Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Kaufhof
(experienced) Sun 02-Oct-11 11:59:02
Print Post

Re: Is it worth me getting Linux on my old laptop?

[re: Old_Git] [link to this post]

There is also an ubuntu derivative - Linux Mint. The current version is LM11 (Katya) and I think it should work as well for you as for me. Look it up but be sure to avoid Linux Mint Debian Edition unless you fancy a real challenge!

Trevor

BTBroadband Option 1 - Speed: Up to 8Mbps
Standard User bearfreeman
(newbie) Tue 27-Dec-11 05:08:51
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

I have 4 old PCs about 8 - 10 years old; 1.1, 2.4, 2.6 & 3.4GHz all 1Gb, with XP on them which runs okay. I've tried a few Linux derivitives, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Zorin, but so far, Jolicloud is my fave. It states that it's suitable for older computers, comes with ChromIUM/Nickel browser so no tracking by Giggle, Firefox & loads of other free software packages are available including Open Office. It boots up and shuts down without any 'gobbledegook' stuff on screen, & has a nice colour scheme as standard, very stable and nicely presented. It can be downloaded and installed alongside Windoze so you choose which one to use when booting up, and can be deleted from add/delete programs in Windoze if you don't want it. Or, do away with Windoze and just have Jolicloud. Jolicloud can also be burned to a CD or usb dongle and used as a live disk prior to any installation. www.jolicloud.com

Edited by bearfreeman (Tue 27-Dec-11 05:21:43)

Standard User notleyc
(newbie) Thu 05-Jan-12 11:32:00
Print Post

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

Any modern version of Linux will run very smoothly while offering you access to the latest bells and whistles (animations, etc.).

While Windows 7 is the best version to date (as it should be, it's the culmination of nearly 30 years of development), I think you will be very pleasantly surprised with how responsive Linux is - every colleague of mine who sees my laptop always remarks how snappy it seems in comparison to Windows (of any flavour).

Many will warn you that Linux is really difficult to learn and 10 years ago this was true. I have switched my parents and even my Wife's 92 year old grandmother over to it with hardly any issues (the only issue from her grandmother was that she wanted the Windows version of solitaire...).

Choice of distribution is a personal one and sometimes people will be very defensive. I personally use Ubuntu now, but I have heard very good things about Mint too. The beauty of Linux is that for the time taken to download a few images and the cost of a few CDRs, you can try as many as you like (if you have the time/inclination).

Two additional points to consider with Linux are:

1. Most versions of Linux come supplied with a comprehensive range of software (not just the OS and a browser) along with a way of easily adding other software (imagine the add/remove programs control panel being able to search for and install additional software without you needing to download and then install).
2. Virus scanning is generally not required. This does not mean Linux is or will always be immune to all forms of virus; it's primarily that the architecture of the OS makes the propagation of worms/trojans significantly more difficult.

Best of luck!!
Chris

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kaufhof
(experienced) Fri 06-Jan-12 19:43:18
Print Post

[re: notleyc] [link to this post]

As a user of Mint, I agree with all of that and find I feel more in control of the Linux OS than I feel of Windows (XP in my case). The main thing, as hinted at by Chris, is that I can make a mess of the whole thing and know I can re-install without any problem. Of course, that has never happened yet but I have no fear of it.

I am not at the same stage of life as Chris' grandmother - but getting very close. I can even feel a bit superior to school leavers in that (in the UK), they have learned how to use Windows but don't know what I'm talking about when I try to encourage them to give Linux a try

Trevor

BTBroadband Option 1 - Speed: Up to 8Mbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to