User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(regular) Sat 06-Oct-12 10:16:33
Print Post

New Packages from IDNet

[link to this post]

IDNet has just revised all its BB packages and done away with peak and off-peak times. Will undoubtedly be welcomed by many but will put off some heavy downloaders. That said, the customer forum indicates the existing customers will be allowed to remain on legacy packages.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:01:09
Print Post

Re: New Packages from IDNet

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Geeezzzz!

I just went to their Home Page to have a look. See what I see.

D R E A D F U L.

The huge (pointless) pic changes avery 4-5 seconds and I see a crunched up pathetic-looking menu at the top left that has a shrunken login link and almost overlapping columns.

So I scroll the page down. The picture changing continues, and a down-arrow appears at the bottom of the screen.

As the picture changes, (when scrolled down), the scroll bar jumps up to the middle of its range, then drops again to the bottom, whereupon the the picture changes again.

If, (and I have to move fast as I'm using the trackpad on my laptop), try to click on that down-arrow I get a horizontal scroll bar almost obliterating it. If I do manage to click it, nothing happens.

Even I could do better than that, and I recon I am a lousy site designer. Which is odd, because wrt Windows application design I do very user-friendly screens and handling.

[/rant]. Now I'll see if I can find some useful info there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.0/13.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User TMA
(member) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:11:54
Print Post

Hurrah, no more second class Internet for people stuck on ADSL Max (BT haven't even bothered to announce a date for my exchange to go to ADSL2 - gits). With all the downloadable content for games and HD videos on iplayer etc, having to manage 30GB each month was becoming a chore.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:17:03
Print Post

Hmmmm. Prices gone up substantially. Lowest fibre is now £27pm for 40/2, with 25GB/unlimited. Used to be ~£25.52 for 40/10, 15/45GB with the option (I took) to pay a year in advance and only pay 11 months. PN is giving me 80/20 250GB/unlimited for £19.99. Plusnet 40/10 40GB/unlimited is £16.49.

Having been on all IDNet 40/10 as above, PN 40/2 that is now 40/10 with no price increase, and now the PN 80/20 above, I notice no difference in network performance.

The general impression is as Timico did to Newnet. Concentrate on business and actively discourage consumer/SOHO. Maybe that explains the recent appearance of a few complaints here of less than helpful support. Previously unheard of.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:20:35
Print Post

[re: TMA] [link to this post]

Unless the non-fibre products are all using LLU connections, don't count on higher sync than now. All they may have done is merge the ADSL and ADSL2+ BT Wholesale products like nearly all ISPs did ages ago.

IIRC IDNet do have LLU links. Possibly Be.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:32:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

They have cocked up big with the site layout. The big picture pops up on the ADSL page, and forces a horizontal scroll. Someone using fixed image sizes.

Edit, and misuse of 'clear' or inline / block stuff. Very bad indeed.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.

Edited by camieabz (Sat 06-Oct-12 13:34:38)

Standard User flippery
(member) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:47:48
Print Post

I see nothing wrong with the IDNet Home Page, smart and clean IMO. Easy to traverse links at top, size about same as my Browser.
Trackpads waste of time usb mouse easier and quicker.
Prices for Non Fibre / LLU. High compared to other providers. Saying that, would look at if ever problem with existing provider.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Oct-12 13:50:17
Print Post

and God help those with poor eyesight - haven't they heard of the Disability Discrimination Act and the RNIB contrast recommendations
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 14:08:36
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
I see nothing wrong with the IDNet Home Page, smart and clean IMO. Easy to traverse links at top, size about same as my Browser.
Trackpads waste of time usb mouse easier and quicker.
Well this is a less than one year old Sony i5 machine 17" laptop with 1600x900 resolution. Did you click my link? And the jumping behaviour is appalling. One assumes someone with a much larger screen and higher resolution, such as you apparently have, designed it. Hardly consumer grade. The huge pictures, in relation to everything else, are silly, and the very short replace interval makes them extremely distracting.

An awful lot of users won't have screens as high spec as mine, never mind yours.

Re trackpad, I used to agree they were painful. So I carried on using my thumb-wheel USB mouse for a while. Got really fed up with it to be honest. Fine on a desk, but not on a dining room table or when moving to an armchair and stool in front of the TV to run F1 Live Timing when qualifying and races are on. Started getting RSI as well. A USB mouse would add even more clutter.

So I learned to use the trackpad and am now perfectly happy. The more varied finger use is good.

There should be no reason I should have the hassle I describe. Simply poor site design, as others also comment.

ISP Representative simon_idnet
(isp) Sat 06-Oct-12 16:34:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by lexden16:
IDNet has just revised all its BB packages and done away with peak and off-peak times. Will undoubtedly be welcomed by many but will put off some heavy downloaders. That said, the customer forum indicates the existing customers will be allowed to remain on legacy packages.

That's right, no change to existing packages, unless you ask to change to one of the new ones.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Sat 06-Oct-12 16:52:50
Print Post

It views fine on a four year old Toshiba running Vista and Firefox.
Interesting comparison

Edited by wingco1 (Sat 06-Oct-12 16:53:39)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 17:00:36
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

I'm somewhat unclear on what the tbb comparison charts have to do with the new IDNet Home Page? I assumed the link would be to a screen shot of it tongue.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 17:02:14
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

It seems there are resolution-specific stylesheets. Hmm.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

mod'er·a'tion n.
Synonyms: temperance, restraint, modesty.
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Sat 06-Oct-12 17:47:22
Print Post

I assumed
Don't assume, check smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 06-Oct-12 18:57:57
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wingco1:
I assumed
Don't assume, check smile
smile
I assumed I was going to see a screenshot that looked a lot better than mine. So I clicked, and was a little disappointed. I'd like to see a screenshot if possible please? So I can see how it should be.

Also what are your screen resolutions? If lower than mine I can try that, out of interest.

Standard User IanBB
(regular) Sun 07-Oct-12 01:29:38
Print Post

It renders a lot better in Firefox (although the readability leaves a lot to be desired)

Here it is on entry (including the arrow you refer to)

http://i48.tinypic.com/317gqxj.jpg

Mouseover on the arrow brings up a hidden menu

http://i46.tinypic.com/344bfwp.jpg

ETA It's the same as above in IE10

Edited by IanBB (Sun 07-Oct-12 06:28:42)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Oct-12 06:48:40
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Good Lord! You can tell, from my screenshot and description I had no idea what it was supposed to look like.

So I just tried Opera and at first I thought it wsa how it should be. Tried my normal IE9 and that looks OK as well, on the face of things. But neither is bug-free. Ummm same on Chrome.

They haven't fully fixed it. Have you run the cursor over that down arrow? First you might find a little sideways jump, and second you might find you don't get all of the content of that drop-down.

On Opera I can avoid that because there is a small slider present at the bottom right and you can reduce the size of the rendered content within the window. I can then get right to the bottom, with no sideways jump - bringing the Copyright text and the 0800 number into view.

However that makes the text very small, and the reduction propagates to all pages. Not good.

On the other two that isn't present, so I can't do that. By a bit of fast fingerwork again I can get the stuff to flash for a fraction of a second, but it can't be held.

Right - a bit more experimenting, (or should I call it basic/elementary development testing?), on all three browsers clicking the broadband icon embedded in the big picture give me perfectly working pages, at full size. So they are nearly there tongue.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Oct-12 06:55:05
Print Post

Either you edited in the stuff about the down arrow, or I was so amazed after clicking the first link I didn't see it. Hence my post just now. What size windows are you using by the way? My three are giving a much larger version than your screenshots.

And thanks for the post - I hadn't thought of trying Opera which I use concurrently with IE. (I don't know how that would have been of course).

Standard User IanBB
(regular) Sun 07-Oct-12 07:22:24
Print Post

Both of the images were uploaded around the same time (ie original time of post)

I only edited it quite a bit later to add the bit about IE10.

My native resolution is 1920x1080 but I was just using a windowed version of it.

This is full screen using FF (note the vertical scroll bar though, they obviously can't get their scaling right)

http://i48.tinypic.com/bg2owh.jpg

Edited by IanBB (Sun 07-Oct-12 07:25:29)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Oct-12 09:29:15
Print Post

And when you click the down-arrow? Does it work OK? Not as I describe?

It's a lot better than it was, but not yet as it should be.

And frankly, even once they get it fully sorted, so much screen space devoted to nothing doesn't really impress me.

It has been suggested to me that my initial looks at the site, (I did try a few times), may have been picking up old site CSS files from a DNS server that hadn't updated at that stage. Hence it having corrected now. That sounds very possible. These other issues remain though.

Standard User TMA
(member) Sun 07-Oct-12 13:32:36
Print Post

Yes, I realise this is what they've done. I'm merely pleased that I can move onto a package that gives me 100GB a month for almost the same money as I'm paying currently for 30GB. 8Mbit is okay, I just have to wait longer for downloads than the city boys smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 07-Oct-12 13:50:38
Print Post

[re: TMA] [link to this post]

That's OK then smile. Your first post implied you thought you were going to get ADSL2+ even though WBC isn't there.

I haven't looked at the ADSLx pricing. That's for the plebs, officer! Just the FIbre ones, which seem to have gone up a fair bit. So have the allowances I agree, but certainly at the Lite/Starter end (I was on Starter Fibre for a year), I think they will be out of reach for consumers, given the improving reputation of BT Infinity and PN with considerably lower prices.

Edit - By the way, my comments about prices are not a criticism. Just an observation, suggesting to me that they are moving a little more upmarket.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 07-Oct-12 14:10:29)

Standard User IanBB
(regular) Mon 08-Oct-12 10:43:06
Print Post

I didn't need to click on the arrow, simply moving the mouse over it was sufficient to drop down the menu.
Standard User dsch
(member) Mon 08-Oct-12 10:44:05
Print Post

Appears phone packages have changed as well. A charge for 0845 calls is now being levied where as before it was included.

It would have been nice to have been sent an email informing customers of the upcoming changes. Seems short-sited. I hope it is not an indication of a shift to a business model that ignores those of us who have enjoyed stable, hassle free internet service at home.

I watch with caution.
ISP Representative simon_idnet
(isp) Mon 08-Oct-12 11:09:45
Print Post

[re: dsch] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dsch:
Appears phone packages have changed as well. A charge for 0845 calls is now being levied where as before it was included.

It would have been nice to have been sent an email informing customers of the upcoming changes. Seems short-sited. I hope it is not an indication of a shift to a business model that ignores those of us who have enjoyed stable, hassle free internet service at home.

I watch with caution.

There is no change to the old packages (your prices have not changed) they are just no longer available to be ordered.
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Mon 08-Oct-12 19:13:24
Print Post

[re: simon_idnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon_idnet:
There is no change to the old packages (your prices have not changed) they are just no longer available to be ordered.
But what happens to those on the old packages when BT increase their prices? EG for line rental. Do they simply move in line with BTs price increases or will that be the point at which they are dropped and people moved to the new offerings?
Standard User lodge
(committed) Mon 08-Oct-12 19:33:11
Print Post

[re: Tacitus] [link to this post]

I believe many of BT Retail prices are increasing on 5th January next which may be a reflection of increased charges from BT Wholesale.
Standard User partial
(regular) Mon 08-Oct-12 20:55:40
Print Post

[re: lodge] [link to this post]

BT Wholesale have reduced prices rather than increasing them. Retailers have not passed on the reduced costs.

Any none positive comment previously on IDNET would lead to correspondents being shouted down by prolific posters, post removal and lengthy removal of posting rights on ThinkBroadband.

Times are changing. Curiously IDNET are clearly no longer the forum darlings they used to be. crazy

Edited by partial (Mon 08-Oct-12 21:24:19)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 08-Oct-12 22:38:07
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Well your first line is useful and interesting.

Pity about the rest.

Standard User dsch
(member) Wed 10-Oct-12 08:59:36
Print Post

I've been really happy with IDNet! Support, reliability, just about everything really. Download limits could be more generous, but it has been a trade off I've been prepared to accept for a service that just works. I was considering switching my phone line, but now it doesn't seem to make sense financially. The new changes have made me sit up and take notice of prices and limits of other providers. I'm not ready to jump ship just yet, but I feel it is time to have a serious look at who else is out there, particularly as I consider Fibre. Is anyone prepared to offer advice of what other ISP providers offer a service that is reliable, friendly and has service good quality back up. I know you get what you pay for, but is there a middle road?

Thanks
Standard User lexden16
(regular) Wed 10-Oct-12 09:32:00
Print Post

I watched a TV programme last night about the importance of customer retention in the digital services sector. Sadly, IDNet did not think it good PR to inform its existing customers of the package changes; the change options open to existing customers; the implications for customers who wish to change who have paid for a year in advance, and how price rises will be applied to legacy packages. With the increase in phone rental (which I know all phone-providers are having to manage), the loss of the BB/telephone package discount and the apparent removal of the pre-paid annual option, IDNet has done away with some its unique selling points. Like dsch, I am now considering my options. The roll-out of FTTC has undoubtedly narrowed the gap in the quality versus price debate.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 10-Oct-12 13:12:12
Print Post

See my first post in the thread.

I could give more info, but I don't feel I want to in this forum as I have great respect for IDNet and Simon. I suggest you should both be asking in Which ISP, or in the case of FTTC in the Fibre forum. Infinity is not the only answer.

Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Standard User smurf46
(member) Thu 11-Oct-12 10:30:04
Print Post

Unfortunately when you simplify packages (and IDNet's former offerings were complicated) some people will loose out - it's the nature of the game. But they've ameliorated that as much as possible by keeping existing customers on their old packages unless they opt to change. Nothing difficult about it. How does that prejudice customer retention in any sense?

The problem is that we in the UK are addicted to "cheap as chips" internet. IDNet play a different game - they try to give a quality service - as far as the part under their control, the backbone network is concerned - for a fair price. Ask what you need their lower latency and greater redundancy for? For normal domestic use (especially streaming, web browsing etc) it's probably over-specified so there's a trade off between quality and price. Simples. And many small businesses seem to manage too on the cheap as chips services. It's no drama; and for most of us it won't break the bank either - I probably waste a multiple of the price differential in wasted car miles every week, if I would only drive more carefully, let alone in thrown away food or energy (and unfortunately I don't believe I'm unique)!

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Standard User Bethany
(newbie) Sun 21-Oct-12 13:18:09
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Well it's affected this customer retention. I moved house and with a break before moving into my own place I'd had to cancel with IDNet. They were incredibly helpful and I've always liked them but the new packages have resulted in a 24.8% increase for me when I look at the phone and broadband options now. Sorry - it's going to have to be someone else now. Shame.
(and the website looks pretty but is so offputting. If that's the point, that they only want business customers, it's very effective)
Standard User Saltank
(member) Tue 04-Dec-12 14:08:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Geeezzzz!

I just went to their Home Page to have a look. See what I see.

Don't use IE, it's simple!

Just recently upgraded from 38/8 to 75/16 and everything went very well.

IDNet Business Priority Fibre 75/16
Standard User adslmax
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Dec-12 16:36:56
Print Post

[re: simon_idnet] [link to this post]

This is the worse ever on this horrible, dreadful and awful site. IDNet is rip off and too overpriced. I am glad I am happy with Plusnet lots cheaper and got 120GB. Simon from Idnet must be a fat cat greedy in their pocket.

plusnetADSL2+15.7 Meg
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 18-Dec-12 20:36:15
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
IDNet is rip off and too overpriced. I am glad I am happy with Plusnet
I'm sure I speak for many other IDNet customers (not to mention IDNet themselves) when I say that I am pleased to know you hold that opinion.

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cavillas
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Dec-12 12:10:20
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

You're not missed on Idnet, enjoy PlusNet while you can.

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Standard User smurf46
(member) Fri 21-Dec-12 13:07:08
Print Post

[re: cavillas] [link to this post]

Sorry; but from the impressions on here IDNet must be a funny ol' business if it doesn't want customers?

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Dec-12 13:10:27
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Meanie... everyone loves a challenge wink

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Dec-12 13:19:57
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smurf46:
Sorry; but from the impressions on here IDNet must be a funny ol' business if it doesn't want customers?
You clearly have no knowledge of adslmax and his history tongue.

Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

Standard User flippery
(member) Fri 21-Dec-12 13:49:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by smurf46:
You clearly have no knowledge of adslmax and his history tongue.

never heard of adslmax when was he born
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Dec-12 13:52:18
Print Post

Long pre-WBC on Planet Entanet.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 21-Dec-12 13:53:18)

Standard User cavillas
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Dec-12 19:36:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by flippery:
never heard of adslmax when was he born

No one knows, perhaps he was created. smile

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sat 22-Dec-12 02:29:34
Print Post

[re: cavillas] [link to this post]

Well, he does seem to have appeared out of thin air. Am I mistaken or he had username Bulldog before?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Dec-12 11:06:02
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

He's been a very frequent poster on these forums since I joined in May 2006, so probably also before that. A recent lapse, that's all. Averaging about 6 posts per week nevertheless.

He registered in Feb 06 I see. Was Bulldog before that?

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sat 22-Dec-12 15:31:05
Print Post

He used both bulldog and adslmax on other forums, not sure he used it here too. I've only been around since December 05 (registered as a user in March 06)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Dec-12 17:50:20
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

He's using goldenadsl on the PN Community ones.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to