General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rogersc1
(newbie) Tue 08-Oct-19 08:15:28
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 9

[link to this post]

Just wanted to do a little post on my experience with the application process. I know alot of people have been worried about how long they have been waiting to hear back after their video interview. I applied for the trainee engineer role back in late 2017. I was sent the usual generic email for months and I didnít want to keep harassing them with emails so I just waited sand waited. After about 12 months I stopped getting the email so I thought it was time to email them and got a reply saying I am still on the waiting list. Anyway, started getting the generic email again so I was happy!

Skipping to June 2019 and I got an email inviting me to an assessment centre. I was made up as Iíd started to think they had forgotten all about me! I was made up to finally get the chance to go.

The assessment centre was sort of an induction meeting where we were given a talk about Openreach and the benefits of working for them. Then a maths and English test, 2 interviews and a practical test. Overall I was there for about 4 hours. About a week later I got an email telling me well done for passing the AC. 10 days after that I got a phone call to tell me about the job role and about the next steps. Turns out Iím going to be a fibre technician but Iíve heard from here that this can change. They have given me a start date of 4th November. Has anybody else got this start date. Iím assuming itís going to be at Yarnfield for my 13 week training. Iím made up, I have friends who work for the BT side of things and cant wait to get stuck in!

Does anyone know how many people there are on each training course? Anybody on here from Liverpool with the same start date? Is it true that the open reach Vanís have a microwave and a kettle in them?

Sorry for the essay but Iíve been meaning to put something on here for ages as I found out loads from here so nice one. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask while itís still fresh ha ha! Is this discord worth it as I keep missing links and donít know what its all about to be honest!

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Oct-19 13:04:58
Print Post

[re: rogersc1] [link to this post]

No microwave or kettle in Ďstandard issueí Transits and Vivaroís.

Standard User rogersc1
(newbie) Tue 08-Oct-19 17:57:39
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Never mind ha worth a shot! Flask it is then!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Oct-19 08:04:14
Print Post

Many, many, years ago youíd be given a tiny plug into the cigarette lighter kettle ....

It took maybe half an hour to boil a cup of water, and often would drain the van battery so badly your van wouldnít start after ....

However at these times the vans had a system that would produce hot water which you could pump into a bowl in the back door to wash your hands in. Also they had an independent diesel heater with a timer, so your van was defrosted, and toasty for when you started, also a manual option allowed you to have this going whilst parked up, brilliant for when youíd have to spend an hour remaking a joint on a freezing day.

Most exchanges have a kettle, and some a microwave, but these Ďwelfareí rooms are fairly inhospitable places ..... it wasnít always so.

Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 09-Oct-19 09:11:55
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 10

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Most exchanges have a kettle, and some a microwave, but these Ďwelfareí rooms are fairly inhospitable places ..... it wasnít always so.
There use to be a subsidised canteen in virtually every BT building/exchange I worked in, did they survive?

Edited by dect (Wed 09-Oct-19 11:46:08)

Standard User rogersc1
(newbie) Wed 09-Oct-19 09:42:44
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Ha ha I remember those camping kettles! The heat in winter must have been a winner! How long have you worked for BT?

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Oct-19 11:00:44
Print Post

There use to be a subsidised canteen in virtually every BT building/exchange I worked in, did they survive?

Dear Lord, no .... they went years ago. And were only ever in really big buildings.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Oct-19 11:37:46
Print Post

I suggest all who have posted here edit the ďSubjectĒ in their posts to the same as this post while there is time. Saving Andrew a messy job.

As for the even newer thread by a newbie, it might be best for the OP of this one to link back to here from there. For example, just read the question in the newer one. Stand-alone it makes no sense.

Edit: Iíve just made a similar suggestion in the latest thread.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 09-Oct-19 11:43:38)

Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 09-Oct-19 11:53:31
Print Post

Dear Lord, no .... they went years ago. And were only ever in really big buildings.
Most of the districts I worked over the years had busy exchange areas so that's probably why they virtually all had canteens.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Oct-19 11:58:01
Print Post

The only building with a canteen I ever saw was in Reading Trunk, so not even an exchange, just a POP.

The huge Reading Central ATE didn't have one.

Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 09-Oct-19 12:32:29
Print Post

The only building with a canteen I ever saw was in Reading Trunk, so not even an exchange, just a POP.

The huge Reading Central ATE didn't have one.
I'm talking central London exchanges with 100's (at the time) of field engineers not those small ones like Reading Central out in the sticks laugh

Edit: I can even remember having two buildings with canteens in one road. We use to go to a different canteen every day of the week.

Edited by dect (Wed 09-Oct-19 12:36:15)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 09-Oct-19 17:18:49
Print Post

Also they had an independent diesel heater with a timer, so your van was defrosted, and toasty for when you started, also a manual option allowed you to have this going whilst parked up, brilliant for when youíd have to spend an hour remaking a joint on a freezing day.
Finger or toe joints?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 09-Oct-19 21:39:35)

Standard User partial
(experienced) Thu 10-Oct-19 21:32:13
Print Post

The bigger 3.5 tonne Transits have boiler, microwave, 240v inverter and heating in the back. Fibre jointers will prolly get one.

Standard User partial
(experienced) Thu 10-Oct-19 21:38:14
Print Post

Exchange welfare has been upgraded to woefare. Heating removed, cleaning abandoned, no loo roll. Bins overflowing. You don't want to spend any time in an exchange .

Standard User dect
(committed) Thu 10-Oct-19 22:38:29
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
Exchange welfare has been upgraded to woefare. Heating removed, cleaning abandoned, no loo roll. Bins overflowing. You don't want to spend any time in an exchange .
(In my day) the BT employed cleaners were also our fire marshals, I can remember on one occasion the fire alarm going off and everyone evacuating the building when we got outside everyone was looking around for the fire marshals, the penny finally dropped when senior management realised that the cleaners had been outsourced so the fire marshalls bibs were still hanging on their pegs laugh
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Oct-19 06:54:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by partial:

Completely agree.

Theyíve rolled out some dumb ass, work related, Social media thing ... because no one actually talks to anyone else now. Breaks are spent sat in your van, Ďcos at a most basic level your work phone will need charging up .... and who can be arsed to drag everything into an inhospitable welfare room ....

... and then thereís complaints from Joe Public as to why people are parked up with their engines running .... Ďcos the USB point doesnít work unless the ignition is on ...

Catch 22

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Oct-19 10:11:20
Print Post

Fair enough when itís cold, but doesnít the USB work with just the ignition on its first click? Mine do. Thatís the point of the ďengine runningĒ position being second click that it returns to after starting the engine.

It probably turns off automatically after 30 minutes so you have to reset it.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Oct-19 10:49:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, it does Bob, but you kinda need the engine running if you want any heat from your van ......

Heating, if working, in exchanges is a rare commodity these days.

This might all sound very whiny, but it's not a job that keeps you warm, and a break in relative comfort, 40 mins, once a shift isn't too much to ask is it ?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Oct-19 11:06:26
Print Post

smile
I did say ďFair enough when itís coldĒ smile.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Oct-19 11:35:30
Print Post

It's the time of year Bob, us oldies, especially those with bum circulation, feel emotional at the loss of warmer days. [sniff]

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Oct-19 13:38:06
Print Post

I developed a rotten cold yesterday. Not good today!

Standard User dect
(committed) Fri 11-Oct-19 14:37:06
Print Post

you kinda need the engine running if you want any heat from your van
I think a heater must have been an optional extra in one of my earlier vans as in the winter I often had to keep stopping and scrapping the ice off the windscreen with a credit card smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Oct-19 15:06:55
Print Post

Wow, you could afford a credit card ?

The wages must have been much better back in the day grin

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Oct-19 15:08:59
Print Post

Lemsip and daytime TV it is then Bob.

Standard User dect
(committed) Fri 11-Oct-19 16:06:15
Print Post

The wages must have been much better back in the day grin
In the end I had to leave and get a proper job to pay it off laugh
Standard User partial
(experienced) Fri 11-Oct-19 16:49:36
Print Post

Long nosed Bedford didn't have a heater back in the day. They were originally destined for Rhodesia so one wasn't fitted.

Standard User Bitofbanter
(learned) Sun 13-Oct-19 09:57:36
Print Post

Anybody heard anything regarding going to assessment centre? Looks like they have finished this years recruitment.
Standard User waiting4ever
(newbie) Sun 13-Oct-19 16:10:04
Print Post

[re: Bitofbanter] [link to this post]

I had an email on Wed, 2 Oct, telling me I have passed but have to wait for an invite date for the assessment center.
Standard User cymromon
(newbie) Mon 14-Oct-19 15:42:00
Print Post

Hi rogersc1 congratulations on getting the engineer post, i hope you are enjoying it? what were the maths and english tests like? were you allowed to use a calculator?

i have been invited to do the online interview, do you remember the questions, and can you give me any advice please?

thank you.
Standard User Denzel01
(newbie) Tue 15-Oct-19 16:30:19
Print Post

[re: cymromon] [link to this post]

Hi guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone is in the same situation as me. I applied for the trainee engineer roles in Feb this year and passed the video interview also in Feb. I am now in the situation where I am waiting to hopefully be invited to an assessment centre.

I received an email in June telling me that they had filled all the roles in my area but they will keep my details on file and contact me in the future to see if I am still interested when new roles appear. Recently I went on the openreach website and checked the job roles available on the map and there are two trainee roles available within a 40 minute drive from my home postcode. I emailed openreach and got the same generic reply I have always received when I have emailed them, which is extremely frustrating as they do not appear to tailor their reply to anything that you may ask them.

Also I have noticed a lot of people on here saying they receive emails from openreach saying they haven't forgotten about them, I haven't received anything like this, am I reading to much into this?

I would love to have the opportunity to work for openreach but the recruitment process and lack of any valuable information you receive for them is seriously frustrating.
Standard User rogersc1
(newbie) Thu 17-Oct-19 08:12:16
Print Post

[re: cymromon] [link to this post]

Hiya mate,

Thank you, I start in November so not too long to wait! I can't really remember the online interview questions as it was 2017 frown but when I did mine I found alot of help on here so maybe worth a search also glassdoor website helped loads. The maths and english test is more like functional skills you may have done in college. If you Google search functional maths/English test there are some practice tests. It's nothing too taxing and you get a calculator but it is an on screen one. Questions like a tin of paint costs x amount and covers y amount, how many tins of paint do you need to cover a wall that is so big. Working out areas, stuff like that. I read on here that it is just a test to see what level you are at as they put you on a course in the first year. Also the English test is basic spelling, punctuation (which am sh*t at). The test is timed and I just about finished them.

Good luck

Standard User sundancekiddd
(newbie) Thu 17-Oct-19 15:50:53
Print Post

Hey guys,

I have seen a link to a Discord couple of times here, but they all are inactive now. can anyone drop a fresh link if possible?

Thanks!
Standard User rogersc1
(newbie) Fri 18-Oct-19 09:44:53
Print Post

[re: sundancekiddd] [link to this post]

I've been after a discord link for a few weeks now mate. I would appreciate a new link if anyone can sort one out?

Standard User Redeye26
(newbie) Fri 18-Oct-19 16:41:33
Print Post

How long did you have to wait between passing the assessment center to the phone call telling you about your start date. I passed the assessment center at the start of September and the email said someone will phone asap with a start date but this was 6 weeks ago. Has anyone else had this wait
Standard User rogersc1
(newbie) Fri 18-Oct-19 19:27:52
Print Post

[re: Redeye26] [link to this post]

I waited 10 days mate but I've read on here some people wait longer than 6 weeks. I suppose the good news is you have the job. I would just email them and ask. Daft question but have you been checking your junk folder?

Standard User Redeye26
(newbie) Fri 18-Oct-19 19:49:28
Print Post

Yeah been the checking junk folder just incase. I did email them a couple of weeks after passing but the reply was just the same as the original email of we will contact you asap. Hopefully it's just a waiting game and they will be in contact soon.
Standard User DReyno1
(newbie) Fri 18-Oct-19 20:09:33
Print Post

Hi. I have just passed my video interview and I am now waiting for my assessment day (which I know I could be waiting awhile for)
I would like to ask for more details on the assessment day itself?
What are the Maths and English tests like?
I believe there there are 2 interviews and a practical test? What kind of questions are asked for these?
Sorry if this has been explained in detail previously.

Dave (located in Cheshire)
Standard User dnsllvn
(newbie) Sat 19-Oct-19 14:03:39
Print Post

[re: DReyno1] [link to this post]

Remember that page where you could see the jobs you have applied for where it says tier2 if you made it that far, can anyone see it or have they taken it down? It let's me log in, but there's no tabs to get to that part for me
Standard User Redeye26
(newbie) Sat 19-Oct-19 15:05:25
Print Post

[re: dnsllvn] [link to this post]

The page is still there for me saying tier 2. Have you clicked on the my jobs link at bottom of the page
Standard User TVvisionengineer
(learned) Sat 19-Oct-19 16:08:42
Print Post

recruitment now open for 2020

Hi,

Thanks for registering your interest for our BT Apprentice Programme. Weíre happy to let you know that our applications are now open!

You can now start your application on our website here: https://btplc.com/Careercentre/earlycareers/apprenti...

If you have any questions you can email us at [email protected] and a member of our team will be happy to help.

We're excited to see your completed application!

Best wishes,

BT Recruitment Team
Standard User dnsllvn
(newbie) Sat 19-Oct-19 17:35:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Redeye26:
The page is still there for me saying tier 2. Have you clicked on the my jobs link at bottom of the page

That's what I mean, those boxes with 'my Jobs' etc are not there for me anymore. It looks to me like a different version of the page, It's all purple and white and even the BT logo in the top left is different
Standard User Redeye26
(newbie) Sat 19-Oct-19 19:52:28
Print Post

Have you tried using a different web browser
Standard User Henderson61
(newbie) Sat 19-Oct-19 20:34:46
Print Post

Try using a laptop/desktop instead of a smartphone if thatís what your using...
To everyone thatís been waiting a while to hear anything from video interviews/assessment centres I applied August 2018 and got my assessment on January 2019, got told I had a job at the end of that month.. I never got a phone call with a job offer till June and got given a start date of January 2020, itís all down to your location and what positions need filled in each area, I will be a FND cabler but my brother is a Service delivery engineer, he has been with the company a few years now and has said FTTP is a major boost for people living in more secluded areas now and that there will be more FND placements all over the UK
Standard User dnsllvn
(newbie) Sun 20-Oct-19 11:10:16
Print Post

[re: Henderson61] [link to this post]

I've tried using Chrome and Firefox on pc and mobile, it must be the address I've been using? https://bt.taleo.net/careersection/ex_my/profile.ftl...
It's the same one I've always used, had it saved as a bookmark but now somehow it looks like a different Web page. The logo in the top left is a simple Bt in a circle in purple and white. Let's me log in but then there's no tabs for anything. Can someone provide a link please
Standard User dnsllvn
(newbie) Sun 20-Oct-19 16:52:47
Print Post

Never mind, I got it now. It seems my bookmarked address (from a long time ago) is different to what is used now.
I just like to check now and then that the tier 2 is still there, since I get no correspondence from them lol.
Standard User Essexnick
(newbie) Wed 23-Oct-19 16:48:06
Print Post

I applied and did my video interview on the first day. I got an E-mail the next day saying I had passed all screening and will invited to an assessment day. I haven't heard anything for a couple weeks now and I was worrying. How long did the process take for you after you had heard you had accepted onto assessment. Thx
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 23-Oct-19 19:33:52
Print Post

[re: Essexnick] [link to this post]

Email didn't exist when Zarjaz applied wink.

"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User sundancekiddd
(newbie) Thu 24-Oct-19 14:20:56
Print Post

Applied in January, passed my assessment last week and two days later got an email saying I will be starting in February. Looking forward to it. Is there any good sources that you guys can recommend for reading etc. to get myself more prepared for the training?

Thanks
Standard User rogersc1
(newbie) Fri 25-Oct-19 08:30:55
Print Post

[re: DReyno1] [link to this post]

Hiya Dave,

The maths and english tests are like functional skills tests. Nothing told taxing but do a search as there are some free online test to get the brain working again! There are 2 interviews and a practical test. Questions are the usual. What do you ant to work for Openreach, tell us when you've solved a customer issue. And big pan hamealthband safety.

Standard User Carl1234
(newbie) Mon 28-Oct-19 15:45:44
Print Post

Whatís the practical test? Does anyone know what it involves? Iíve got my assessment centre on the 6th of November in leeds.
The maths and English should be fine. Just curious on the practical test
Standard User Baileyboy83
(newbie) Mon 28-Oct-19 19:38:10
Print Post

[re: Carl1234] [link to this post]

From what Iíve heard/read, itís wiring a plug or telephone socket. You get shown what to do then are assessed when you do it yourself.

When did you pass your video interview? I ask as Iím waiting for an assessment centre date in Leeds too.
Standard User Carl1234
(newbie) Mon 28-Oct-19 19:57:04
Print Post

[re: Baileyboy83] [link to this post]

About 3/4 weeks ago mate, only heard end of last week that I had the assessment centre
Standard User Baileyboy83
(newbie) Mon 28-Oct-19 20:26:24
Print Post

Similar to me then- I did my video interview on the 4th of October and got an email saying Iíd passed on the 7th, but that I had to wait to get a date for the assessment centre. Doubt Iíll be on the one on the 6th given itís next week but you never know.

Cheers mate and good luck.
Standard User Phil11
(regular) Tue 29-Oct-19 22:29:20
Print Post

[re: Baileyboy83] [link to this post]

I passed my video interview on Feb 18th 2019.

Still waiting for an assessment centre !
Standard User rogersc1
(newbie) Wed 30-Oct-19 07:43:04
Print Post

Mine was wiring a phone socket from start to the customers house on a mock up board. Wires are thin but its doable. Leave yourself plenty of length on the wire and you will be fine.

Standard User Phcb92
(newbie) Wed 30-Oct-19 11:04:01
Print Post

Anybody in Scotland had an update (or is in the know) on assessment centre dates yet?

Been told by an Openreach employee that in the south, where I am, they are quiet so wonít be recruiting until next year now.

Iím at the stage where Iíve been told I will be invited to the assessment centre but no idea on a timeframe... (as per the norm)
Standard User Denzel01
(newbie) Wed 30-Oct-19 20:36:23
Print Post

[re: Phcb92] [link to this post]

Hi mate,

I have been waiting for an invite since February and I am in the central belt. I wouldnít imagine this will stop them having an assessment centre as they seem to have them and then keep people in the pipeline for when roles become available. Have you been told you will defo receive an invite? Anytime I have emailed them they have stated they cannot guarantee everyone will get one as they compare each candidate and then send invites so unfortunately some people will be left disappointed.

In reply to a post by Phcb92:
Anybody in Scotland had an update (or is in the know) on assessment centre dates yet?

Been told by an Openreach employee that in the south, where I am, they are quiet so wonít be recruiting until next year now.

Iím at the stage where Iíve been told I will be invited to the assessment centre but no idea on a timeframe... (as per the norm)
Standard User Phcb92
(newbie) Wed 30-Oct-19 20:45:32
Print Post

[re: Denzel01] [link to this post]

Feb is a fair old wait frown hopefully they donít keep you any longer! I applied in April, had my video interview in May and got an email that I shall copy onto this post in August. What position have you applied for?

ďHi,

Thanks for your email. Great news you have been successful at Video Interview, and have reached assessment centre stage. Please bear with us as we do have huge number of candidates at this stage and we cannot guarantee to invite everyone to Assessment Centre immediately. It does very much depend on what vacancies are available and whether any are in your area. One of the team will keep you posted.

Kind regards,
Openreach recruitment teamĒ
Standard User Denzel01
(newbie) Wed 30-Oct-19 20:52:10
Print Post

[re: Phcb92] [link to this post]

I applied for the trainee engineer role, I know of someone who was in this years intake and they had been waiting two years.

I also received that email but the only time I ever get any communication from them is when I have emailed them which seems to be a standard response and that even though I have reached this stage they cannot guarantee I will get an invite which would be incredibly frustrating after waiting as long as I have. Some people in previous posts have said they get the occasional update email from openreach so not sure what to make of that.

In reply to a post by Phcb92:
Feb is a fair old wait frown hopefully they donít keep you any longer! I applied in April, had my video interview in May and got an email that I shall copy onto this post in August. What position have you applied for?

ďHi,

Thanks for your email. Great news you have been successful at Video Interview, and have reached assessment centre stage. Please bear with us as we do have huge number of candidates at this stage and we cannot guarantee to invite everyone to Assessment Centre immediately. It does very much depend on what vacancies are available and whether any are in your area. One of the team will keep you posted.

Kind regards,
Openreach recruitment teamĒ
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Sat 02-Nov-19 23:07:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by Carl1234:
Whatís the practical test? Does anyone know what it involves? Iíve got my assessment centre on the 6th of November in leeds.
The maths and English should be fine. Just curious on the practical test

Hello mate, Iíve got an assessment day in Leeds on the 13th Nov, I read your post about yours on the 6th.

It would be great if you could send me a message saying how it goes, what it all involved etc.

Or if anyone on here has had one recently? Could you give us details on the whole day please.

Hope it all goes well for you mate, good luck.
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Sat 02-Nov-19 23:21:01
Print Post

[re: sundancekiddd] [link to this post]

Hello mate, well done on passing, could you reply to this telling us what your assessment day involved, give details please, Iíve got mine on the 13th and would love to know what you done?
Standard User harshilraj
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-19 12:25:55
Print Post

[re: Micky37] [link to this post]

Hi,

Im new to the forum, Just Wanted to know if anyone attended the assessment center in Sevenoaks on the 22 Oct 2019?

thanks
Standard User evolet_india
(newbie) Thu 07-Nov-19 10:35:14
Print Post

Yes totally agree.

Standard User Connoru
(newbie) Thu 07-Nov-19 10:52:47
Print Post

[re: evolet_india] [link to this post]

Hi ,

Just had an email saying I've been successful and have passed the assessment centre (30th Oct in Birmingham) so around a week has passed.

Email states they'll be in touch with a start date etc, anyone know how long this usually takes? And if you start sooner rather than later?
Standard User Redeye26
(newbie) Thu 07-Nov-19 19:10:12
Print Post

[re: Connoru] [link to this post]

I had my assessment around 5th Sept and got told a week later I passed. Just got told today about my start date in February so it was around a 8 week wait for me. I've read on other forums some people get told about their start date after a week but others wait 6 months. Well done on passing.

Edited by Redeye26 (Thu 07-Nov-19 19:12:11)

Standard User new_guy
(newbie) Sat 09-Nov-19 11:15:26
Print Post

Calling all Openreach Trainee Engineers, applicants and people thinking about applying for the role - I have started a Facebook group just for you all and myself of course!

I am currently awaiting my assessment date for a Trainee Engineer position having successfully passed the initial screening application and online interview and was looking to join a group to gain a better insight into the role and where people can share experiences on the day to day duties and application process.

I did find a couple of groups but they were solely for experienced engineers so I wasn't eligible to join.

Why not sign up and share your thoughts, offer advice or just have a general chat with like minded people?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/396262417943838/?hc_...

Edited by new_guy (Sat 09-Nov-19 11:31:15)

Standard User BP1294
(newbie) Tue 12-Nov-19 08:40:45
Print Post

Hi,

I had my assessment on the same date and Birmingham (PM Session). Got the same email saying Iíd been successful on the same date as yourself too.

Had an email yesterday advising they would be ringing today between 9AM and 2PM to discuss my application further.

Fingers crossed you either got the same email or hear back soon!

Where are you based?
Standard User Connoru
(newbie) Tue 12-Nov-19 13:14:15
Print Post

[re: BP1294] [link to this post]

Hey, thanks for the update! I'm in Kings Norton, I was on the AM session, but haven't had any email.

When you've had the call, can you let me know your start date? Want to gauge a rough waiting time etc.

Thanks!
Standard User BP1294
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-19 10:30:06
Print Post

Had the call yesterday around 12:30. Originally got offered a start date of 2nd Feb. Had holiday the week after so new start date is 24th February.

Going to be Service Delivery and based in Birmingham East. Iím based in Dudley so I should think they will be getting in touch with you shortly; high demand in the Birmingham area at the moment!

Just to note to others... no holiday can be taken in the first 9 weeks of training, after this you can. I had to ask the question as was supposed to be attending a wedding around 6 weeks in.
Standard User Carl1234
(newbie) Thu 14-Nov-19 14:55:10
Print Post

[re: BP1294] [link to this post]

Anyone from the assessment centre in Leeds from the 6th of November?
Just had my start date through as the 3rd of February
Standard User a987654
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-19 10:45:25
Print Post

Hi,

I was looking to see if anybody can help me or point me in the right direction.

I completed my video interview yesterday for the civils engineer team position but there was no indication as to when I would receive a response - does anybody know how long this normally takes?

Or on the basis that I am successful, does anybody know what the next part of the process looks like?

Any help would be appreciated.
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-19 13:21:16
Print Post

[re: a987654] [link to this post]

Hello mate,

Best advice is probably not to hold your breath, you may hear in two weeks, it may take 6 months, many have waited that long for the next stage which is an assessment centre. If youíre in need of work apply elsewhere while youíre waiting because none of the process is quick in anyway.

In civil engineering jobs it just involves a very simple colour blind test, they basically ask you the colour of two wires and thatís it.
You then have 2 interviews and a test.
The test is basically about 6 pictures where you have to write down the risks or hazards you see.
1 interview is a customer service / team work one and the other interview is about your current/previous jobs and itís health and safety focused.

They are very short interviews, they are not there to catch you out, just looking for answers that apply to the job youíre applying for.

Hope this helps as I was looking all over for information when I was invited for an assessment centre.
Standard User a987654
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-19 13:59:41
Print Post

Hi Micky,

Thanks for the reply - it's greatly appreciated.

I will keep all of the above in mind and hopefully hear from them sooner rather than later. Luckily, I am in full-time employment at the moment so don't need to worry about that aspect of things.

Out of curiosity, where are the assessment centres based? I live in Central Scotland.

Thanks again
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-19 14:09:22
Print Post

[re: a987654] [link to this post]

Iím not sure where yours will be, mine was in Leeds.
I know they have one further south, so Iím assuming theyíll have one up and Scotland too.
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-19 14:12:13
Print Post

Hello Carl,

Iíve got a start date on the 3rd February too, my assessment was the week after yours, I havenít received anything further though, apart from the call with the job offer.

Have you got anymore info on what to expect?
Standard User samc1994
(newbie) Thu 21-Nov-19 10:38:21
Print Post

Gents,

Well done on getting your start dates for 3rd Feb.

I attended the Assessment Day in Leeds on the 13th Nov also. Though I was successful and got a well done - I had an email saying unfortunately there is no vacancies in my area for the moment. I am keeping everything crossed that something comes up and hopefully I am near the top of a large waiting list of a few more of us who have been told 'well done on passing the assessment' but we don't need you yet.

Feels gutting but I suppose I've got to be patient and hope something comes along soon in my area and I will be contacted!
Standard User samc1994
(newbie) Thu 21-Nov-19 13:50:22
Print Post

[re: samc1994] [link to this post]

I have just passed the video interview for the role of Trainee Engineer also. I have had the email saying I will receive an invitation to the assessment day in due course.

I have already passed the Assessment day for a Civil Engineer - I am just on the list for when a vacancy arrives. Now, in the meantime I am going to purse the avenue of Trainee Engineer as both are taking on in my area.

Wish me luck!
Standard User Dustymi11er
(newbie) Wed 18-Dec-19 16:50:39
Print Post

Hi all. Due to start mid February I was wondering if anyone could post a link to the discord group thanks
Standard User ashfield56
(newbie) Wed 18-Dec-19 19:34:50
Print Post

Hi,
I have just completed the onboarding process for a start date of 24/02 at Northwich TE.

I got an email response a couple of days after my assessment day back in Sept which said I would be on FND/Cabler - do you know why my first day would be at the Exchange and not Yarnfield?
(I have heard that fibre splicers do not get a van - does the same apply to cablers as It would be a deal breaker for me if that were the case?)
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Wed 18-Dec-19 19:58:04
Print Post

[re: ashfield56] [link to this post]

It will be at yarnfield mate, theyíll ring you a week or two before explaining your travel arrangements etc, I got the same email stating where Iíll be working with no mention of yarnfield.

I donít think itís right about not getting a van, just doesnít make sense.
But I did read somewhere on here that splicers donít get a normal van when most engineers do on the first Friday, because they get a bigger van which is t ready in the first week of training.

Iíd advise you to email recruitment though, they are helpful in responding to any of your questions.
Standard User Murchmeister
(newbie) Wed 18-Dec-19 20:48:33
Print Post

Anyone got a discord link, applied today after not making it last year just want to find out a bit more

Thanks
Standard User ashfield56
(newbie) Thu 19-Dec-19 13:53:10
Print Post

Hi, I have an FND cabler position starting Feb2020 - I know they work in teams but will I get my own van?
Standard User Dragon83
(newbie) Sat 21-Dec-19 16:54:54
Print Post

[re: ashfield56] [link to this post]

Hi everyone, been a while since I came on here, I originally applied around 12-18 months ago for trainee engineer, did the video interview around a week later and was told I was successful in that, then nothing until mid November when I was invited to assessment in Preston on the 18/12. The day consisted of 2 x interviews, 2x tests Maths/English and a newly introduced practical assessment (wiring of a fibre phone socket) the Maths and English tests are brand new apparently (the Maths was very advanced at the last 5 questions including Pythagoras and ratios sums). They were very friendly and organised and made everyone feel very comfortable, don't bother wearing a tie as they will tell you to remove it anyway, it's as if they don't want it coming across as formal, research the openreach blueprint pdf document prior to the day and mention as much health and safety experience as you can. It will all bode well in the interviews. So now my wait is to see if I have passed, I will let you all know in due course. I am a bit concerned about the Maths test as it was quite hard. Did anyone else on here attend Preston? I am from Wrexham North Wales btw. Thanks.
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Wed 01-Jan-20 20:35:05
Print Post

[re: Dragon83] [link to this post]

Hi, Can someone reply with a discord link please?

Thank you.
Standard User Mike_5000
(newbie) Thu 02-Jan-20 18:28:01
Print Post

Iíd also be interested to get onto discord to find anything else out.

My assessment is on January 8th in Leeds, anyone else got this date?
Standard User Willirv
(newbie) Mon 06-Jan-20 22:53:30
Print Post

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone in the north west (specifically Lancashire) has had a call up to an assessment centre recently? I passed my video interview last February so its coming up to 12 months now since I last heard. Emails to recruitment draw the same generic responses back but I still send one monthly just incase!
Standard User samc1994
(newbie) Wed 08-Jan-20 09:16:06
Print Post

[re: Dragon83] [link to this post]

Gents,

I have just been invited to attend an assessment day in Leeds, Tuesday 14th Jan. Is anyone else going there?

This is for a Trainee Engineer role.

I attended one in November for a Civils Engineering role but I am just waiting for a vacancy.

Has anyone been to an assessment day for a Trainee role? What are the intervieq questions like if you can remember. Also, if you have functional skills certificates for English and Maths, does this class as a free ticket to not have to do the tests?

All types of info and help is much appreciated in advance,

Sam

Edited by samc1994 (Wed 08-Jan-20 09:16:54)

Standard User Willirv
(newbie) Wed 08-Jan-20 18:28:31
Print Post

Hi,

What area are you from?

I've just had an email stating that the new recruitment drive has opened, if I currently have an open application do I have to reapply or do they automatically keep things going through? If anyone can help it would be much appreciated

Thanks

Will
Standard User samc1994
(newbie) Thu 09-Jan-20 08:59:31
Print Post

[re: Willirv] [link to this post]

Hi mate,

Grimsby is where I am wanting to work. Leeds is the area my assessment is.

I'm really not sure, my advice is just to be patient and apply for everything you can engineer wise on the openreach website.

Regards,

Sam
Standard User new_guy
(newbie) Fri 10-Jan-20 18:58:39
Print Post

Hi all,

Feel free to join my Facebook group for Openreach Trainee Engineer's and Applicants. We have over 200 members who regularly contribute giving great advice on the whole recruitment process from the video interview to training at Yarnfield and beyond.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/396262417943838/

Edited by new_guy (Fri 10-Jan-20 19:00:06)

Standard User Shane1802
(newbie) Sat 11-Jan-20 00:36:11
Print Post

Hi all just wondering I am now in the situation where I am waiting to hopefully be invited to an assessment centre. I applied in October last year based in Worcester west Midlands just wanting to know would I receive an email for the invation or a phone call
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Sat 11-Jan-20 09:50:01
Print Post

[re: Shane1802] [link to this post]

An email, this Facebook group has good advice on mate, https://www.facebook.com/groups/396262417943838/
Standard User Shane1802
(newbie) Sat 11-Jan-20 14:29:15
Print Post

Brill thank you will check that Facebook group out too
Standard User Mikelinho3
(newbie) Wed 15-Jan-20 14:16:04
Print Post

[re: Shane1802] [link to this post]

You could send them an request just to be sure
Standard User Bridbay777
(newbie) Wed 15-Jan-20 15:32:40
Print Post

[re: Willirv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Willirv:
Hi,

What area are you from?

I've just had an email stating that the new recruitment drive has opened, if I currently have an open application do I have to reapply or do they automatically keep things going through? If anyone can help it would be much appreciated

Thanks

Will

Hi all newbie on here some great advice for fellow candidates
I have just completed video interview and been successful and hopefully wonít have to wait too long for a assement date looks like Iíve just missed the one in Leeds if the guy went to his on the 14th January
Good luck to all of you in your applications
Iím East Yorkshire up in Bridlington
Standard User Bridbay777
(newbie) Wed 15-Jan-20 15:54:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by samc1994:
Gents,

I have just been invited to attend an assessment day in Leeds, Tuesday 14th Jan. Is anyone else going there?

This is for a Trainee Engineer role.

I attended one in November for a Civils Engineering role but I am just waiting for a vacancy.

Has anyone been to an assessment day for a Trainee role? What are the intervieq questions like if you can remember. Also, if you have functional skills certificates for English and Maths, does this class as a free ticket to not have to do the tests?

All types of info and help is much appreciated in advance,

Sam

Hi Sam

How did the assessment go yesterday?
Standard User CMorty123
(newbie) Wed 22-Jan-20 20:22:47
Print Post

[re: Bridbay777] [link to this post]

I'm in the exact same boat as you, email on 15th waiting for assessment day. Have you heard anything yet bridbay?
Standard User Bridbay777
(newbie) Wed 22-Jan-20 20:59:29
Print Post

[re: CMorty123] [link to this post]

Not heard anything yet but donít think my area is in need of any at the moment so not holding my breath for anytime soon but you never know may be lucky
I know there was assessment days in Leeds earlier this month so may of missed that slot
Standard User Scoob123
(newbie) Mon 27-Jan-20 23:54:28
Print Post

Hi, I have my start date for 10th February, 2 weeks today!! Canít wait. Does anyone else start on this date.
However the last email I received from Openreach was that I have completed all online tasks what they sent me in December, Iím just waiting on a phone call to sort accommodation and travel arrangements for when I start my training.

However I know itís the first day in the two week period, when they said they were going to ring me, Iím just wondering when they usually do ring. For example straight away or nearer to the start date.

Sorry just a worrier, and want peace of mind so rest can be assured.
Thanks!
Standard User Redeye26
(newbie) Wed 29-Jan-20 07:29:18
Print Post

[re: Scoob123] [link to this post]

I've got the same start date as you 10th Feb, they contact you 1 to 2 weeks before your start date so they will contact you before Monday the 3rd of Feb. Keeping my phone next to me at all times just incase and can't wait to get started.
Standard User Bridbay777
(newbie) Wed 29-Jan-20 07:56:56
Print Post

What areas are you guys from ?
Standard User Bitofbanter
(regular) Thu 30-Jan-20 12:29:39
Print Post

North wales, passed video interview last August, still waiting to go to assessment centre.
Standard User Bridbay777
(newbie) Tue 04-Feb-20 14:21:39
Print Post

Hope you hear soon mate
Iím East Riding of Yorkshire on the coast up in Bridlington
Standard User billkpt
(newbie) Wed 05-Feb-20 11:38:11
Print Post

Hi,
what sort of questions do you get asked please?
How many?
When do you find out if your through?
T I Asmile
Standard User waiting4ever
(newbie) Thu 06-Feb-20 01:34:38
Print Post

Carmarthen in wales, I see 6 slots opened up but still no email inviting me to AC frown
Standard User Mareo
(newbie) Thu 13-Feb-20 08:48:42
Print Post

I'm from London
Standard User jay459
(newbie) Thu 05-Mar-20 03:50:34
Print Post

[re: Mareo] [link to this post]

I have got a video interview to do within the next 5 days. Can someone help with what i will be asked and how long answeres should be
Standard User Ryan24
(newbie) Thu 05-Mar-20 09:12:59
Print Post

[re: jay459] [link to this post]

I completed it at the end of January this year. Honestly just relax and you'll be fine. You start the interview and there are 3 pre-recorded video clips with Openreach staff asking you questions. I think you get a minute to prepare an answer after the clip ends and then if you don't like your first answer you can have a second go. My questions were (as far as I can remember)

1. Tell us about yourself
2. What do you know about Openreach
3. Why do you want to work for Openreach

There's also a lot of people saying shirt and tie as if you were going to an interview. I wore a plain black t-shirt and got through just fine. A shirt and tie will definitely make you look smarter but it's not needed. Just look in a mirror make sure there's no food stuck in your beard and neaten yourself up!

Good luck, take it easy, you'll be fine.
Standard User Ryan24
(newbie) Thu 05-Mar-20 09:17:15
Print Post

[re: new_guy] [link to this post]

Is there a fresh link to this group? every link I click says link expired. Would love to join
Standard User Kt2931
(newbie) Thu 05-Mar-20 21:57:06
Print Post

Hi I did my assessment centre interview on the 19th feb in Birmingham. Got an email saying well done you have passed to the next stage. I was just wondering how long you wait for a start date and do you get it via post, email or phone call ?
Standard User jay459
(newbie) Fri 06-Mar-20 01:06:28
Print Post

[re: Kt2931] [link to this post]

Is there a time limit on your answers for these video interview questions?
Standard User Kt2931
(newbie) Fri 06-Mar-20 09:28:12
Print Post

Yes you get about 2-3 minutes for each question
Standard User CMorty123
(newbie) Sun 08-Mar-20 16:47:42
Print Post

Can I ask how long you had to wait between passing the video interview and being invited to the assessment centre?
Standard User sergeantcookie
(newbie) Sun 08-Mar-20 18:25:17
Print Post

I've waited 2 weeks upto now since passing the video interview but not heard anything since regarding a date for assessment
Standard User baz0927
(newbie) Tue 10-Mar-20 17:02:48
Print Post

I passed my video interview in Feb 2019 and only heard about my assessment centre date last month , it all depends on your area
Standard User Tomdavies03
(newbie) Wed 11-Mar-20 10:13:01
Print Post

Anyone on here that attending an assessment centre in Cardiff in February? I got told a few days later that I passed and am just waiting on an email for a start date now, has anybody else heard anything?
Standard User jay459
(newbie) Thu 12-Mar-20 15:51:31
Print Post

[re: Tomdavies03] [link to this post]

I done the video interview a few days ago and got email today saying Congratulations ive passed but they process alot of applications and not all get an assessment invitation.

This is a bit strange way to put an interview pass lol

Anyway hopefully i get an assement soon, must brush up on maths and english.

If not a 3 pin plug, what are you wiring up, cat6 cable, something like that?
Standard User DHoos83
(newbie) Sat 21-Mar-20 14:25:59
Print Post

I got the same ambiguous response too but thankfully I did progress to the assessment centre so hope it means the same for you too.

The assessment centre was a little harder than I expected, the maths test concentrated a fair bit on calculating areas and knowing ratios and averages so that might be worth buffing up on. The practical exercise wasn't a 3 pin plug but rather a selection of different cable connections. I looked it up online after and sadly I can't find any guide on it so my advice is just listen clearly to the instruction and take your time.

I did pass the assessment so am now just waiting on a start date and the coronavirus issues probably won't help but at least I'm through. Sounds like you'll get to assessment so get on your maths skills and best of luck.
Standard User Antman70
(newbie) Tue 07-Apr-20 11:18:28
Print Post

[re: DHoos83] [link to this post]

I did the assessment on Feb 13th and got my acceptance on the 14th. Come tomorrow it will be 8 weeks. I have tried contacting the hr department and they have said please be patient but I have still got a place.
Standard User Antman70
(newbie) Thu 09-Apr-20 11:38:53
Print Post

Hi, have you heard back yet with a start date? I attended Aldershot assessment on the 13th feb (8weeks today), HR assure me I have a job but please be patient..........
How about you?

Ant
Standard User 00ants00
(newbie) Wed 06-May-20 08:44:59
Print Post

Hi guys, I can appreciate that Openreach are not currently hiring. But, Do you have any idea as to when they may be back onto hiring new trainee staff? Considering with all that is going on, Id imagine no one knows, but keen to find out.

I am interested in the Civil Engineering positions they offer and keen to get my CV over, what is the best way of engaging Openreach, is it just a case of waiting until advertised on their site or is there anywhere I can send my CV over to before they open up any active vacancies.

Also with the position of Civil Engineering, anyone here currently working for them? What are the opportunities for career progression and do they give you any formal qualifications after training which could be used in other areas of civil engineering in the years to come. (Not looking at moving on fast, but good to know future career options.

Thanks guys and stay safe.
Standard User Phil11
(regular) Tue 12-May-20 01:09:00
Print Post

[re: 00ants00] [link to this post]

Wow I forgot about this thread. They made me laugh Openreach.

Firstly I wish you all the best of luck and hope you have more success than I did.

Secondly, I applied in February 2019. Out of 3.5k jobs they created, I never ever did get an assessment. Despite already having maths/english and a load of previous experience within the networking industry.

I ended up with a far better job anyway on almost double the salary.

Just goes to show they pick who they want.

Once again, goodluck to you all..
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-May-20 07:08:48
Print Post

[re: Phil11] [link to this post]

Which is what the recruitment/interview process is all about ??

Standard User Phil11
(regular) Wed 13-May-20 00:01:47
Print Post

Which is what the recruitment/interview process is all about ??

Quite right,

What didn't make sense to me was significant experience and qualifications didn't seem to matter in my case.

That being said, up in the North West, half of the Openreach work is contracted out anyway to Kelly's communications. Maybe there wasn't a lot of openings.
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-May-20 16:26:34
Print Post

[re: Phil11] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Phil11:
goodluck to you all
Good luck to you too Phil, seems you have landed yourself a better paid job which is an important part of going to work.

I would encourage everyone looking for a job at Openreach not give up hope, sometimes you get a knock back the first time and on a second attempt get through.
Standard User MHalliday94
(newbie) Thu 14-May-20 16:47:37
Print Post

[re: 00ants00] [link to this post]

I applied for the role trainee engineer around 3 weeks ago, within a few hours of applying I received an email saying I had progressed through to the video interview stage. I completed that and 2 days after submitting my video interview I received an email my video interview was successful in progressing to the next stage and was to await further updates on potentially getting an interview/ assessment centre invite. I haven't heard anything in 2 weeks but I didn't expect to with everything going on right now. I'm still very hopeful to hear back and hopefully be successful and get stuck right in ASAP. Does anybody have any information up to date on what happens at the assessment day? Any information is extremely appreciated and I'm very grateful.

Hope everyone is doing well and thanks in advance for taking time to read this and even replying if you do.

From central East Scotland.
Standard User MindFlex
(newbie) Thu 21-May-20 11:31:40
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 9 *DELETED*

Post deleted by MindFlex
Standard User jay459
(newbie) Thu 04-Jun-20 19:06:12
Print Post

Re: Openreach recruitment 9 *DELETED*

[re: MindFlex] [link to this post]

Anyone here from northern ireland. What police check is done. I have an 8 year old conviction, its spent but will it show up
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to