User comments on ISPs
  >> Hyperoptic

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User alesarco
(regular) Thu 08-Oct-20 15:29:44
Print Post

Problem with 5Ghz

[link to this post]

I have the Tilgin router with 2 SSID configured, one with 2.4Ghz (because I still have a couple of old devices that don't support 5Ghz), and the other with 5Ghz.
The 2.4Ghz one works well, although obviously slower than the other.
The 5Ghz one is a bit problematic, because sometimes it is not visible to devices. The happens with a diverse variety of devices, a Dell XP laptop, a Microsoft Surface laptop, a Huawei phone, a One Plus phone, and even with an LG smart TV, even if all these devices are in the same room and as close as 1 meter from the router.
The SSID is simply not visible when the device starts and tries to connect to it, it only shows after a few minutes, even happens in my laptop when it comes back from sleep mode. Sometimes when it shows is with a poor signal level, even if it seems to improve later.

What can be the reason for this, might it be a problem with the router?

--------------------------
Hyperoptic 1Gb
Standard User locutus
(experienced) Fri 09-Oct-20 11:47:33
Print Post

Re: Problem with 5Ghz

[re: alesarco] [link to this post]

Have you tried to change the control channel for the 5GHz band?

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Standard User alesarco
(regular) Fri 09-Oct-20 12:35:15
Print Post

[re: locutus] [link to this post]

Well, it doesn't seem to be interference at the current channel:
https://imgur.com/a/0xkg0eh
(mine is AleNetwork)
Can this happen because of the channel even if it's not in the same channel as other nearby networks?

Hyperoptic 1Gb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User locutus
(experienced) Fri 09-Oct-20 12:40:41
Print Post

Some devices can't see some channels. Try setting it between 36-48 and seeing if the devices can see the SSID.

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Standard User tallmansix
(newbie) Fri 09-Oct-20 16:05:51
Print Post

Those are "DFS" channels that you are using - 52 to 64 and 100-140 so they might drop out if there are any local radars - eg if you live near an airport.

The regulations state that Wi-Fi access points using those channels must first listen out for any radar signals for a minute or so before they can start broadcasting. If they detect a radar they will move to another channel.

I think they also check periodically whilst the access point is up so it is possible there is something it is detecting that makes it think there is a radar on those channels.

Try manually selecting in the 36-48 range first to see if the problem goes away, if it does, it is likely to be the DFS issue.

Maybe that is why nobody else nearby is using that channel.

Edited by tallmansix (Fri 09-Oct-20 16:09:34)

Standard User alesarco
(regular) Fri 09-Oct-20 16:43:01
Print Post

[re: tallmansix] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tallmansix:
Those are "DFS" channels that you are using - 52 to 64 and 100-140 so they might drop out if there are any local radars - eg if you live near an airport.

The regulations state that Wi-Fi access points using those channels must first listen out for any radar signals for a minute or so before they can start broadcasting. If they detect a radar they will move to another channel.

Ah, that would make sense, I set it as auto and it moved to ch 44. Now is overlapping some other networks, and the signal strength fell to 65%. We'll see., thanks.

Hyperoptic 1Gb
ISP Representative Hyperoptic_CS
(isp) Fri 09-Oct-20 16:54:08
Print Post

Hi there! Other users already provided some very good explanation on the channel visibility, but feel free to PM us your address if you need any further assistance.

Customer Support
www.hyperoptic.com

Prefer to talk to the team? Call Customer Support on 0333 332 1111 or email to [email protected]
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User tallmansix
(newbie) Fri 09-Oct-20 17:30:44
Print Post

Yes, let us know how you get on, a stable signal with overlap is preferable to one that keeps dropping out. The 5Ghz channel are really wide and have much bigger bandwidth so overlapping with somebody else is not as much of an issue as 2.4 Ghz channels.
Standard User alesarco
(regular) Sat 10-Oct-20 08:41:43
Print Post

[re: tallmansix] [link to this post]

So far so good since I moved to ch 44
Thanks everybody for your help.

Hyperoptic 1Gb

Edited by alesarco (Sat 10-Oct-20 08:42:16)

Print Thread

Jump to