User comments on ISPs
  >> IDNet

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Apr-21 22:43:01
Print Post

PPP session failures?

[link to this post]

Anyone else just had a connection failure? It's the second one I've had this week - the other was Monday. Both lasted for a couple of minutes.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...

From my router's logs:

2021-04-23 22:36:36 WAN2 PPPoE ==> Protocol:LCP(c021) ConfAck Identifier:0x02 Authentication Type: CHAP 05 Magic Number: 0xfc5afcd9 Endpoint Discriminator Locally Assigned Address: 49 44 4e 65 74 4c 4e 53 ##

I don't know whether my connection dropped or stayed up as that's handled by a separate HG612 but on Monday I was sat next to the modem during the outage and it appeared to still be connected.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Fri 23-Apr-21 22:46:43)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 24-Apr-21 02:06:52
Print Post

Re: PPP session failures?

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

See several recent similar reports in the Zen forum here. Perhaps you are on their backhaul.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, sites and mail hosting - Tsohost & Ionos.
Connections: OnePlus 8 Pro max 165Mbps down, 24Mbps up on Three, and B311 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
========================
The EU’s multiple failures are due to a deeper malaise .... What malaise? The EU’s formidable immunity to the smallest amount of democracy. New Statesman Feb 2021.
Standard User E300
(member) Sat 24-Apr-21 07:56:29
Print Post

Yes with IDNet and my Internet went down at the same time. I'm FTTP and that remained connected. After about 10 minutes or so it came back up but latency was around 40ms compared to normally being around 6ms. I suspect something was rerouted due to a problem, and this morning dropping PPP and bringing it back up again got me a more normal routing and latency.

I did ask not to be on Zen backhaul with IDNet (which this seems to be) as I've never found them as reliable as others, but wasn't given an alternative option and thought I would give them another chance as it was only backhaul, not the whole service, and 4 months in, first issue, although resolved fairly quickly.

If you are finding latency still high, have a go dropping PPP and reconnecting.

Edited by E300 (Sat 24-Apr-21 08:01:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 24-Apr-21 08:47:37
Print Post

Similar BQM here, but router log shows no connection drop and I didn't need to intervene- screen shot ('cos it straddled midnight).

(eta- FTTC, Zen backhaul.)

Had a brief outage (~3 mins) on Monday at about 3:30am, but that was a local power cut, so unlikely to be related to yours.

Bill

Edited by billford (Sat 24-Apr-21 09:13:31)

Standard User E300
(member) Sat 24-Apr-21 09:32:15
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thanks for the confirmation. I see from your 3am drop, from then onwards you seem to have a lot of jitter and continuous yellow and blue, maybe a drop and reconnect would get rid of that, as it's not the same performance after that 3am as it was before.
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Apr-21 09:53:27
Print Post

Same here mate

3330/50 IDnet FTTP

KRO BCFC smile

Edited by Stanman_24 (Sat 24-Apr-21 09:58:11)

Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 24-Apr-21 10:13:56
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

Nothing here on IDNet FTTC BTw Backhaul
Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 24-Apr-21 10:19:21
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E300:
I see from your 3am drop, from then onwards you seem to have a lot of jitter and continuous yellow and blue, maybe a drop and reconnect would get rid of that
It would, but at the cost of around 5Mbps sync speed frown

It's normal behaviour here after a power cut- I use an HG612 and apparently they're quicker than most modems to acquire sync. So when the power comes back up after a power cut the line is fairly quiet for a while and the DLM gives me about 70Mbps. When everyone else's modems get themselves organised there's more crosstalk and the jitter increases, but not by enough to upset the DLM.

It can stay that way for anything from days to weeks (until something happens to cause a normal re-sync for any reason), then it's back to the usual mid-60s sync with virtually zero jitter. The jitter doesn't bother me (I don't do gaming) and the extra speed is nice while it lasts, so I leave it to its own devices smile

(For quite a few years the local leccy board has had a lot of problems with an intermittent fault on the supply from the local substation, so I've had a fair bit of experience with how everything behaves when power is restored!)

Bill
Standard User E300
(member) Sat 24-Apr-21 11:59:51
Print Post

[re: jaydub] [link to this post]

How did you get on BT backhaul?

Interestingly your connection still had a wobble around the same time as our connection issues (increased ping times) but you seemed to ride it without losing your connection or the increase latency afterwards.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Apr-21 15:29:32
Print Post

Thanks, folks. The higher latency remained even after my router's normal Friday reboot at midnight but corrected itself around 7am.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User jaydub
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 25-Apr-21 11:17:59
Print Post

[re: E300] [link to this post]

Interestingly your connection still had a wobble around the same time as our connection issues (increased ping times) but you seemed to ride it without losing your connection or the increase latency afterwards.

They offered to shift me because of ongoing single thread speed issues. I elected to go on TTw when I joined and they were supposed to have then moved me onto BTw, but their provisioning department had moved me onto Zen. I only found this out when I had further single thread speed issues and they offered to move me to BTw.

I have found that they will talk about taking things up with their suppliers, but if you push them about which supplier they are using for your connection they will tell you.
Standard User E300
(member) Sun 25-Apr-21 14:48:45
Print Post

Thanks for the info. I sort of have speed issues, testing against Thinkbroadband I'm lucky to get a single thread test greater than 300Meg, sometimes as low as 150Meg, with multi-threaded being 700 to 800Meg (on the 1000/120 package). Using other testers, like Speedtest.net I can do a single threaded test against some servers and get > 700, with multi-thread > 900, so I think with some routing there is quite a bit of congestion and that includes to Thinkbroads speed testers..

So performance is lack lustre with nothing to shout about, it's fast enough for anything I need it to do and I wanted the faster package to get the faster uploads speed. It is kind of annoying if other people are getting better performance on different backhaul whilst still paying the same price! I guess I would sum up the performance as typically Zen, network pushed to the limit and why I didn't want to go with them even if cheaper. I kind of assumed and was assured it was just their backhaul and I wouldn't be lumped up with all the regular Zen customers, but I think basically they are just reselling Zen's products, at least that is what it seems like.

Edited by E300 (Sun 25-Apr-21 14:50:18)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Apr-21 03:35:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by jaydub:

They offered to shift me because of ongoing single thread speed issues. I elected to go on TTw when I joined and they were supposed to have then moved me onto BTw, but their provisioning department had moved me onto Zen. I only found this out when I had further single thread speed issues and they offered to move me to BTw.

I have found that they will talk about taking things up with their suppliers, but if you push them about which supplier they are using for your connection they will tell you.
explains why Zen are migrating people onto tt wholesale and not their own from btw
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to