Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User prlzx
(committed) Mon 28-Mar-11 21:20:25
Print Post

Re: Considering the dark side - Distro comparison

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

While the discussion about the use of GNU/Linux vs Linux has merit it's off topic for what the OP is asking about.

Therefore can I refer the posters who want to continue that argument to the following XKCD and the logical conclusion of such discussions at bash.org (IRC: may contain irony. And nuts.) then we can get back to converting camieabz to the dark side smile

With thanks.

prompt $P - Invalid drive specification - Abort, Retry, Fail? $G
prlzx on n e w n e t Max ADSL
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Mar-11 21:29:48
Print Post

[re: prlzx] [link to this post]

You're wasting your time. He will have to return to Windows to run Office.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Mon 28-Mar-11 22:07:44
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
You're wasting your time. He will have to return to Windows to run Office.

'He', meaning me?

'I' will be sticking with windows for the duration of this WIndows OS installation / life of this PC. I will almost certainly dabble with a dual boot in the meantime. Come the next system (my Windows is OEM anyway), I have the option of using linux with a virtual PC of any old windows setup if I must have Office apps (It's a retail version too.)

However, it's 2007, and while I have slowly gotten used to it, it's still a pain for some tasks. I installed a fix for the old menus to speed up my productivity,

The trialing of linux starts now. The decision to switch comes when I have to decide whether or not to buy a Windows OS in the future. Since it will be a while before Win7 SP2 is out (I never buy Windows until it's at SP2), and since my current hardware is only 2 years old, it could be anything from 12-36 months for the next system.

I've got a lot on in the meantime, so it will take a long time to get to know linux anyway, so I can get a real feel for it, rather than make a silly snap 'I don't like it' call.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Mar-11 22:15:11
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Why faff about with dual boot if you're only testing? Set up a VM or two.
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Mar-11 22:31:15
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

Why not dual-boot? It's not as if it's difficult. That way Cammie can see Linux at its best, using all of his hardware and all of his RAM.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Mon 28-Mar-11 22:37:43
Print Post

Firstly because of AEP's reasons.

Secondly, virtual software is, for me a temporary necessary evil to solve problems, rather than a permanent solution. Additionally, if I did choose windows down the line for the next system, I would almost certainly have linux on this one running side by side (hardware failures excepted).

Maybe if the VM designers managed to get round things, fine, but my only decent reason for VM software is to run 16-bit gaming on a 64-system, and afaik they haven't solved that one yet.

~~~~~~~~~~

report this link

Edited by camieabz (Mon 28-Mar-11 22:38:02)

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Mar-11 22:46:31
Print Post

Sorry, I didn't think you were looking for something permanent atm. Looked like you just wanted to dip into a few distros to see which one you'd prefer.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Mar-11 22:48:08
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
Why not dual-boot? It's not as if it's difficult. That way Cammie can see Linux at its best, using all of his hardware and all of his RAM.
I'm not even sure why you're still posting in this thread? You demonstrated your ignorance of the topic enough already.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Mon 28-Mar-11 23:02:17
Print Post

Already dipping with Live CDs.

~~~~~~~~~~

report this link
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Mar-11 23:16:05
Print Post

The best ones haven't got livecds though, like Arch. (Although technically there's Chakra, which is an arch variant)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to