User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User The_Zealot
(newbie) Tue 02-Jun-20 03:26:16
Print Post

Setting up third party router Asus RT-AX88U

[link to this post]

Less than a year ago I purchased this Asus RT-AX88U router to see if it helped with the random disconnections I was getting with Virgin Media's Super Hub, and it worked like a charm, so when I got Hyperoptic last week, I insisted on using this router, which the engineer obliged, and connected the Cat5e cable straight to my router.

However I'm quite unhappy with the loading times of pages, including time-sensitive things like a last second bid on eBay. Loading a page can take 5 seconds sometimes, and I got one that even took 20 seconds!
I'm also getting a LOT of repeated messages of "Welcome to the chat room!" on Twitch on an open tab, which indicates that I'm getting disconnections as well, even if they're unnoticeable otherwise.

So surely there must be something wrong with my router's configuration, that just isn't compatible with the plug-and-play of the cable and that's it. There must be something amiss, but I just don't know where to start troubleshooting, and need help, including on basic stuff like what the Gateway IP I should be using, etc.
The DNS servers are the ones from "Cloudflare + malware protection", but all other settings I'm pretty clueless, and your help is appreciated.
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Tue 02-Jun-20 11:06:08
Print Post

Re: Setting up third party router Asus RT-AX88U

[re: The_Zealot] [link to this post]

What happens when you try with the Hyperoptic router?

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Jun-20 11:09:55
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

Also what happens when you use the Hyperoptic DNS

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Jun-20 11:11:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

A further thought is that som issues may be due to the CGNAT on IPv4 by default and in chat rooms there may be bot protection that acts when it sees multiple users from apparently the same IP address

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User haydnwalker
(newbie) Tue 02-Jun-20 13:25:08
Print Post

As others have suggested my first port of call would be DNS settings on the Router

Switch them to detect DNS automatically.

Then try using google's DNS for one - probably secondary, leaving the Primary as the Hyperoptic one that the Router should automatically detect.

Regards,
Haydn
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Tue 02-Jun-20 13:49:46
Print Post

Hi! Though you're using Asus router and our support is limited for third-party devices, we'll be happy to check your line and see if we can help. Please find some guidelines we prepared, it can be a handy solution for some connection setups, and PM us your address if you need any assistance. We'll gladly assist if there's anything we can adjust from our part. https://www.hyperoptic.com/help/router/

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to [email protected]
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User The_Zealot
(newbie) Mon 08-Jun-20 04:06:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have to admit, it did improve a good bit.

However, even though I'm no longer waiting up to 20 seconds for a website to open, it's still clear that Hyperoptic is slower than Virgin Media was at opening websites and reacting to what I do online.

And then there's the random internet slow-downs, yesterday (Sunday) at 9pm the internet went down to a crawl to 60 mbps download and 45 mbps upload, and even though the ping was still 1-2 ms, that was exactly how the internet browsing felt like with a non-Hyperoptic DNS.

So I'm reaching the end of the 14 days trial period, and I don't know what to do. There's something wrong. But it's not always wrong, and therefore I can't troubleshoot it. I love that I can get more than 20 mbps upload unlike Virgin Media, but heck, even my wife notices that the internet is slow sometimes on simple things like Facebook. Yesterday I even had to turn wifi off on my phone because I saw a discord notification at the top, but when I open the app, nothing shows up. Once I turn off wifi and use 4G, the messages arrive all at the same time. Then I forget to turn it back on until I get a notification that I used 80% of my data plan already. D:

So I must fork my investigation here:
1) Figure out if the issue is Hyperoptic.
2) Figure out if the issue is the AX88U not being good enough to use with Hyperoptic.
3) A mixture of the above.

But I don't even know where to start with the troubleshooting. I doubt Asus would want me to succeed either, and RMA (and possibly refund) their router. Your assistance is really appreciated.
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Mon 08-Jun-20 09:33:54
Print Post

You're saying 60Mbps is a crawl?

Are you trying from a wired PC or wifi?

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
(isp) Mon 08-Jun-20 10:05:48
Print Post

We'll be happy to help you check if there's anything coming from our part of the connection. Feel free to send us a private message with your address, and we'll be on it.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to [email protected]
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User The_Zealot
(newbie) Mon 08-Jun-20 14:51:34
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

Hi Locutus, it's wired.

But even if it was wireless, this router supports Wifi 6, and so does my phone, a 2020 Samsung Galaxy S20+. My property is a two bedroom maisonette in London, so it's small and doesn't have thick walls blocking the signal.

The point is that it's not really 60 mbps, it's what Speedtest says it is. The internet was really slow, I test it on speedtest, get 60 down 45 up. The only useful metric here could be me only having 6% and 4.5% of my contracted speed, which indicates that there was something not quite right with the network at that time.
However it was only something that happened for a few minutes, so the speedtest is all I have. I don't know what else to do other than using speedtest. I'm not technically qualified to troubleshoot this, and Hyperoptic doesn't want to move a finger for someone using a third party router, other than doing "their checks" which always come back fine. I'm trying this forum in the hope of learning a bit of that technical qualification that I need, or learn of a tool or some tools or just some router configurations that could help me figure out why my internet is erratic and not a flawless experience.
(isp) Mon 08-Jun-20 20:07:43
Print Post

Hey there!

Although our diagnostics may show everything working properly, when a third party router is used, the only thing we can test is up to the socket point.

But let's see if we can find a solution going by the system of elimination. Do you still have our router stored? It's default is entirely set up to support our service and if you need a router model update, we can check and provide, free of charge. Compare how it goes with our router connected, versus the Asus router you invested in, speedtest and practical use alike, then feel free to DM us to let us know!

If you notice any differences, we'd suggest chasing ASUS support.

We hope this suggestion helps!

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Standard User d3m0nedge
(newbie) Mon 08-Jun-20 21:45:50
Print Post

You'll need to tweak/fine tune the settings on the router to get the best out of it! I've been using my AX88U with Virgin Media since March 2019 (was an RT-AC66U for 3 years solid before), and have been using the AX88U with Hyperoptic since April this year.

I can proudly say that I am able to achieve gigabit download capabilities on WiFi with my Surface Pro 7, and on Ethernet as well, with speeds in excess of 900Mbps up and down in the middle of the day.

Let me know if you would like some hints.

Hyperoptic 1Gbps --- Asus RT-AX88U --- x2 TP-Link SG108E Switches
Standard User The_Zealot
(newbie) Mon 08-Jun-20 22:17:47
Print Post

[re: d3m0nedge] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by d3m0nedge:
You'll need to tweak/fine tune the settings on the router to get the best out of it! I've been using my AX88U with Virgin Media since March 2019 (was an RT-AC66U for 3 years solid before), and have been using the AX88U with Hyperoptic since April this year.

I can proudly say that I am able to achieve gigabit download capabilities on WiFi with my Surface Pro 7, and on Ethernet as well, with speeds in excess of 900Mbps up and down in the middle of the day.

Let me know if you would like some hints.

Would I ever?!? laugh laugh laugh
Yes please, a resounding yes, you are very much the kind of person I was hoping would reach out to me kind sir! How would you like us to chat d3m0nedge?
Standard User d3m0nedge
(newbie) Mon 08-Jun-20 22:29:33
Print Post

Hi The_Zealot

No worries at all. I'll ping you a PM as I don't want to flood this forum post.

I'll share with you on what we can do to eliminate factors that can assist in testing and configuring your router away from the "Auto" modes.

Hyperoptic 1Gbps --- Asus RT-AX88U --- x2 TP-Link SG108E Switches

Edited by d3m0nedge (Mon 08-Jun-20 22:30:07)

Standard User The_Zealot
(newbie) Mon 08-Jun-20 23:04:00
Print Post

[re: d3m0nedge] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by d3m0nedge:
Hi The_Zealot

No worries at all. I'll ping you a PM as I don't want to flood this forum post.

I'll share with you on what we can do to eliminate factors that can assist in testing and configuring your router away from the "Auto" modes.

Great stuff.
By the way, I'm using the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware. Do let me know if this is incompatible with what you had in mind for me.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to