Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jdowning640
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-12 14:11:05
Print Post

Re: So is it the future?

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Is it me that I can't understand a sentence Daniel_g says? tongue

I think IPTV is the way forward as long as the sufficient bandwidth is available in all homes across the UK. If we don't have the sufficient bandwidth, there's no point in even trying to get rid of analogue TV as some people will very much rely on it.
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-12 14:59:50
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I class it as a tax, not a licence, and yes you are right the BBC is keeping it at the same price for 5 years, so I think it have another 3 years before they put it up and they will put it up no doubt add another £20 on it or something like that.

What annoyed me with the BBc is that they sold out F1 to Sky and also they are spending millions on the Olympics, something I have no interest in and fail to see what I have to pay for them. Ok so people will say they had no interest in F1 and the same goes for them.

The other thing the BEEB will spend millions on this year is some queen person, no doubt there will be a day of rubbish to celebrate her doing what ever she does.

I find the £125 a year for the licence fee expensive for what I get out of it. now i can find better ways to spend that money and get better choice.

I agree with you completely there (exept about the F1 bit that dont interest me lol) the BBC TV licence is a joke i haven't watched a BBC Channel at home in about 8 years there is nothing on them that interests me except family guy and that's on FX anyway.

The Reason i hate having to pay the TV licence is the fact that you are forced to pay for it to legally be aloud to watch any other TV channel in the UK what don't see a penny of that licence money.

I subscribed to sky which some might argue you've got to pay XX amount of money to get but that's optional i can cancel it not pay for it and dont have it simple but my personal feeling is the TV licence should be optional just like sky if you dont want to pay then the BBC channels get encrypted off you TV set i mean Sky, Virgin media & even freeview all have this capability to do it.

Maybe its just me that feels that way i dont know but i sure wish they would do it like that id be much happier saving £145 a year on something i don't watch.

oh and @jdowning640 Is it me that I can't understand a sentence Daniel_g says?

No i cant either lol

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-12 15:54:08
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Just started watching the Rugby on iPlayer and got a warning message advising that you must have a valid TV license to use the service!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-12 15:56:00
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nelix01:
Just started watching the Rugby on iPlayer and got a warning message advising that you must have a valid TV license to use the service!

Is it a live stream or been broadcast in the last hour or is it on demand ?

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 12-Feb-12 15:57:04
Print Post

Correct, as you are watching it at the same time as the broadcast. If you check the TV Licensing site it says:
Watching TV on the internet
You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Sun 12-Feb-12 17:00:25
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

yes, I was watching it live. You would wonder that sometime soon this will be expanded to cover all iPlayer content.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Feb-12 09:58:03
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daniel_g:
3d on telly, just the tennis final and final of strickly come dancing, nothing much yet. Got it for the 3d disks that love film for my £5 have some and ordered a few, get through the door when out I guess.

As long as you have to wear glasses 3D will be a gimmick, i can't see any difference to be honest.

Good points, other ways of doing the telly thing but what if you like other channels, then the tely with a tuner needs one even if not on bbc channels. lots of stuff out there, maybe suzy had a bad day. Does work then.

You can still watch ITV, ch4 and ch5 stuff online,
Maybe suzy internet connection was not as good as it could be.

Guessing internet will have better equipmet to do this, like we all thought, telly programs again, and they all do. I can do iplayer on the telly as it is plugged into the router.
shame the others are not there like itv, 4 and 5, one day maybe or a telly change in years to come and will have.

But they are there, you can watch them online.

looks like you have thought it out and what is good for you, not bad.

i done it before a couple of years back, i went for nearly two years without T.V, just relied on DVDs and Iplayer, now with with streaming it is even better.

shame there is not a box you can plug into a computer monitor that gives you the channels agread like 4 and 5 and the ones that go with that like fiver, more 4 and then no BBc, no telly tuner in the house and job done. no licence needed.

telly, bbc watched or not needs one surley.

have a nice day.

er?

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Feb-12 10:03:53
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
I agree with you completely there (exept about the F1 bit that dont interest me lol) the BBC TV licence is a joke i haven't watched a BBC Channel at home in about 8 years there is nothing on them that interests me except family guy and that's on FX anyway.

there are a few things that I watch, but they are few and far between.
The Reason i hate having to pay the TV licence is the fact that you are forced to pay for it to legally be aloud to watch any other TV channel in the UK what don't see a penny of that licence money.

I subscribed to sky which some might argue you've got to pay XX amount of money to get but that's optional i can cancel it not pay for it and dont have it simple but my personal feeling is the TV licence should be optional just like sky if you dont want to pay then the BBC channels get encrypted off you TV set i mean Sky, Virgin media & even freeview all have this capability to do it.

Maybe its just me that feels that way i dont know but i sure wish they would do it like that id be much happier saving £145 a year on something i don't watch.

i agree with you, but as i said BBc knocking out the F1 or selling out to sky really fired me up, so they lost my money, it is a shame more people have not got the guts to do it.

i had Sky a few years back, but did not find that was worth the money either. Lets see what their new online service will be like, but i can't see them putting everything online and even if they wanted to, could they? they got rights to show the content via Dsat, but would they be able to show then via streaming online?

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Feb-12 10:04:54
Print Post

yes, I was watching it live. You would wonder that sometime soon this will be expanded to cover all iPlayer content.

There was talk about it, but at the moment they don't think enough people are dumping their T.V licence to make it worth while, but give it time and they will have a internet tax.

Adrian

Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Mon 13-Feb-12 10:10:11
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Saying 3d was good. With a monitor. No tuner. Could have a box that does not bbc, then no licence. Still plugs into the arial or dish if that way. Can have telly and no bbc. Made sence to me. I do write a bit quick and not very well thought out. Wish i never bothered now. From daniel. At work. Not logged in
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to