General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rogersc1
(newbie) Tue 08-Oct-19 08:15:28
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 9

[link to this post]

Just wanted to do a little post on my experience with the application process. I know alot of people have been worried about how long they have been waiting to hear back after their video interview. I applied for the trainee engineer role back in late 2017. I was sent the usual generic email for months and I didn’t want to keep harassing them with emails so I just waited sand waited. After about 12 months I stopped getting the email so I thought it was time to email them and got a reply saying I am still on the waiting list. Anyway, started getting the generic email again so I was happy!

Skipping to June 2019 and I got an email inviting me to an assessment centre. I was made up as I’d started to think they had forgotten all about me! I was made up to finally get the chance to go.

The assessment centre was sort of an induction meeting where we were given a talk about Openreach and the benefits of working for them. Then a maths and English test, 2 interviews and a practical test. Overall I was there for about 4 hours. About a week later I got an email telling me well done for passing the AC. 10 days after that I got a phone call to tell me about the job role and about the next steps. Turns out I’m going to be a fibre technician but I’ve heard from here that this can change. They have given me a start date of 4th November. Has anybody else got this start date. I’m assuming it’s going to be at Yarnfield for my 13 week training. I’m made up, I have friends who work for the BT side of things and cant wait to get stuck in!

Does anyone know how many people there are on each training course? Anybody on here from Liverpool with the same start date? Is it true that the open reach Van’s have a microwave and a kettle in them?

Sorry for the essay but I’ve been meaning to put something on here for ages as I found out loads from here so nice one. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask while it’s still fresh ha ha! Is this discord worth it as I keep missing links and don’t know what its all about to be honest!

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Oct-19 13:04:58
Print Post

[re: rogersc1] [link to this post]

No microwave or kettle in ‘standard issue’ Transits and Vivaro’s.

Standard User rogersc1
(newbie) Tue 08-Oct-19 17:57:39
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Never mind ha worth a shot! Flask it is then!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Oct-19 08:04:14
Print Post

[re: rogersc1] [link to this post]

Many, many, years ago you’d be given a tiny plug into the cigarette lighter kettle ....

It took maybe half an hour to boil a cup of water, and often would drain the van battery so badly your van wouldn’t start after ....

However at these times the vans had a system that would produce hot water which you could pump into a bowl in the back door to wash your hands in. Also they had an independent diesel heater with a timer, so your van was defrosted, and toasty for when you started, also a manual option allowed you to have this going whilst parked up, brilliant for when you’d have to spend an hour remaking a joint on a freezing day.

Most exchanges have a kettle, and some a microwave, but these ‘welfare’ rooms are fairly inhospitable places ..... it wasn’t always so.

Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 09-Oct-19 09:11:55
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 10

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Most exchanges have a kettle, and some a microwave, but these ‘welfare’ rooms are fairly inhospitable places ..... it wasn’t always so.
There use to be a subsidised canteen in virtually every BT building/exchange I worked in, did they survive?

Edited by dect (Wed 09-Oct-19 11:46:08)

Standard User rogersc1
(newbie) Wed 09-Oct-19 09:42:44
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Ha ha I remember those camping kettles! The heat in winter must have been a winner! How long have you worked for BT?

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Oct-19 11:00:44
Print Post

There use to be a subsidised canteen in virtually every BT building/exchange I worked in, did they survive?

Dear Lord, no .... they went years ago. And were only ever in really big buildings.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Oct-19 11:37:46
Print Post

I suggest all who have posted here edit the “Subject” in their posts to the same as this post while there is time. Saving Andrew a messy job.

As for the even newer thread by a newbie, it might be best for the OP of this one to link back to here from there. For example, just read the question in the newer one. Stand-alone it makes no sense.

Edit: I’ve just made a similar suggestion in the latest thread.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 09-Oct-19 11:43:38)

Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 09-Oct-19 11:53:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

Dear Lord, no .... they went years ago. And were only ever in really big buildings.
Most of the districts I worked over the years had busy exchange areas so that's probably why they virtually all had canteens.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Oct-19 11:58:01
Print Post

The only building with a canteen I ever saw was in Reading Trunk, so not even an exchange, just a POP.

The huge Reading Central ATE didn't have one.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to