Technical Discussion
  >> Television over Broadband (IPTV)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jan-20 16:29:45
Print Post

Prime 4K UHD

[link to this post]

Currently I'm watching a Texas concert on Amazon Prime in 4K UHD on a Panasonic TX750B tv.

We have ADSL2+ 16 mbps (max) and I thought that a minimum of 24 mbps was required to watch 4K.

There is no picture break up and it looks great so how is this happening?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User gary333
(member) Wed 15-Jan-20 18:07:52
Print Post

Re: Prime 4K UHD

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Amazon say minimum is 15mb for UHD, this probably still has a little bit of fat in so actual speed is probably slightly lower. On Netflix seen UHD range from 11-13mb
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Jan-20 10:32:06
Print Post

Amazon says 15mbps while Netflix advises 25 Mbps

i guess its to do with how they encode stuff.

Vodafone FTTP - 500/500

ST - https://www.speedtest.net/result/8762732964
MT - https://www.speedtest.net/result/8762738246

VOXI - 4G

BSc (Hons) Cyber Security

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 03-Apr-20 20:50:00
Print Post

I may be wrong, but both Netflix and Amazon Prime seem to use adaptive streaming so that you get the best resolution your broadband is capable of.

What you think is 4K UHD may not be getting all the information it would on a faster connection.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User gmangt4
(member) Sat 04-Apr-20 08:56:18
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
I may be wrong, but both Netflix and Amazon Prime seem to use adaptive streaming so that you get the best resolution your broadband is capable of.

What you think is 4K UHD may not be getting all the information it would on a faster connection.

Yes as you can select 4k UHD stuff on Prime but it will play in HD until its buffered up enough to switch to UHD, it will also drop back down to 1080P if connection is not up to it, I see it with The Grand Tour for example....starts off in 1080P HDR and then after a few seconds it changes to UHD, can see what resolution is being played by pressing ok button on 4k Stick remote.
Prime will quite happily playback UHD stuff in 1080P if thats all the connection will handle......tbh with my old eyes, I can't tell the difference between 1080P HDR and UHD HDR on a 55" TV sitting appx 2m away lol
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Apr-20 12:50:00
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmangt4:
Yes as you can select 4k UHD stuff on Prime but it will play in HD until its buffered up enough to switch to UHD, it will also drop back down to 1080P if connection is not up to it, I see it with The Grand Tour for example....starts off in 1080P HDR and then after a few seconds it changes to UHD, can see what resolution is being played by pressing ok button on 4k Stick remote.

I used to get that on my 40 Mbps FTTC connection, but when I moved to faster cable it stopped. I assume this is down to the buffer filling faster.

My router shows throughput, and it often ranges from 18 to 25 Mbps when watching Grand Tour episodes.

Prime will quite happily playback UHD stuff in 1080P if thats all the connection will handle......tbh with my old eyes, I can't tell the difference between 1080P HDR and UHD HDR on a 55" TV sitting appx 2m away lol

Many people say 1080p in HDR is actually what we notice, the extra sharpness of 4K is less obvious as our eyes are tuned to colour.

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User Chipmunk77
(learned) Sat 04-Apr-20 12:59:51
Print Post

Might it be downscaling to 1080p? Amazon are kinda paranoid about copyright, and a lot of devices don't work properly.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Apr-20 13:52:03
Print Post

[re: Chipmunk77] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chipmunk77:
Might it be downscaling to 1080p? Amazon are kinda paranoid about copyright, and a lot of devices don't work properly.
Their own Fire TV Stick 4K should be ok you would have thought, they control the software!

20 years of broadband connectivity since 1999 trial - Live BQM
Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Apr-20 20:20:37
Print Post

[re: Chipmunk77] [link to this post]

Maybe this?

wink Comms is hard wink

Edited by JonRennie (Mon 06-Apr-20 20:21:09)

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Apr-20 14:46:50
Print Post

[re: JonRennie] [link to this post]

Date of OP was in January.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
  Print Thread

Jump to