General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BattyMcBatFace
(newbie) Fri 12-Feb-21 15:26:56
Print Post

Openreach Trainee Engineer - Am I too old at 50?

[link to this post]

So I think I may be having some sort of mid(late) life crisis.I've been in my current job a really long time and was looking for a change as I want to feel I've accomplished something rather than being stuck in a dead end job with no prospect of career progression.

So I applied to be a trainee engineer and have been offered a role starting in the next couple of months. I haven't had a contract yet but I think reality has just started to dawn on me. I am 50 and female and I know neither should matter but really, am I mad?

I am fit and healthy so the physical side doesn't worry me, it's more a case of is my brain capable of learning all this stuff as it's been a really long time since it had to do anything remotely taxing. I've seen the lovely ladies on the 'Watch Me' recruitment pages and that's what initially spurred me on to apply.

Any views welcome, good or bad!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Feb-21 16:22:20
Print Post

Re: Openreach Trainee Engineer - Am I too old at 50?

[re: BattyMcBatFace] [link to this post]

It is a state of mind ..... a ‘can do’ attitude, problem solving, etc, etc.

For the most part, common sense, and a willingness to help, and be helped by others will get you there.

I’ve got 7 more years on my clock than you .....

Standard User BattyMcBatFace
(newbie) Fri 12-Feb-21 19:13:47
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
It is a state of mind ..... a ‘can do’ attitude, problem solving, etc, etc.

For the most part, common sense, and a willingness to help, and be helped by others will get you there.

I’ve got 7 more years on my clock than you .....

Can I be cheeky and ask - are you a Service Delivery engineer and if so, when did you start?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IamJohno
(newbie) Sat 13-Feb-21 10:19:38
Print Post

In my virtual assessment there was plenty of "older" people you certainly won't be the only one about 50
Standard User slimj
(committed) Wed 17-Feb-21 12:30:42
Print Post

Sounds good to me. Lifes too short to be stuck in a job you don't enjoy.

I can imagine being part of the Fibre rollout could be pretty interesting, and you get the feeling of being part of something that is going to improve the country! smile
Standard User ShavedApe
(member) Sun 21-Feb-21 12:27:13
Print Post

We had a guy on our group at training that was 62 so definitely not, there was 57 year old too and I was 44. Four years later I can honestly say it was the best move I ever made. Im SD on copper so its definitely intersting everyday, sometimes physical sometimes easy but never the same.

My comments are my own and represent my opinion only not that of any person or company I may have links to.

Edited by ShavedApe (Sun 21-Feb-21 14:13:24)

Print Thread

Jump to