 addresses, Hyperoptic uses CGN because it allows for more efficient use of our IPv4 address range. This means that your public IP address is shared among several other users. There are some applications that may be affected by this - applications such as online gaming, VPNs, P2P applications and hosting at homes. If you do notice any issues with these applications, we can provide you with a static IP address for the price of £5 per month. The static IP address is an add-on to your account, and you can, therefore, choose to add it or remove it whenever you wish, as it won't impact your minimum period with us.

We hope this helps.

Thank you.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to [email protected]
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nissemus_UK
(newbie) Sun 14-Jul-19 13:39:30
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

I thought the move to IPv6 was supposed to be completed in 2018. Do we have any idea when it's likely to be finished?
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Jul-19 20:29:39
Print Post

[re: Nissemus_UK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Nissemus_UK:
I thought the move to IPv6 was supposed to be completed in 2018. Do we have any idea when it's likely to be finished?
They won't be 'moving to' IPv6. At least I hope for their customer's sake they won't be. At present most ISPs that support IPv6 support both protocols on their network. This is necessary because not all equipment and not all websites support IPv6 (curiously it seems that www.bbc.co.uk is still not IPv6 ready). Indeed there are vast numbers of business LANs that don't support it because the administrators are (rightfully) scared about the implications.

So what Hyperoptic will be doing is making IPv6 available as an additional protocol that devices can use as/when/if they want to. IPv4 will remain in use (along with, sadly, CGNAT) for the foreseeable future. Eventually (hopefully) IPv6 will become so prevalent that IPv4 can be retired but that point is probably a decade away. Maybe several decades away.

Mind you I could express surprise that Hyperoptic didn't support IPv6 right from the start. It's hardly a new technology and some other ISPs (such as mine) have been supporting it for nigh-on a decade. Still Hyperoptic are in good company. Plusnet don't support it yet either.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 15-Jul-19 20:39:29)

(newbie) Mon 15-Jul-19 23:15:17
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Yes, I'm well aware of that. Perhaps I should have written "introduction of" instead of "move to".

I would still like an answer to my question.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Tue 16-Jul-19 12:53:24
Print Post

[re: Nissemus_UK] [link to this post]

Hi! Though IPv6 has been rolled out in most areas that are covered by our service, there might be some sites that are still in the process. We are looking to complete the IPv6 rollout as quickly as possible, but if you wish to check a specific address, please send us the details in the private message and we'll check this for you!

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to [email protected]
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(newbie) Tue 16-Jul-19 17:48:21
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic_CS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Hyperoptic_CS:
Hi! Though IPv6 has been rolled out in most areas that are covered by our service, there might be some sites that are still in the process. We are looking to complete the IPv6 rollout as quickly as possible, but if you wish to check a specific address, please send us the details in the private message and we'll check this for you!

Thanks! I've sent you a PM.
  Print Thread

Jump to