General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bridbay777
(newbie) Fri 09-Oct-20 21:57:04
Print Post

Re: Some advice for working as a Civil Engineer with Openrea

[re: jonnie99] [link to this post]

I had my assessment virtually on Wednesday and was successful but only to be told nothing in my area so down to more waiting now hopefully something will come up sooner rather than later
Standard User Chrisw91
(newbie) Thu 15-Oct-20 10:48:06
Print Post

[re: Bridbay777] [link to this post]

Hi Bridbay777

how long did you have to wait to hear back from them as i have applied online and completed the video interview which i had and email back saying i was successfully with the initial screening and would hear back in due course to see if i have made it to the assessment day.

i completed the whole process within 2 days and completed the video interview on the 27th September. i know this is only been 2 1/2 weeks ago but i would just like to know how long others had to wait.

Thanks in Advance
Standard User Bridbay777
(newbie) Thu 15-Oct-20 11:30:33
Print Post

[re: Chrisw91] [link to this post]

I waited 4 months for the virtual assessment and interviews but I think that was due to it all being tested and set up with COVID going on hopefully you will here soon

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chris7219
(newbie) Tue 10-Nov-20 13:05:26
Print Post

Hi guys, I've applied for a role with open reach as a civil engineer, any hints and tips for the interview?
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 20:01:02
Print Post

[re: Chris7219] [link to this post]

Hey Chris, If it's the first online one I'd say dress smart casual in fact do so for all the interviews, practice the process of answering to the computer screen not a person, you get a chance too once you log in and try to relax, easier said than done I know. Once you are past that stage research the company on their website, learn some info on health and safety, read up on health and safety and try to think of examples in your current role or day to day life where you have had to consider everyones health and safety. Again relax and be honest and open they are not necessarily looking for people with experience in the role, I came from a completely different background but landed the job. Another good place for tips and hints is on the Trainee Telecoms Engineers And Applicants Chat Group on Facebook, give that a go I found it very useful. Good luck
Standard User Chris7219
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 23:23:42
Print Post

Hey Jonnie, I really appreciate all the advice you've given there. I've completed the screening and I'm now waiting a date to attend a assessment center so got my fingers crossed. I currently work in telecommunications as a technical manager but it's all office based and I really just want to get out there now into the "real world" and not be sat behind a pc for 12 hours a day lol. If you don't mind me asking what does your day to day work load look like? What's the "typical" thing you do? I'm just trying to get a good insite into the role and the expectations.
Once again though I really appreciate you replying to my original message.
Standard User KieranGill
(newbie) Thu 12-Nov-20 09:32:53
Print Post

[re: Bridbay777] [link to this post]

Hey Mate,

Just wondering how your virtual assessment centre worked? I know there is a presentation and then 2 interviews? How did they run and what sort of things did they ask?

Cheers
Standard User c9dca05
(newbie) Thu 12-Nov-20 13:29:52
Print Post

Hi jonnie99 how long did you wait for the contract to come through, I assume it came by email? Passed my interview last week and they said they’d be sending a contract but not seen anything yet just wondered how long it normally takes as I don’t want to miss it.

Edited by c9dca05 (Thu 12-Nov-20 13:33:30)

Standard User c9dca05
(newbie) Thu 12-Nov-20 14:10:58
Print Post

[re: KieranGill] [link to this post]

Hi Kieran, First presentation 45 mins covered what the job is and what Openreach offers you. Next interview was with a manager lots of questions about why I wanted to join Openreach, what I knew about the company and the role and then a few questions about Health and Safety and why it’s important about 30 mins. Final was about examples where I’d gone the extra mile for a colleague or employer and times I’d problem solved should be 30 minutes but mine finished early about 20 minutes. Top tip wear a shirt and tie as it was commented on during mine that I had so I’m guessing some hadn’t.
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Thu 12-Nov-20 19:31:58
Print Post

[re: Chris7219] [link to this post]

Hi Chris,
So I'm still on my buddy training but a typical day is along the lines of:
Arrive at the yard for 7.30 load the lorries/vans, drive to the address where the work needs doing then its usually a mixture of digging a trench across a lawn, lifting paving slabs/block paving and then digging, breaking cement and tarmac and then digging down. In the trench we usually lay tubing to contain the cable or armoured cable without a pipe. We fit the boxes in the pavement for junctions and often dig in the correct marked spot for an engineer who then comes and makes the repair, we then back fill and reinstate any paving/slabs etc. Back at the yard for 3.30 to tidy up and unload. Depending on the size of the jobs you may have one all day or one in the morning one in the afternoon or as we have next week one that runs for several days. Sometimes the job over runs by an hour and its better to get the job finished in the day rather than leave the hole over night. I've not met a bad person yet its all very friendly and close knit, people want to help and share any advice/funny stories. I'm really enjoying it though the weather has been kinds so far, when its cold and wet it may be a slightly different story.......
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to