Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Fri 01-Apr-11 23:15:11
Print Post

Re: 32- and 64-Bit

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

This article suggests 5%-10% for 64-bit. Page five is the most pertinent.

I think memory and cache management is improving over time. Prefetch is a great feature of Vista. Most of apps take anything from a split second to two seconds depending on the last time used etc. Persoanlly, I boot up with around 1.25GB used in Vista and with the exception of programs causing memory leaks, have struggled to used more than 3GB at any one time (caching aside).

At one point I had set my swapfile to be 2GB with no maximum, but have since resized it to be at least 4096MB (the amount of RAM), primarily due to memory dump requirements. Now it has a fixed 4GB min and 5GB max. If I need 4GB memory and 5GB swapfile on this system, there will be a problem. smile

I'm not inclined to believe that 64-bit take 'x' space of 32-bit until someone can give me like for like installations of program 'x' 'y' and 'z' on either platform. I have a feeling that the programs designed in 2003-2007 (XP 32-bit dominance) used less because they had to and because designer limitations made it so. It still felt bloated. Now there's a new series of bloatware specially designed for 64-bit and it will use as much as it needs since the typical installation has a minimum of 2GB and a likely of 4GB.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Apr-11 07:19:39
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

Whatever you say. You sure seem to be an expert on thi subject. crazy
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Apr-11 15:47:30
Print Post

I've Got an Idea

I do find all this "handbags at dawn" stuff a little boring, so why not make it a little more interesting?
The world has moved on from bbc basic programs AEP. I doubt your 10 line 'assembler' program...
This is a fairly easy thing to settle. I'm going to put up £1000 that says I can prove that my work is more than "BBC Basic" and/or a "10 line 'assembler' program". A little wager that will prove I know what I'm talking about.

Now I have a conscience, so I wouldn't dream of asking you to match my £1000. Let's make it £100. That odds of 10 to 1 in your favour - pretty generous.

No, wait. It's a nice day. I'd still feel guilt about taking your money. Let's make it odds of 100 to 1. £1000 of my money against £10 of yours says that I can demonstrate that my work is substantially more than a "10 line 'assembler' program". That's a pretty tempting offer, isn't it, seeing as how you know I'm talking BS.

There are three possible outcomes:

1. You take the wager, win it, make me look pretty stupid, and take £1000 off me.

2. You take the wager, lose it, make yourself look pretty stupid, and lose £10.

3. You chicken out, refuse to take the wager, and make yourself look really stupid. (That's the one I'm betting on.)

You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Apr-11 16:13:12
Print Post

Re: I've Got an Idea

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Throwing money around to protect your ego on a worthless internet forum now AEP? How low can you sink?
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Apr-11 16:16:50
Print Post

I take it you chose option 3! smile smile smile

At least we now know who's BSing.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Apr-11 16:19:27
Print Post

I still can't believe you wrote all that self-aggrandising nonsense over what was obviously an April fools wind up.
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Apr-11 16:20:43
Print Post

Chick, chick, chick, chick, chicken, lay a little egg for me.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 02-Apr-11 17:31:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by 12eason:
I still can't believe you wrote all that self-aggrandising nonsense over what was obviously an April fools wind up.
I don't think he's got it wink

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Apr-11 17:45:05
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Nah - an April Fool's got to be before midday. But I certainly got the "Fool" bit. A rather foolish little chicken as it turns out. smile
Standard User sponge34
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Apr-11 18:23:07
Print Post

Sorry for 'holy thread resurrection, batman' but did you look at the history of 64 bit O/S and CPUs?

There was a 64 bit version of OpenVMS and a 64bit Unix to go with the DEC Alpha chip many years, like the late 1980s early 1990s, before wintel got hold of the idea (Itanium 2001).

The Alpha was odd - a friend had to write software for it and, apparently, there were many weird things going on in the microcode that really shouldn't have been.

When Digital were taken over by Compaq the AXP range of chips were sold to Intel and the technology buried whilst Intel tried to make their x86 chips always backwards compatible... rumour has it they gave up on that idea when the Pentium and subsequent architectures came along - even though the Pentium can still run x86 code... I don't think there is a 4004 inside Intel CPUs these days but there certainly was in CPUs up to the 486...

Sorry again for the resurrection.

S.

fish != fork

FSM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to