General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Wed 04-Dec-19 09:53:56
Print Post

Some advice for working as a Civil Engineer with Openreach

[link to this post]

So I'm new here but found the forum very helpful when applying for a civil engineer role with Openreach so thanks for sharing your experiences and it seems I've passed everything and have been offered a starting date of mid Feb I'm very excited and lucky as my current and only job is far removed from the civil world. Before I jack that in though I want to make sure that Openreach is a good place to work obviously the people who interviewed me and the website sell the role very well so apart from the weather can anyone tell me whats good and bad about the job? Things like are the hours as I was told or does the day often run over? Are there a lots of additional training options and is the possibility of moving around or up the ladder real and lastly is it easy to move from one depot to another closer to home? Lots of questions I'm afraid but its a big decision and I want to know as much info as possible, thanks in advance.
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Sat 07-Dec-19 14:45:33
Print Post

Re: Some advice for working as a Civil Engineer with Openrea

[re: jonnie99] [link to this post]

Hello mate,

Iím also starting a civils role in February.

I donít know what working for Openreach is like but from what Iíve been able to find out they seem decent. The civils work youíll be doing isnít as big or heavy as the stuff you could be doing on a building site for example.

I think youíre generally doing multiple Ďjobsí in a day not stuck on one big job for a period of time. Iím not sure how often the day runs over past normal finishing time but anything over your normal hours is paid at time and half so youíll be earning good money.

As for moving up the ladder and extra training, I think thereís a good chance of both as far as Iíve heard.

People tend to stay working for them for a long long time so it must be a decent place.

Iím starting on the 3rd? What about you?

Michael
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Sat 07-Dec-19 16:16:17
Print Post

[re: Micky37] [link to this post]

Hi Michael,

Congratulations first up and thanks for replying to my post, I'm due to start training on the17th.

Yep you've pretty much confirmed everything I've heard and been able to find out and so fa.r I've been told nothing bad, which is good and kind of what I expected. A friend of a friend works as an engineer and has been with them for 20+ years and had only one bad thing to say and thats that on this new contract we sign we have to travel for up to an hour to and from the job without pay, he's on an older contract where that does not apply, as I commute for over 2 hours at the moment I'm happy to see that as commuting time anyhow. I guess 20+ years working for the same company says it all really.

Hope the training goes well, thanks again and good luck!!

Jonathan

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Sat 07-Dec-19 16:31:26
Print Post

No problem mate, Iím keen to find out info too.

Iím not certain 1 hour commute will really effect people doing civilís only really people that keep their van at home and go straight to the first job of a morning.

Civilís have to keep there vehicle at the depot, you have go there of a morning and then go to the job.

If the hour commute applied to me, it would mean, Iím travelling 40 mins to depot then up to an hour to the first job for your starting time, and then the same of a night time.

Donít think they would expect that of you? What do you think?

Michael
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Sat 07-Dec-19 16:43:30
Print Post

Ahh yes good point and probably why as engineer with a van he picked up on it. I'll keep having a nose about and if I find out anymore I'll let you know.

Jonathan
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Sat 07-Dec-19 22:42:57
Print Post

Yes mate, Iím struggling to find out any info on the civilís side of it, so any info is appreciated.

Cheers
Michael
Standard User w00d5t0ck
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-19 09:58:51
Print Post

Hello everyone.
I've just received an email with an offer of an assessment date in Liverpool for a civil engineer post on the 19th for 2.5 Hours. Any info on what to expect , i.e what the test involves?, would be great thanks.
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-19 10:10:20
Print Post

[re: w00d5t0ck] [link to this post]

Yes mate,

1 interview is customer service focused. Team work, helping a customer, difficult situation etc.

The other interview is health and safety focused, asking about times you have to follow health and safety rules and asking you about manual roles youíve had in the past.

Both interviews are very short, only a couple of questions and about 10/15 mins each.

The test is easy, basically a sheet of paper with 4 or 6 pictures on and you have to write down the hazards or the risks of each picture, very simple if you know what a hazard and a risk is.

Also a very quick colour blind test, they just ask you the colours of two wires and thatís it. Nothing to worry about unless youíre colour blind.

Michael
Standard User w00d5t0ck
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-19 10:39:40
Print Post

Thanks for that Michael. Thankfully No maths and English test then like the trainee engineer roles !
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-19 19:39:11
Print Post

Think health and safety and then think some more on health and safety. As Micky37 said two interviews one on suitability and one on ability and a simple visual test and a colour blind test. No maths, english or practical tests. Do your research into Open Reach and what they do and where they do it. To be honest I found the online video interview more uncomfortable to do, good luck!
Standard User w00d5t0ck
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-19 19:59:49
Print Post

Cheers for that Jonnie..good advice
Standard User w00d5t0ck
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-19 20:13:28
Print Post

How many people are there for the assessment day ?
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Mon 09-Dec-19 10:39:32
Print Post

I think there was supposed to be 10-12 in my group but less than 1/2 turned up.
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Tue 17-Dec-19 21:01:52
Print Post

Does anyone know what this line of business means within Openreach?

I received the below regarding my new job but Iíd like to know what ĎBO-BOí is?

Job request number : ****
Job title: Civils Engineer Team
Role code: TMNE2
Line of business : BO-BO CHIEF ENGINEER
Work location: ****

Michael
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Dec-19 21:15:19
Print Post

ĎBehalf Ofí ??

The Chief Engineers office are like the Ďeliteí problem solving team, also trialling new techniques and products.

I can imagine how them having their own Ďtameí civils team might be very useful. Some of the longest delays in problem resolution are due to delays awaiting contractors to complete civils work.

Standard User MC31
(member) Tue 17-Dec-19 21:44:49
Print Post

Civil's don't have to give the hrs travel time as you have to start at a yard. Work wise it's digging holes about 1.5 x 1 M or duct usually no more then 30M. Thing is there is a lot of stuff under footways so you can't go mad.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Tue 17-Dec-19 22:07:13
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks Zarjaz,

Yes, It may well be as simple as Ďbehalf ofí.

You donít happen to have any knowledge of what Openreach training for civils team members involves?

Information online is hard to come by compared with info for normal Ďtrainee engineerí roles.

Best regards
Michael
Standard User Ady70
(newbie) Wed 18-Dec-19 16:58:23
Print Post

Hi, Iíve been in construction and civil engineering for the las 30 years. The last 20 years self employed. Iíve applied for a job on bt civils and I have been asked to take a video interview this week! Could anybody give me any tips on what to expect. All help gratefully received
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Dec-19 18:02:56
Print Post

Nope.

Itís a very new role I believe. Always been done by contractors in the past.

Standard User Ady70
(newbie) Wed 18-Dec-19 18:34:24
Print Post

Hi ,Ive got a video interview this week, any tips you could pass on please.
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Wed 18-Dec-19 18:35:04
Print Post

[re: Ady70] [link to this post]

I didnít do one mate, but I know Itís not video interview with a person, from what I remember reading on here, itís basically you recording your answer, I think you read the question and then press a button to record your answer.

I remember reading itís just important to act natural, theyíre arenít bothered if you fumble your answer and the questions arenít too hard, just examples of customer service / health and safety experience.

Sorry I couldnít help more. Maybe someone else in here thatís had one could advise.
Standard User Ady70
(newbie) Wed 18-Dec-19 18:45:37
Print Post

Thanks for replying mate,ive had my own small building and paving business for the last 20 years ,problem is i lose so much time due to the weather this time of year i think its time to look elsewhere and BT looks like a good company to work for.I havent had a formal interview for many years so was after some insight to the questions on the video interview.
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Wed 18-Dec-19 19:34:16
Print Post

[re: Ady70] [link to this post]

There is some info on this jobs and training forum, but I couldnít tell you where, I just went through page by page, one thing I would tell you is donít hold your breath for this job, the recruitment can take months and months, but it is supposed to be a good place to work. Just maybe get some work from smaller companies in the mean time.
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Tue 24-Dec-19 21:40:50
Print Post

[re: MC31] [link to this post]

Cheers for the reply mate.

You donít happen to have any knowledge of what Openreach training for civils team members involves?

Information online is hard to come by compared with info for normal Ďtrainee engineerí roles.

How many weeks training it is? Etc

Cheers
Michael
Standard User MC31
(member) Thu 26-Dec-19 22:35:38
Print Post

Sorry no , the guys I worked with had done civils work before but I think most of its H&S and road works guarding.They are very big on both.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Wed 01-Jan-20 20:33:46
Print Post

Hi, Can someone reply with a discord link please?

Thank you.
Standard User Littlewood94
(newbie) Thu 23-Jan-20 14:18:12
Print Post

Hi mate. Got my assessment next Friday at Leeds. Just trying to get some information about the civils role. Ie do you get a van to pick the rest of the team up or do you make your way to the yard and go from there. Also what are the typical hours you work day to day.

Thanks in advance
Standard User Micky37
(newbie) Thu 23-Jan-20 15:59:33
Print Post

[re: Littlewood94] [link to this post]

Hello mate, plenty of info on this Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/396262417943838/

You make your own way to the yard as far as Iím aware because mostly itís big 7.5ton vehicles used but Iím sure some lads will bring a van home.
Standard User Graeme27
(newbie) Wed 19-Feb-20 22:57:53
Print Post

Hi Micky,

I passed the assessment centre day for trainee civils role last month, but received an email saying that they are yet to create positions in my location, so iím currently awaiting a start date.

Can you tell me how long it was from being informed you had the job until receiving a start date please? And wether you received the same email as myself stating you had to wait for a position?

I know this may differ depending on location but any info would be helpful. Cheers
Standard User Deanrhall
(newbie) Thu 20-Feb-20 19:01:27
Print Post

[re: Graeme27] [link to this post]

Applied for job Been a bt contractor for last 8 years worked on large and small scale work does anyone know do the put you on street works course also info about taking van home?
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Thu 03-Sep-20 16:04:06
Print Post

Hey Michael,
Hope all is well bit of a late reply but I guess there's been plenty going on. Did you get to start your civil role in Feb? I was offered a job but had to turn it down as our daughter was very ill and we had no idea when she would get better. Thankfully all is well with her now and I've another interview next week over Skype this time, not face to face. If you have any info on the role i.e what's the day like and do you like it etc I'd appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
Jonathan
Standard User Micky37
(learned) Thu 03-Sep-20 17:07:19
Print Post

Hello mate

Yes I started and I’m still enjoying it. It’s a good company to work for, some good benefits and can earn good money especially with overtime.

For your interview make sure you mention experience with manual labour, mostly they want to hear that you’re fit and can dig. (Even if you’re not just tell them you are)

Focus on health and safety and customer service in your answers, they don’t question you hard, it’s a standard interview.

Day to day, you’ll be doing either

blockages, digging down on a duct and repairing a blockage.

Trench work. Digging trench and laying duct into it. Might be into a customers garden and/or on the street.

Fitting boxes. Digging a big hole and fitting a box.

Or usually a mix of the above.

Some jobs only last a day some last 2 or 3 days.

Just depends on how big it is and how had the jobs is.

You work in pairs,

You get a van each but can’t take it home but your start and finish the job in the yard so it’s not even like you’re out digging all day, you might have an hour to travel there and back to a job.

Any questions just ask....
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Fri 04-Sep-20 11:53:11
Print Post

Hey, Thats great glad your happy seems the only thing people can find to dislike is the weather! Thanks for getting back to me I've some questions to ask in my interview but if you've a spare 5 mins maybe you can answer these two?
It says 37 hours per week usually over 4-5 days a week including weekends is that correct? i.e do you have to work weekends? And whats your usual start and finish times?
Appreciate your reply and thanks again,
JM
Standard User Micky37
(learned) Fri 04-Sep-20 18:47:49
Print Post

In Civils we don’t work weekends unless you want to work them for overtime. (Paid time and half)

If you’re on a 5 day week (probably will be) Monday to Friday. it’s 7.30am - 3.40pm, start in the yard at 7.30 and head back to the yard to unload and leave for home at 3.40pm. Unless you want to stay on a job and get it finished and get some easy overtime in.

If you’re on a 4 day week, it’s 7am until 5pm. Monday to Friday with either a Wednesday or Thursday off and the weekend off too. It would be the same week day off each week.
You can work your day off for get a full days overtime in and still have the weekend off. A lot of lads do that, means you get about 40 hours overtime a month with out having to work a weekend.
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Sat 05-Sep-20 10:19:52
Print Post

Thats brilliant thank-you.

Jonathan
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Mon 21-Sep-20 14:27:05
Print Post

Hey Michael,

I got the civils gig, I'm just waiting for my contract to arrive due to start training mid October. Thanks for the advice.

Jonathan
Standard User elisecoen
(newbie) Tue 22-Sep-20 06:27:11
Print Post

Civil engineering covers a wide range of topics. There are some commonalities between them, though.

1) General Math, Trigonometry and Geometry - these are used all the time in many facets of civil engineering. They are used in surveying and to calculate dimensions and quantities, among other things.

2) Design - whether you design buildings, roads, pipelines, or the like, it is important to know how to design. Part of being a good designer is learning how to best communicate your design to someone who will build it. In order to do this, you need to be able to look at something in 3D and put enough information into 2 dimensional plans for someone unfamiliar with that "3D thing" to construct it in 3D.

3) Knowledge of Materials - whether it is aggregate, concrete, asphalt, pipe, steel, or the like, you need to have an understanding of the materials used in construction and how they will work to best suit your design. You need to understand their strengths and weaknesses.

4) Statics - "Statics is the study of methods for quantifying the forces between bodies. Forces are responsible for maintaining balance and causing motion of bodies, or changes in their shape." Statics is important when designing structural elements.

5) Engineering Law - Some knowledge of engineering law is helpful to keep you out of trouble. You don't want to put your stamp on something that is outside of your purview.

6) Understanding of regulations, standards, guidelines: there are a lot of important references to know to make sure that you are following regulations, standards and guidelines.

7) Estimating - it is important to know how to estimate the cost of construction

8) Determination - this is difficult work. There is a lot of problem solving. You need to have determination to think it through.

elisecoen
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Tue 22-Sep-20 07:24:32
Print Post

[re: elisecoen] [link to this post]

Hi thank-you for the helpful advice, I start my training with Openreach later this month.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Sep-20 07:56:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by elisecoen:
Civil engineering covers a wide range of topics. There are some commonalities between them, though.

1) General Math, Trigonometry and Geometry - these are used all the time in many facets of civil engineering. They are used in surveying and to calculate dimensions and quantities, among other things.

2) Design - whether you design buildings, roads, pipelines, or the like, it is important to know how to design. Part of being a good designer is learning how to best communicate your design to someone who will build it. In order to do this, you need to be able to look at something in 3D and put enough information into 2 dimensional plans for someone unfamiliar with that "3D thing" to construct it in 3D.

3) Knowledge of Materials - whether it is aggregate, concrete, asphalt, pipe, steel, or the like, you need to have an understanding of the materials used in construction and how they will work to best suit your design. You need to understand their strengths and weaknesses.

4) Statics - "Statics is the study of methods for quantifying the forces between bodies. Forces are responsible for maintaining balance and causing motion of bodies, or changes in their shape." Statics is important when designing structural elements.

5) Engineering Law - Some knowledge of engineering law is helpful to keep you out of trouble. You don't want to put your stamp on something that is outside of your purview.

6) Understanding of regulations, standards, guidelines: there are a lot of important references to know to make sure that you are following regulations, standards and guidelines.

7) Estimating - it is important to know how to estimate the cost of construction

8) Determination - this is difficult work. There is a lot of problem solving. You need to have determination to think it through.

I think you’ll find these roles will have more to do with wielding the ‘business end’ of a shovel.

Standard User JonRennie
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Sep-20 18:24:30
Print Post

Looks like an American definition, where 'Engineer' has a different meaning to the UK.

As Zarjaz says, this is more likely to be a lot more manual labour.

wink Comms is hard wink
Standard User Bridbay777
(newbie) Fri 09-Oct-20 21:57:04
Print Post

I had my assessment virtually on Wednesday and was successful but only to be told nothing in my area so down to more waiting now hopefully something will come up sooner rather than later
Standard User Chrisw91
(newbie) Thu 15-Oct-20 10:48:06
Print Post

[re: Bridbay777] [link to this post]

Hi Bridbay777

how long did you have to wait to hear back from them as i have applied online and completed the video interview which i had and email back saying i was successfully with the initial screening and would hear back in due course to see if i have made it to the assessment day.

i completed the whole process within 2 days and completed the video interview on the 27th September. i know this is only been 2 1/2 weeks ago but i would just like to know how long others had to wait.

Thanks in Advance
Standard User Bridbay777
(newbie) Thu 15-Oct-20 11:30:33
Print Post

[re: Chrisw91] [link to this post]

I waited 4 months for the virtual assessment and interviews but I think that was due to it all being tested and set up with COVID going on hopefully you will here soon
Standard User Chris7219
(newbie) Tue 10-Nov-20 13:05:26
Print Post

Hi guys, I've applied for a role with open reach as a civil engineer, any hints and tips for the interview?
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 20:01:02
Print Post

[re: Chris7219] [link to this post]

Hey Chris, If it's the first online one I'd say dress smart casual in fact do so for all the interviews, practice the process of answering to the computer screen not a person, you get a chance too once you log in and try to relax, easier said than done I know. Once you are past that stage research the company on their website, learn some info on health and safety, read up on health and safety and try to think of examples in your current role or day to day life where you have had to consider everyones health and safety. Again relax and be honest and open they are not necessarily looking for people with experience in the role, I came from a completely different background but landed the job. Another good place for tips and hints is on the Trainee Telecoms Engineers And Applicants Chat Group on Facebook, give that a go I found it very useful. Good luck
Standard User Chris7219
(newbie) Wed 11-Nov-20 23:23:42
Print Post

Hey Jonnie, I really appreciate all the advice you've given there. I've completed the screening and I'm now waiting a date to attend a assessment center so got my fingers crossed. I currently work in telecommunications as a technical manager but it's all office based and I really just want to get out there now into the "real world" and not be sat behind a pc for 12 hours a day lol. If you don't mind me asking what does your day to day work load look like? What's the "typical" thing you do? I'm just trying to get a good insite into the role and the expectations.
Once again though I really appreciate you replying to my original message.
Standard User KieranGill
(newbie) Thu 12-Nov-20 09:32:53
Print Post

[re: Bridbay777] [link to this post]

Hey Mate,

Just wondering how your virtual assessment centre worked? I know there is a presentation and then 2 interviews? How did they run and what sort of things did they ask?

Cheers
Standard User c9dca05
(newbie) Thu 12-Nov-20 13:29:52
Print Post

Hi jonnie99 how long did you wait for the contract to come through, I assume it came by email? Passed my interview last week and they said they’d be sending a contract but not seen anything yet just wondered how long it normally takes as I don’t want to miss it.

Edited by c9dca05 (Thu 12-Nov-20 13:33:30)

Standard User c9dca05
(newbie) Thu 12-Nov-20 14:10:58
Print Post

[re: KieranGill] [link to this post]

Hi Kieran, First presentation 45 mins covered what the job is and what Openreach offers you. Next interview was with a manager lots of questions about why I wanted to join Openreach, what I knew about the company and the role and then a few questions about Health and Safety and why it’s important about 30 mins. Final was about examples where I’d gone the extra mile for a colleague or employer and times I’d problem solved should be 30 minutes but mine finished early about 20 minutes. Top tip wear a shirt and tie as it was commented on during mine that I had so I’m guessing some hadn’t.
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Thu 12-Nov-20 19:31:58
Print Post

[re: Chris7219] [link to this post]

Hi Chris,
So I'm still on my buddy training but a typical day is along the lines of:
Arrive at the yard for 7.30 load the lorries/vans, drive to the address where the work needs doing then its usually a mixture of digging a trench across a lawn, lifting paving slabs/block paving and then digging, breaking cement and tarmac and then digging down. In the trench we usually lay tubing to contain the cable or armoured cable without a pipe. We fit the boxes in the pavement for junctions and often dig in the correct marked spot for an engineer who then comes and makes the repair, we then back fill and reinstate any paving/slabs etc. Back at the yard for 3.30 to tidy up and unload. Depending on the size of the jobs you may have one all day or one in the morning one in the afternoon or as we have next week one that runs for several days. Sometimes the job over runs by an hour and its better to get the job finished in the day rather than leave the hole over night. I've not met a bad person yet its all very friendly and close knit, people want to help and share any advice/funny stories. I'm really enjoying it though the weather has been kinds so far, when its cold and wet it may be a slightly different story.......
Standard User jonnie99
(newbie) Thu 12-Nov-20 19:39:20
Print Post

[re: c9dca05] [link to this post]

Hey, Think it was a couple of weeks I know I emailed the lady who told me that I'd got the job a couple of times just to ensure she did not forget. It was emailed to me I've not seen a paper one. Have you tried logging back into the site where you applied for the job I think its BT Tellio and to see if its there? Best advice though if you are worried just email and ask when you can expect it.
Standard User Sholdip
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-21 14:33:28
Print Post

This forum has been great, just recently passed my AC and was just wondering about something that was on the openreach website. It says your starting on £27k then team leaders get &30k and gang supervisors get £38k. I was just wondering how achievable are these promotions really? I’m guessing gang supervisors there’s just one for your area so not very achievable but teams leader might be a bit more? Thanks all.
Standard User BobbyH93
(newbie) Sat 23-Jan-21 16:16:36
Print Post

[re: Sholdip] [link to this post]

Hi, passed my assessment and have accepted my offer as a civil engineer, anyone else been given a start date ?? 15th feb? And what’s the procedure with week 1 will it be week 1 at yarnfield then more info from there ? Any more info would be appreciated
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to