General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User J0099595
(newbie) Tue 02-Mar-21 08:42:25
Print Post

Changing during application

[link to this post]

Hi! I've got an interview for Trainee Engineer Role with Openreach, if all goes well then hopefully I have passed and am just waiting for the job to start. After doing some more research I've seen they are now currently advertising for Civil Engineer Trainees, which they weren't before, I think this would be preferred over Engineer role. Does anyone know if this would be possible to enquire about switching roles or would I have to apply all over again if I pass the interview please?

thanks!
Standard User Sneaky_Beaky
(newbie) Wed 03-Mar-21 14:20:43
Print Post

Re: Changing during application

[re: J0099595] [link to this post]

Hi, Civils is a separate part of the business. You will need to apply through the Civils separately.

The process is very similar and I have posted about my experience of both here

Good luck!
Standard User J0099595
(newbie) Wed 03-Mar-21 14:30:57
Print Post

[re: Sneaky_Beaky] [link to this post]

Thank you, your post is really helpful. I've applied to civil and got through to the AC but haven't got a date for this yet. I've also just passed the AC for Trainee Engineer, found out this morning so that was a jump around the house happy moment! They'll be in touch with a start date

Did you have a preference for which one you would prefer?

thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sneaky_Beaky
(newbie) Wed 03-Mar-21 14:47:19
Print Post

[re: J0099595] [link to this post]

Awesome news!

I found the Civils interviews much easier, just asked me about health & safety and the situational questions. The interviewers were also a bit more chatty.

Both have pros and cons, Civils pays a LOT more money to start for example as there is no 'training tax', but is more limited down the line. I ended up just decided to take whichever one came up first, which was telecoms.
Standard User J0099595
(newbie) Wed 03-Mar-21 14:57:10
Print Post

[re: Sneaky_Beaky] [link to this post]

Thank you, that's good to know. I'm really hoping that civils don't take too long to get back to me, before a start date for the other, then I have got options.

However I'm not sure what I'd choose, I've also heard that civils is more limited down the line. I'm just so relieved that I've past 1 at least ! Congrats and good luck for you !
  Print Thread

Jump to