User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 09-Nov-18 17:21:52
Print Post

Re: Thinking of moving to idnet

[re: mrkevlh] [link to this post]

Interesting as my single thread speeds have been consistently in the 30-45 mbps since at least the beginning of September. It could have been earlier as I don't have any saved TBB results for July & August. No variety with time of day though.

First raised a couple of months ago with no joy, but getting some leverage now as they are looking to reroute our traffic through the backhaul.

I wonder whether I was just seen as a spurious one-off when I raised the problem initially in September.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Nov-18 19:40:04
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaydub:
Interesting as my single thread speeds have been consistently in the 30-45 mbps since at least the beginning of September. It could have been earlier as I don't have any saved TBB results for July & August. No variety with time of day though.
You haven't recently changed your hardware have you? The reason I ask is that the last two laptops I owned struggled with single threaded tests (wired and wireless). They spent most of the test ramping up. I was never able to find out why. Then I had to replace the laptop and the new one (an HP Pro Book) goes straight to full speed on both tests.

There might be some aspect of the test that causes it to give poor readings on some hardware. I vaguely recall it started after one of the Windows 10 updates for what that's worth.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Nov-18 22:51:41
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

All testing has been performed on an IMac. Router and modem hardware has changes a bit, but results with my Netgear Orbi / ZyXel VMG1312-B10A are equivalent to tests run on a ZyXel VMG8924-B10A. All cables swapped out with no obvious difference. Testing from the test socket with a dangly filter yields similar results. I've tried with KIS for Mac installed and uninstalled and no discernible difference.

My work laptop only manages a maximum of 45mbps on both the single and multithread tests.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Alucidnation
(member) Thu 14-Mar-19 11:07:40
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

Hi again guys,

Iím a bit confused.

Just been in contact with them and they said I would probably be on BTW back haul as zen isnít in my exchange and they donít use TTB as they are LLU?

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange...

Thanks
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Thu 14-Mar-19 11:48:07
Print Post

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

Does it really matter what the under the dash arrangements are provided the service works? I haven't got a clue how IDNet manage my backhaul, and I don't really care as long as it carries on working as effectively as it does now.
(member) Thu 14-Mar-19 11:58:35
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

No not really.

Just interested is all.

smile
(member) Sun 07-Apr-19 20:41:03
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

Hi again,

Going to push the button in the next week or so, but a quick question.

I see IPV6 comes as standard.

They state that the package comes with a 'block' of IPV6 addresses.

What does that mean exactly?

Thanks.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Apr-19 21:27:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Alucidnation:
Hi again,

Going to push the button in the next week or so, but a quick question.

I see IPV6 comes as standard.

They state that the package comes with a 'block' of IPV6 addresses.

What does that mean exactly?

Thanks.
IDNet issue a /48 block. You might find this thread informative. Or not. IPv6 can be confusing smile

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 07-Apr-19 21:41:31)

(member) Sun 07-Apr-19 21:40:53
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Thanks but i don't understand what 'block' actually means?

i know with IPv4, you just connected and away you go, but from what i understand, ipv6 isn't as straight forward as that, and wondered why there was a limit to how many IPv6 addresses you could have.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Apr-19 21:57:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by Alucidnation:
Thanks but i don't understand what 'block' actually means?
It means 'multiple' as in 'A block of flats'. With IPv6 you aren't assigned a single address. You are assigned a contiguous range of addresses. IDNet issues what's called a /48 (I think most ISPs do). What that means in practical terms is that we get assigned a range of addresses that all have the same values in the highest 48 bits. And yes, that does indeed mean that we get assigned a large number of address - 2^80 in fact.
i know with IPv4, you just connected and away you go, but from what i understand, ipv6 isn't as straight forward as that, and wondered why there was a limit to how many IPv6 addresses you could have.
Oh it's straightforward for most people. It's only if you need to expose servers to the outside world that things can get complicated. For the average home user it's just as 'plug in and go' as IPv4. Possibly more so thanks to stateless auto-configuration.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 07-Apr-19 22:00:29)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to