User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Alucidnation
(member) Sun 07-Apr-19 22:06:27
Print Post

Re: Thinking of moving to idnet

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by Alucidnation:
Thanks but i don't understand what 'block' actually means?
It means 'multiple' as in 'A block of flats'. With IPv6 you aren't assigned a single address. You are assigned a contiguous range of addresses. IDNet issues what's called a /48 (I think most ISPs do). What that means in practical terms is that we get assigned a range of addresses that all have the same values in the highest 48 bits. And yes, that does indeed mean that we get assigned a large number of address - 2^80 in fact.
i know with IPv4, you just connected and away you go, but from what i understand, ipv6 isn't as straight forward as that, and wondered why there was a limit to how many IPv6 addresses you could have.
Oh it's straightforward for most people. It's only if you need to expose servers to the outside world that things can get complicated. For the average home user it's just as 'plug in and go' as IPv4. Possibly more so thanks to stateless auto-configuration.

Brilliant, thanks for the detailed reply Andrue.

smile
Standard User prlzx
(experienced) Mon 08-Apr-19 21:40:20
Print Post

[re: Alucidnation] [link to this post]

Just to add, with IPv6 it no longer makes sense to think of how many IP addresses you receive, because it's more than you could use (even in a singe /64 = one network).

Rather you receive a prefix allocation (or delegation) which determines how many networks each with globally valid and unique address ranges you could run (behind your router).

A /64 is one network
A /56 is up to 256 networks
A /48 is up to 65536 networks

That's in addition to the /64 (or sometimes a /127 or /128) used on the link between your router to the next upstream gateway.

The prefixes are what matter because they define both what subnets are yours and the routing information that can be summarised (aggregated) into bigger contiguous blocks.

In a way it's like going back to a IPv4 time when all organisations were implicitly assigned in /8s (one size fits all) as I don't think they ever expected to have even 100 organisations participate in an experiment in tech research, except this time we don't run out after issuing 220 prefixes.

prlzx on iDNET: VDSL / 21CN at ~40Mbps / 10Mbps
with IP4/6 (no v6? - not true Internet)
(member) Tue 16-Apr-19 06:58:37
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

A belated thanks for this.

It appears i still have some learning to do.

laugh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Thu 25-Apr-19 08:57:17
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

Ok, all up and running with IDnet, although for some reason, when the migration was carried out, DLM has applied interleaving on my line, knocking nearly 10Mbs off my sync rate, with an attainable of over 70.

Not a good start really.

The guys did say they would request a DLM reset but said it may not improve things.

Not sure why, as i was getting around 68 with my previous provider.

frown
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 25-Apr-19 09:39:05
Print Post

It is normal these days for DLM to be reset on a migration, and interleaving is applied by default. I would expect IDNet support to have known that.

Assuming you previously had G.INP active, it should return in 3-4 days without any intervention. Donít do lots of re-syncs!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Thu 25-Apr-19 09:40:43
Print Post

I wouldn't worry too much as same happened to me when I moved across to IDNet and I was starting to wonder about the decision.

Within 48 hours G.INP kicked in on the download and I was synced at 72 rather than the 67 with my previous ISP. Since then SNR has gradually been ratcheted down and my router now reports sync at full 80 download with an SNR of 2. The BTW site reports a max download achievable of about 77 to 78 and a profile of 74. I'm actually achieving an average of 70 down and 17 up which is about 8Mbps better on the download than the previous supplier..
(member) Thu 25-Apr-19 10:53:50
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

Thanks guys.

Iím on an eci cabinet so I donít think g.inp applies to those?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 25-Apr-19 11:07:23
Print Post

Youíre probably right, but the interleaving could well be removed smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up. BQM
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
(member) Thu 25-Apr-19 12:18:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok thanks.

They said it can take up to 72 hrs to be done so Iíll leave it a week and see what happens.
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Apr-19 20:14:43
Print Post

IDNet moved me to BTw backhaul in mid-December and I was interleaved on downstream for exactly 48 hours. I'm also on an ECI cabinet.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to