General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 09-Oct-19 12:32:29
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 10

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
The only building with a canteen I ever saw was in Reading Trunk, so not even an exchange, just a POP.

The huge Reading Central ATE didn't have one.
I'm talking central London exchanges with 100's (at the time) of field engineers not those small ones like Reading Central out in the sticks laugh

Edit: I can even remember having two buildings with canteens in one road. We use to go to a different canteen every day of the week.

Edited by dect (Wed 09-Oct-19 12:36:15)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Oct-19 17:18:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Also they had an independent diesel heater with a timer, so your van was defrosted, and toasty for when you started, also a manual option allowed you to have this going whilst parked up, brilliant for when you’d have to spend an hour remaking a joint on a freezing day.
Finger or toe joints?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 09-Oct-19 21:39:35)

Standard User partial
(experienced) Thu 10-Oct-19 21:32:13
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 9

[re: rogersc1] [link to this post]

The bigger 3.5 tonne Transits have boiler, microwave, 240v inverter and heating in the back. Fibre jointers will prolly get one.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User partial
(experienced) Thu 10-Oct-19 21:38:14
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Exchange welfare has been upgraded to woefare. Heating removed, cleaning abandoned, no loo roll. Bins overflowing. You don't want to spend any time in an exchange .

Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 10-Oct-19 22:38:29
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
Exchange welfare has been upgraded to woefare. Heating removed, cleaning abandoned, no loo roll. Bins overflowing. You don't want to spend any time in an exchange .
(In my day) the BT employed cleaners were also our fire marshals, I can remember on one occasion the fire alarm going off and everyone evacuating the building when we got outside everyone was looking around for the fire marshals, the penny finally dropped when senior management realised that the cleaners had been outsourced so the fire marshalls bibs were still hanging on their pegs laugh
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Oct-19 06:54:00
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:

Completely agree.

They’ve rolled out some dumb ass, work related, Social media thing ... because no one actually talks to anyone else now. Breaks are spent sat in your van, ‘cos at a most basic level your work phone will need charging up .... and who can be arsed to drag everything into an inhospitable welfare room ....

... and then there’s complaints from Joe Public as to why people are parked up with their engines running .... ‘cos the USB point doesn’t work unless the ignition is on ...

Catch 22

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Oct-19 10:11:20
Print Post

Fair enough when it’s cold, but doesn’t the USB work with just the ignition on its first click? Mine do. That’s the point of the “engine running” position being second click that it returns to after starting the engine.

It probably turns off automatically after 30 minutes so you have to reset it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Oct-19 10:49:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, it does Bob, but you kinda need the engine running if you want any heat from your van ......

Heating, if working, in exchanges is a rare commodity these days.

This might all sound very whiny, but it's not a job that keeps you warm, and a break in relative comfort, 40 mins, once a shift isn't too much to ask is it ?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Oct-19 11:06:26
Print Post

smile
I did say “Fair enough when it’s cold” smile.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Oct-19 11:35:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's the time of year Bob, us oldies, especially those with bum circulation, feel emotional at the loss of warmer days. [sniff]

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to