User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jamesgooner
(experienced) Sun 09-Feb-20 19:30:32
Print Post

New Install, Extended install

[link to this post]

Evening all, i'm due to be installed on 17 March on 150MB service I've asked for extended install as not sure 10 meters is enough to were i want router, would like to know with extended install would that affect my speed. ,
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Feb-20 20:06:28
Print Post

Re: New Install, Extended install

[re: jamesgooner] [link to this post]

At an informed guess - no.

Surely the ten metres is just for an ethernet link between the router and whatever goes on the wall on the end of the fibre.

You could do that run yourself in cat 6 and then not need the extended install.

Standard User jamesgooner
(experienced) Sun 09-Feb-20 20:24:55
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Evening, i want router in my bedroom were my laptop is, & power socket, want to connect with Ethernet cable so standard install cabling isn't enough, there is a power socket at front door but don't want to run Ethernet cable all around flat to my front door.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User blueacid
(experienced) Mon 10-Feb-20 14:16:39
Print Post

Hyperoptic's delivery to the premises is either ethernet or fibre. These don't slow down with added distance (unlike FTTC or ADSL); they either work or don't. So the extra distance won't make a difference to the speed.

The installer will run the ethernet cable from the entrypoint to the location you want the hyperoptic socket. So you're going to have ethernet running to the front door either way, the only difference will be which person installed it - you or the hyperoptic engineer.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Mon 10-Feb-20 15:01:31
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
The installer will run the ethernet cable from the entrypoint to the location you want the hyperoptic socket. So you're going to have ethernet running to the front door either way, the only difference will be which person installed it - you or the hyperoptic engineer.

Noting the installer *will* run it around the skirting etc., where as if you arrange it yourself you could get a "tidier", aka none visible cables under floorboards, in the wall etc. solution. Though likely with more disruption and cost.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Mon 10-Feb-20 15:55:53
Print Post

Hey there,

As blueacid mentioned, the location of the installation will not affect your wired speed. The only thing that should be mentioned is that the range of the 5Ghz network wifi network is up to 5 metres and as it a higher frequency it cannot penetrate walls or solid objects. Therefore if you if want to use that network in your living room, for example, you may consider installing the socket there. However, you can also use a longer ethernet cable to do this. We would suggest cat5e as that is the cable we use.

We hope this helps. If you have any other questions, we're always here to assist.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to [email protected]
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User christopherwoods
(learned) Fri 14-Feb-20 01:27:46
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Indeed, and the install won't be discreet - they'll use cable clamps nailed or hammered into the skirting board, and possibly use cable which doesn't match the wall colour.

Honestly if you need ethernet in a room away from the Hyperhub, have the Hyperhub and socket installed as close to the external access as possible, then use good quality Homeplugs over your mains power circuits, then stick a cheap Netgear Prosafe or TP-Link switch on the other end. Much better solution and no ethernet wires required at all to run through the property. Small initial outlay but great flexibility.

Hyperoptic 1000/1000 - zoom zoom!
Technicolour!
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Feb-20 08:15:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by jamesgooner:
Evening, i want router in my bedroom were my laptop is, & power socket, want to connect with Ethernet cable so standard install cabling isn't enough, there is a power socket at front door but don't want to run Ethernet cable all around flat to my front door.

What about homeplug?
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Sun 16-Feb-20 12:27:34
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Hey there! We are able to relocate the socket to a more convenient or centrally located place in the apartment. This kind of visit is called extension and it is chargeable £30. We can book it in for a date and time you choose, provided we have availability. Before proceeding with the extension, we can always arrange a site survey, so you can discuss the options with one of our engineers. We're available 24/7 and you can reach us any time via phone (0333 332 1111)/ e-mail ([email protected]) / live chat. Let us know should you have any more questions.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to [email protected]
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to