Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Mar-11 19:43:01
Print Post

Re: Considering the dark side - Distro comparison

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
I've never claimed to be a Linux expert; I'm just a user of it since the 0.9 kernel. Now The Linux Foundation - they're experts. The people who produce Slackware Linux (the first Linux distribution) - again, they're experts. I'm happy to take their word for what Linux is.
Cool
In reference to www.slackware.com:
Slackware Linux is a complete 32-bit multitasking "UNIX-like" system. It's currently based around the 2.6 Linux kernel series and the GNU C Library version 2.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Mar-11 19:46:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Slackware Linux is a complete 32-bit multitasking "UNIX-like" system. It's currently based around the 2.6 Linux kernel series and the GNU C Library version 2.
Thanks for pointing that out - exactly what I said. Slackware Linux is built around the Linux kernel.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Mar-11 19:47:49
Print Post

Thanks for pointing that out - exactly what I said. Slackware Linux is built around the Linux kernel.
And GNU, as it's GNU/Linux wink

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Mar-11 19:50:35
Print Post

I don't think anyone has denied the GNU components in Linux. But we don't talk about GNU/OS X (well, I don't) or GNU/FreeBSD, or GNU/Solaris, or ....
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Mar-11 19:53:08
Print Post

I don't think anyone has denied the GNU components in Linux. But we don't talk about GNU/OS X (well, I don't) or GNU/FreeBSD, or GNU/Solaris, or ....
You appear to be confused between distributions and operating systems. I suggest you ask Slackware, who you claim to trust.

Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Mar-11 19:57:21
Print Post

OS X, FreeBSD, and Solaris are all Operating Systems (at least they were last time I checked). And they all contain GNU components.

I think perhaps you are confusing Operating System kernels with Operating Systems. It's an easy mistake to make.

Edit: PS. I took your advice. Slackware say:
The Official Release of Slackware Linux by Patrick Volkerding is an advanced Linux operating system
That's good enough for me! smile

Edited by AEP (Mon 28-Mar-11 19:59:23)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Mar-11 20:04:40
Print Post

OS X, FreeBSD, and Solaris are all Operating Systems (at least they were last time I checked). And they all contain GNU components.

I think perhaps you are confusing Operating System kernels with Operating Systems. It's an easy mistake to make.

Edit: PS. I took your advice. Slackware say:
The Official Release of Slackware Linux by Patrick Volkerding is an advanced Linux operating system
That's good enough for me! smile
Here's a bit more history for you to ponder
The kernel and the majority of the code in FreeBSD has been released and distributed under the BSD license.

The Linux kernel, and most of the software in the GNU project, has been licensed under the GNU GPL which was created by the Free Software Foundation.

Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Mar-11 20:28:27
Print Post

Thanks. Would you like to tell me something that I don't already know?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Mar-11 20:50:21
Print Post

Thanks. Would you like to tell me something that I don't already know?
How long have you got?

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Mar-11 21:09:53
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

You should try Arch.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | [8] | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to