User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Dec-19 18:01:22
Print Post

Latest oddity.

[link to this post]

So I lost IPv6 functionality Thursday night just before midnight. I rebooted the router when I got home from work. Turns out I lost IPv6 again Friday night around 9pm. I've mailed support but am just wondering if anyone else has seen this?

Nothing has changed at my end and the router is reporting a connection uptime going back to the first router reboot so it appears to be specific to IPv6.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 28-Dec-19 18:35:38
Print Post

Re: Latest oddity.

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

No problems on either protocol here.

My Broadband Ping

The red and yellow is me streaming 4K.

Bill

Edited by billford (Sat 28-Dec-19 18:41:11)

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Dec-19 19:13:04
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:

My Broadband Ping

It'll be interesting to see what they say. There's nothing in my router logs either. I'm leaving the router in its current state in case it's useful for the diagnostics. Odd that it should happen twice in such a short space of time. Until now IPv6 has been very stable - it's actually my IPv6 TBBQM that I check because it's actually pinging my mail server so gives me a bit more information than just connection status.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 28-Dec-19 19:16:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Dec-19 08:15:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrue:

My Broadband Ping

It'll be interesting to see what they say. There's nothing in my router logs either. I'm leaving the router in its current state in case it's useful for the diagnostics. Odd that it should happen twice in such a short space of time. Until now IPv6 has been very stable - it's actually my IPv6 TBBQM that I check because it's actually pinging my mail server so gives me a bit more information than just connection status.
IPv6 went again last night around 11pm. Interestingly I'd had a DNS issue (something I get very occasionally) so had had to reboot the router previously anyway. What's intriguing is that apart from Sunday when it stayed up for 14 hours I seem to lose IPv6 connectivity 4 hours after a router reboot.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 30-Dec-19 09:47:03
Print Post

I hate intermittent problems... but tbh if I were seeing the same as you, with apparently nobody else affected, I'd be having uncharitable thoughts about my router crazy

Can you swap it out?

Bill
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Dec-19 10:57:18
Print Post

I hate intermittent problems... but tbh if I were seeing the same as you, with apparently nobody else affected, I'd be having uncharitable thoughts about my router crazy

Can you swap it out?
I've ordered a DrayTek as a replacement. It's weird that it's suddenly started doing this but the 8800 has always had a couple of issues:

* On reboot it occasionally fails to obtain an IPv6 connection. Mostly it gets one just fine albeit after a lengthy delay (half a minute or more).
* Every now and again (usually no more than two or three times a year) it stops relaying/passing DNS requests - this is why I had to reboot it on Sunday although this time it'd only run for a week or so since the last reboot. I don't usually notice this until my Sky box complains or my mobile phone stops working. I had reconfigured the router to use Google in the hopes that this would stop it happening but apparently not.

Other than that it's been fine for nearly two years. And as I mentioned in the other thread about latency it's the IPv6 TBBQM that I usually keep an eye on so I know that this weekend's silliness is an anomaly.

So some time in the next week I'll have the fun of configuring a new router to support SMTP and HTTP on both IPv4 and IPv6. Not my favourite pastime and usually involves foul language - especially IPv6.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 30-Dec-19 11:30:06
Print Post

... but the 8800 has always had a couple of issues:
Other than that it's been fine for nearly two years.
That's the Billion I assume? I used to have a 7800N, nice router, even if it was the ugliest one I've ever owned! Came with a two-year warranty... and a couple of weeks after the warranty expired, so did the wifi frown

I know one user problem doesn't make a trend (although other reports suggested I wasn't alone), but it's somewhat put me off Billions ever since crazy
So some time in the next week I'll have the fun of configuring a new router to support SMTP and HTTP on both IPv4 and IPv6. Not my favourite pastime and usually involves foul language - especially IPv6.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you smile

Bill
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Dec-19 11:50:14
Print Post

... but the 8800 has always had a couple of issues:
Other than that it's been fine for nearly two years.
That's the Billion I assume? I used to have a 7800N, nice router, even if it was the ugliest one I've ever owned! Came with a two-year warranty... and a couple of weeks after the warranty expired, so did the wifi frown

I know one user problem doesn't make a trend (although other reports suggested I wasn't alone), but it's somewhat put me off Billions ever since crazy
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you smile
Funnily enough I was just doing a search and found an earlier thread created by me on their forum:

https://forum.billion.uk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13...

I do remember that now and I think the reason I never followed up was that it never did it again..until now.

There's an interesting comment from IDNet mentioned in that thread:

"'Does the router have a DHCPv6 lease time you can set? Most routers we see, the routers send renew requests each hour but for your connection we only see 3 or 4 requests a day'. Also when the connection dropped at 0257 yesterday they say that a request for an IPv6 address was seen and a response sent."

And '..3 or 4 requests a day.' isn't a mile away from the connection failing four hours after a reboot. It's beginning to look like the router has always hung onto IPv6 by the skin of its teeth and something has pushed it over the edge this weekend. Though what that might be is anyone's guess :-/

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 30-Dec-19 11:51:44)

Print Thread

Jump to