General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sonny_T
(newbie) Sun 21-Feb-21 17:29:02
Print Post

Given a start date as Fibre Jointer and have some questions.

[link to this post]

Hi!

I have at long last been given a start date for next month as a Fibre Jointer but I don't really know enough about the role, training, Openreach, etc and hoped you all could answer some of my questions is that is OK?

What does the typical day look like for a Fibre Jointer? I believe that they cover a lot of different jobs? Does include installation in peoples houses?

As I am in Scotland, is there training centres in Scotland that I would go to or is it always Yarnfield? How long is the training?

What is my working pattern likely to be? How many weekends per month, what shifts, etc?

Do you still shadow someone for 6 months after training?

Is the training good enough to get a new person up to speed and trained correctly?

The starting wage is £21,845 but when does that go up and what does it go up to?

I've read that managers can be on your back a lot and some jobs go on for hours after your finishing time. Is this still the case?

At this point, I am genuinely on the fence about whether or not this is the job for me as I want to make sure I will definitely enjoy it so am wanting to know as much as possible.

If I am completely honest, I'm apprehensive about travelling all the time and I keep picturing silly scenarios like drilling through someone's house wall and hitting a pipe or something smile

I am a worrier about these things.
Standard User partial
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Feb-21 19:33:26
Print Post

Re: Given a start date as Fibre Jointer and have some questi

[re: Sonny_T] [link to this post]

At that pay point it sounds suspiciously like a new role.

https://www.cwu.org/news/new-openreach-role-a-race-t...

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Feb-21 19:53:18
Print Post

Why did you apply ?

You cannot always finish on time.

You will travel about a lot.

It is pretty unlikely you will be working in customer properties.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sonny_T
(newbie) Sun 21-Feb-21 20:02:51
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Sorry, yeah it's trainee engineer but the role is Fibre Jointer.
Standard User Sonny_T
(newbie) Sun 21-Feb-21 20:05:22
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I applied over 2 years ago and my circumstances are different now.

If you don't finish on time, how late are you expected to over your finish time to get a job finished? Do you get paid they hours?

How far do you travel, is there a maximum distance?
Standard User choppersrock
(regular) Sun 21-Feb-21 20:33:44
Print Post

I applied and went through the fibre jointer role for a little while but didn't stay. Not sure now with covid but I was expected to be away for 12 weeks for inital basic training mon-friday before transferring over to local depot etc.. probably different now with covid etc. I did week 1 at yarnfield then the next 11 weeks were at various locations with hotel stays Sunday night to Thursday night then travelling back home Friday in the van after training on that day.

Sky Fibre Pro - Billion 880nl V1 (bridge mode) + Opnsense with ipv6 - ECI cab, G.INP disabled April 2016

Edited by choppersrock (Sun 21-Feb-21 20:35:19)

Standard User Sonny_T
(newbie) Sun 21-Feb-21 20:44:05
Print Post

[re: choppersrock] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by choppersrock:
I applied and went through the fibre jointer role for a little while but didn't stay. Not sure now with covid but I was expected to be away for 12 weeks for inital basic training mon-friday before transferring over to local depot etc.. probably different now with covid etc. I did week 1 at yarnfield then the next 11 weeks were at various locations with hotel stays Sunday night to Thursday night then travelling back home Friday in the van after training on that day.

Thanks. Can I ask why you didn't stay?

Also, how did you find the job? Did you feel like the training was good enough to get you up to speed?
Standard User choppersrock
(regular) Sun 21-Feb-21 20:47:25
Print Post

Tbh I am not going to go into the reasons on a public forum. However the training courses I did do were well run and run in house at various openreach training centres. Week 1 involves kit issue and van drive assessment which you need to pass as you drive it home at the end of the week....(well I did)

Sky Fibre Pro - Billion 880nl V1 (bridge mode) + Opnsense with ipv6 - ECI cab, G.INP disabled April 2016
Standard User Sonny_T
(newbie) Sun 21-Feb-21 21:22:54
Print Post

[re: choppersrock] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by choppersrock:
Tbh I am not going to go into the reasons on a public forum. However the training courses I did do were well run and run in house at various openreach training centres. Week 1 involves kit issue and van drive assessment which you need to pass as you drive it home at the end of the week....(well I did)

Of course, no problem.

Thanks for the info.
  Print Thread

Jump to