General Discussion
  >> Jobs and Training

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User letsdothis
(newbie) Fri 30-Apr-21 19:45:07
Print Post

Trainee engineer roles

[link to this post]

Evening everyone, after the virtual assessment day couple of weeks ago, I have received the call with a start date for 28th of June as a service delivery.
Anyone here working as a service delivery, Id like to know how it is like on day to day basis please?
I have no idea about the difference between all the roles and which one is better? Any ideas?
I read somewhere service delivery do a lot of climbing, is that true as I thought service delivery engineers mainly fix and install broadband on premises
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Apr-21 20:10:59
Print Post

Re: Trainee engineer roles

[re: letsdothis] [link to this post]

Service delivery bods do a little bit of most things.... once they have acquired a full range of skills.

To start out it’ll ‘cab only’ VDSL work, known as an SI task, that and basic provision of lines.
Maybe some exchange jumpering.
Usually the next skill is FTTC faulting visits , SFVA jobs.

Then it’ll be UG work. Maybe ADSL faults.

There’s climbing to be done for lots of activities.

There are plenty of other things to become skilled at, niche products like ISDN, PW repair, track and locate, REIN, etc, etc.

The more skills you have, the more varied your day might be

Standard User letsdothis
(newbie) Sat 01-May-21 14:25:34
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thank you, that's very helpful, in your opinion which one of these is best SD, Fttc, Fttp engineer? And have more potential and progression?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-May-21 15:25:20
Print Post

SD are ‘FTTC engineers’

I’d guess that FTTP has more mileage in it. But it is possible to have ALL the skills.

Standard User FrostyJaxx
(newbie) Sun 02-May-21 07:51:02
Print Post

Hi mate,

First time posting for a while - I’ve been waiting a while but had confirmation that I’ll be starting SD on 28th June too!

See you there!
Standard User letsdothis
(newbie) Sun 02-May-21 10:54:33
Print Post

[re: FrostyJaxx] [link to this post]

Hi mate, congrats on getting a start date! see you there, they say I am gonna be a SD but haven't said what I will be doing exactly and it is confusing
Standard User FrostyJaxx
(newbie) Tue 04-May-21 11:53:03
Print Post

Hey mate,

I may be wrong but this is as I understand it, working at customers houses installing services. Working at cabinets, up poles and underground (after further training). Fault finding and maintenance on the (copper) network.

I could be wrong but I believe this is the basis of SD, I was told job roles may change depending on the needs of the business but as we’re both set for the same date I’d say it’s a safe bet it won’t as our group is set to go
  Print Thread

Jump to