General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sneaky_Beaky
(newbie) Wed 03-Mar-21 14:14:33
Print Post

My Openreach Engineer Application and Interview Experience

[link to this post]

My Openreach Engineer Application and Interview Experience – For Telecoms and Civils

Just want to share my experience to help give others an idea of the process they might go through.

• Openreach Trainee Engineer application process
o I applied in May 2018
o I was then on the waiting list for 2.5 years. Your experience does not matter at this stage. I’m a computer technician of 5+ years with a diploma in electronics, I thought I’d get a call based on this as it’s a great fit but it really just depends if there are any jobs going. I later found out my area does not have jobs very often, this will completely depend on where you live.

o I was invited to an assessment centre on January 8th 2021 due to the big recruitment drive.
o My assessment was done by video due to Covid, which I passed.
o I was called March 3rd 2021 with a job offer to start April 19th. So you can see while I waited 2.5 years for my assessment, after that the ball rolled relatively quickly.

• Openreach Civil Engineer application process
o I applied in September 2020
o I was only on the waiting list for a couple of months before my assessment.

o I was invited to an assessment centre on January 7th 2021 due to the big recruitment drive. (Yes, I literally ended up doing both assessments back-to-back after waiting so long, what are the chances).
o My assessment was done by video due to Covid, which I passed.
o I have not yet been called with a job offer. So while I got my assessment very quickly with the civils unlike the telecoms-side, a job offer has not been as quick.

• Interviews and assessment
o There is an initial video interview after you apply. You have to talk to the camera, focussing on questions about you and why you want to work for Openreach. You have time to prepare in advance and can re-take the question so this is not difficult just dress well and try to be confident.
o After this there is a written test to see how you would handle certain situations. Customer service skills and common sense will get you through this.

o You will be invited to an hour-long presentation about Openreach, after which you will have 2 interviews with 2 managers, all on the same day. One focusses on about you, what you know about the job etc. The other focusses on your skills. Smile, look into the camera, dress well, be confident. Do your research and prepare if you really want it.
o Pay attention to the presentation. You will be asked what you know about Openreach, a lot of which is in the presentation.

o The suitability interview focusses on you and what you know; What are your hobbies? What is your greatest achievement? What do you know about Openreach? Who are some competitors?
o The capability interview focusses on your skills and experience. They especially want to know about manual work, customer service skills and health & safety awareness.

o The harder questions in both interviews are situational; Describe a time where you have gone above and beyond for a customer? Demonstrate a time where you have used health and safety? Tell me about a time you have used teamwork?
o The hard part is that these have to be very specific, you must go into great detail and they will probe you on your answers so it helps if you have real experiences to draw on.
o If you don’t, have a think before-hand and come up with something, it doesn’t have to be from work. I have experience and still found it hard as some questions I was not prepared for. This is the part that will ultimately make or break your application.

Good luck! Any questions ask away.

Edited by Sneaky_Beaky (Wed 03-Mar-21 14:32:37)

Standard User ziipop
(newbie) Wed 03-Mar-21 14:26:32
Print Post

Re: My Openreach Engineer Application and Interview Experien

[re: Sneaky_Beaky] [link to this post]

Thankyou for you information and help! Just a week till interview so fingers crossed 🤞🤞👍
Standard User J0099595
(newbie) Wed 03-Mar-21 14:37:58
Print Post

Re: My Openreach Engineer Application and Interview Experien

[re: Sneaky_Beaky] [link to this post]

Congrats on passing and the job offer ! Thank you for sharing your experience

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to