User comments on ISPs
  >> KCOM (KC, Karoo)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Feb-18 14:32:24
Print Post

Sneaky KCOM fibre sales strategy

[link to this post]

KCOM seems to have totally changed their strategy for selling fibre in the last couple of weeks, and drastically increased prices through the back door.

Until recently, the entry-level fibre package (at 50/10 speeds) was the same price as the standard ADSL package, at £32pm. Both with 35GB usage allowance and a call package.

Their strategy (of keeping fibre price the same as DSL price) hasn't changed. (*)

However, the fibre packages no longer offer any entry-level option: the lowest speed is now 150Mbps, and the lowest allowance is 200GB. This means the first fibre package starts at £40 without a call allowance.

Once a UK call package is included (where the minimum price a month ago was £32pm), the price this month is now £45.

Even worse, once the checker detects that fibre is available to you, it only offers you a choice of fibre packages. The ADSL ones have disappeared.

(*) - Strike that. Having looked more closely, the price for 150mbps fibre is £5pm higher than ADSL, and 350Mbps is £10pm higher - when using identical usage and call allowances.

Edited by WWWombat (Wed 14-Feb-18 14:47:18)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Feb-18 17:22:13
Print Post

Re: Sneaky KCOM fibre sales strategy

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Just noticed the revamp of packages, so will have to sit down on Thursday and update listings.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Oct-18 08:59:30
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Well if they want to come to my area and sell it to me, sneaky of not I would. I know they can't but they do much better speeds than we get - so why whinge? If you don't want it to take it - but many including me wish we could!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TTTJJJ
(newbie) Mon 30-Dec-19 00:41:08
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

I think the issue is that there's literally no choice whether to take it or not.

The prices are ridiculously expensive and are one of the few providers to still have usage fees. You can easily find FTTC broadband 40mbps at less than 20 a month for unlimited usage elsewhere in the country but with KCOM this is impossible. They also have basically zero discounting. There's no alternatives other than rubbish 'air broadband' and 4G currently.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Dec-19 11:06:52
Print Post

[re: TTTJJJ] [link to this post]

They used to have usage fees but the Lightstream packages are now unlimited usage

If an old customer on a usage based package it may be worth seeing if you can swap over to unlimited now

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to