User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jabes
(member) Sat 23-Jan-21 23:57:21
Print Post

Transition to IDnet / FTTP

[link to this post]

I installed FTTP on Demand (330/30) three years ago from Fluidone. It was on the old contract type (distance based, minimum three years) and had a pretty high monthly fee. So I was keen to move to a new supplier as soon as my contract was over.

My contract end date was 24th Jan. There were a few problems with my openreach database entry, and I had sent emails to a few potential providers -- including IDnet. IDnet support were superb explaining how to resolve the issues and I eventually placed the order for a 1000/115 FTTP on 31st Dec as a succession provide (migration).

I was given a date of 18th January. Given home schooling and video calls I was worried about an extended outage -- but need not have been.
My router logged a disconnection in the early hours of the morning but my fluidone connection was up still.

By early afternoon I was getting concerned about whether the transfer would take place (I was expecting my old connection to drop). IDnet told me that their records showed that the service was active, and so I reconfigured my router for my new IDnet password and instantly reconnected. Total downtime < 15 minutes.

Fantastic support and seamless migration!

https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/64c4c7e3-b2ac-49f...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 24-Jan-21 13:11:15
Print Post

Re: Transition to IDnet / FTTP

[re: Jabes] [link to this post]

It used to be quite common on ADSL for both old and new providers to be available for a couple of days.

Possibly not seen as often in the last few years due to the increasing use of TR-069, but that's just a guess. If IDNet aren't using it on FTTP (maybe because you didn't buy their router?), and Fluidone don't turn off your login until they get formal notification from their suppliers of the successful transfer, that could explain it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
Experience shows us that love does not consist in gazing at each other but in looking together in the same direction. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Standard User Jabes
(member) Wed 27-Jan-21 09:02:51
Print Post

Re: Transition to IDnet / FTTP

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No, I didn't buy their router. I have to say if I had known in advance that it would work this way I would have been less stressed about the whole switch-over.

Home working and remote schooling means internet is an essential service right now!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to