General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Wed 04-Dec-19 09:53:56
Print Post

Some advice for working as a Civil Engineer with Openreach

[link to this post]

So I'm new here but found the forum very helpful when applying for a civil engineer role with Openreach so thanks for sharing your experiences and it seems I've passed everything and have been offered a starting date of mid Feb I'm very excited and lucky as my current and only job is far removed from the civil world. Before I jack that in though I want to make sure that Openreach is a good place to work obviously the people who interviewed me and the website sell the role very well so apart from the weather can anyone tell me whats good and bad about the job? Things like are the hours as I was told or does the day often run over? Are there a lots of additional training options and is the possibility of moving around or up the ladder real and lastly is it easy to move from one depot to another closer to home? Lots of questions I'm afraid but its a big decision and I want to know as much info as possible, thanks in advance.
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Sat 07-Dec-19 14:45:33
Print Post

Re: Some advice for working as a Civil Engineer with Openrea

[re: jonnie99] [link to this post]

Hello mate,

Iím also starting a civils role in February.

I donít know what working for Openreach is like but from what Iíve been able to find out they seem decent. The civils work youíll be doing isnít as big or heavy as the stuff you could be doing on a building site for example.

I think youíre generally doing multiple Ďjobsí in a day not stuck on one big job for a period of time. Iím not sure how often the day runs over past normal finishing time but anything over your normal hours is paid at time and half so youíll be earning good money.

As for moving up the ladder and extra training, I think thereís a good chance of both as far as Iíve heard.

People tend to stay working for them for a long long time so it must be a decent place.

Iím starting on the 3rd? What about you?

Michael
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Sat 07-Dec-19 16:16:17
Print Post

[re: Micky37] [link to this post]

Hi Michael,

Congratulations first up and thanks for replying to my post, I'm due to start training on the17th.

Yep you've pretty much confirmed everything I've heard and been able to find out and so fa.r I've been told nothing bad, which is good and kind of what I expected. A friend of a friend works as an engineer and has been with them for 20+ years and had only one bad thing to say and thats that on this new contract we sign we have to travel for up to an hour to and from the job without pay, he's on an older contract where that does not apply, as I commute for over 2 hours at the moment I'm happy to see that as commuting time anyhow. I guess 20+ years working for the same company says it all really.

Hope the training goes well, thanks again and good luck!!

Jonathan

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Sat 07-Dec-19 16:31:26
Print Post

No problem mate, Iím keen to find out info too.

Iím not certain 1 hour commute will really effect people doing civilís only really people that keep their van at home and go straight to the first job of a morning.

Civilís have to keep there vehicle at the depot, you have go there of a morning and then go to the job.

If the hour commute applied to me, it would mean, Iím travelling 40 mins to depot then up to an hour to the first job for your starting time, and then the same of a night time.

Donít think they would expect that of you? What do you think?

Michael
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Sat 07-Dec-19 16:43:30
Print Post

Ahh yes good point and probably why as engineer with a van he picked up on it. I'll keep having a nose about and if I find out anymore I'll let you know.

Jonathan
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Sat 07-Dec-19 22:42:57
Print Post

Yes mate, Iím struggling to find out any info on the civilís side of it, so any info is appreciated.

Cheers
Michael
Standard User w00d5t0ck
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-19 09:58:51
Print Post

Hello everyone.
I've just received an email with an offer of an assessment date in Liverpool for a civil engineer post on the 19th for 2.5 Hours. Any info on what to expect , i.e what the test involves?, would be great thanks.
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-19 10:10:20
Print Post

[re: w00d5t0ck] [link to this post]

Yes mate,

1 interview is customer service focused. Team work, helping a customer, difficult situation etc.

The other interview is health and safety focused, asking about times you have to follow health and safety rules and asking you about manual roles youíve had in the past.

Both interviews are very short, only a couple of questions and about 10/15 mins each.

The test is easy, basically a sheet of paper with 4 or 6 pictures on and you have to write down the hazards or the risks of each picture, very simple if you know what a hazard and a risk is.

Also a very quick colour blind test, they just ask you the colours of two wires and thatís it. Nothing to worry about unless youíre colour blind.

Michael
Standard User w00d5t0ck
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-19 10:39:40
Print Post

Thanks for that Michael. Thankfully No maths and English test then like the trainee engineer roles !
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-19 19:39:11
Print Post

[re: w00d5t0ck] [link to this post]

Think health and safety and then think some more on health and safety. As Micky37 said two interviews one on suitability and one on ability and a simple visual test and a colour blind test. No maths, english or practical tests. Do your research into Open Reach and what they do and where they do it. To be honest I found the online video interview more uncomfortable to do, good luck!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to