User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Dec-19 17:36:01
Print Post

Re: Packet Loss Still Happening With IDnet

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
In reply to a post by Andrue:
Good to see that all is still well according to the status page :-/
To be fair, I'm not seeing any impact on the performance of my connection (maybe I'm not trying hard enough tongue) so from that point of view the status page is accurate.

It's simply that those spikes, particularly their regularity, suggest that all is not well somewhere and needs fixing before it puts the boot in... but it's Zen's problem not IDnet's.
I've had a couple of occasions when the TBB test refused to run. Don't know if that's related or not but it's only been happening since the packet loss kicked off. But I agree that when the TBB test runs (or Speetest.net which always runs) it suggests no loss of throughput.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Dec-19 17:37:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by nettech:
How can I tell if I'm on a Zen backhaul or BTw?
As far as I know, the only guaranteed way is to call (or email) IDNet and ask them crazy

You might get a good clue if any problem you have correlates with uproar in the Zen forum (that's why I monitor it), but it doesn't always work.
I thought I was on BTw. I had problems shortly after joining IDNet and they coincided with issues on Zen's network (this would have been just over two years ago) so IDNet switched me to an alternate backhaul. I assumed I went from Zen to BTw.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 10-Dec-19 18:07:11
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I thought I was on BTw. I had problems shortly after joining IDNet and they coincided with issues on Zen's network (this would have been just over two years ago) so IDNet switched me to an alternate backhaul. I assumed I went from Zen to BTw.
I remember that- I had problems then too, but a few years earlier I'd moved from BTw to Zen (horrible evening congestion, BT eventually admitted to an overloaded SVLAN on my cabinet but "we have no timetable to correct it" crazy).

So I decided better the devil i knew... Zen sorted it and I must say the've been fine ever since.

Bill

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Dec-19 18:25:23
Print Post

I remember that- I had problems then too, but a few years earlier I'd moved from BTw to Zen (horrible evening congestion, BT eventually admitted to an overloaded SVLAN on my cabinet but "we have no timetable to correct it" crazy).

So I decided better the devil i knew... Zen sorted it and I must say the've been fine ever since.
Thinking about it, I don't think I could run the BTw speedtest until after the backhaul change.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User beefcakechipz
(learned) Tue 10-Dec-19 18:45:13
Print Post

I think it would be nice if idnet had which backhaul you are on, displayed in the connection details on your'e account.

Also why is there no info on the emergency maintenance happening tonight on idnet status page ?

https://www.idnet.net/support/networkstatus.php

Edited by beefcakechipz (Tue 10-Dec-19 19:03:55)

Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 10-Dec-19 19:47:04
Print Post

Thinking about it, I don't think I could run the BTw speedtest until after the backhaul change.
Hmm... I can run this one, which would suggest that either it doesn't mind if you use Zen's backhaul or IDNet have put me back on BTw for some reason... which they have every right to do, of course.

But I'd see it as out of character to do so without saying anything.

Bill

Edited by billford (Tue 10-Dec-19 20:19:46)

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 10-Dec-19 21:17:17
Print Post

Hmm... I can run this one, which would suggest that either it doesn't mind if you use Zen's backhaul or IDNet have put me back on BTw for some reason... which they have every right to do, of course.

But I'd see it as out of character to do so without saying anything.

My reacollection is that you can run the speedtest whicjever backhaul you are on, but the advanced diagnostics are only available if you are on BTw backhaul.

I know I am on BTw having asked IDNet the question and can also run the diagnostics page which fits.
Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 10-Dec-19 21:22:40
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaydub:
My reacollection is that you can run the speedtest whicjever backhaul you are on, but the advanced diagnostics are only available if you are on BTw backhaul.
That fits- no mention of diagnostics when I ran it. Thanks smile

Bill
Standard User beefcakechipz
(learned) Tue 10-Dec-19 21:25:53
Print Post

The diagnostics used to be there for me but now there gone.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Dec-19 21:29:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:
That fits- no mention of diagnostics when I ran it. Thanks smile
Nor for me. So it looks like I was moved from BTw onto Zen.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to