Technical Discussion
  >> Linux Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Oct-13 11:05:48
Print Post

Re: Suitable PC?

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Yes, I sort of got that impression, especially after some browsing around to get a feel for other opinions.

I tried Adrian's suggestion of Mint Debian as the 64-bit version was supposed to be OK in 1GB, it seemed to install OK but some applications (Firefox and Thunderbird at least) wouldn't start, wouldn't re-install and Opera wouldn't install either... these days, a computer without a browser is a doorstop crazy

It didn't seem to like the network card either- when I tried to set a static IP it dropped the connection and refused to pick it up again, some error about "unmanaged device" iirc mad

It also reminded me of Windows somehow, so back to Ubuntu, 64-bit this time. It's not overly happy in 1GB, but it (99%) recognises the hardware and at least everything works (so far), even if rather slowly.

I'm not that keen on it though... I'm beginning to think that I might be best waiting until the credit card stops trembling after the last couple of months (don't ask tongue) and get a more recent machine. Then I can try out the various flavours (including xubuntu, thanks for the suggestion) without wondering whether it's the OS or the hardware that's getting in the way.

And if I decide Linux isn't for me after all, I'll see if I can turn it into a Hackintosh smile

Once you get the distro and look you want, you will love Linux. I am sorry that the Debian version of mint did not work out for you, you could try the ubuntu based one, it should work with all the hardware that Ubuntu works with.
The thing people have to realise with Linux is that it is not supported by the big corporations, so you are not going to get your photoshop, premier or quark, but there is some good software out there Libre office and Kingsoft now for office suites. Scribus is a great for DTP. Browser wise, a good choice, firefox, opera and chrome, plus some others. Gimp is really good, in fact the friend that owns the Macs is a graphic designer and uses gimp more so than photoshop these days.

I hope you keep with linux, I am in the process of going from windows to Linux, still have to use windows because of video editing.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 22-Oct-13 07:14:32
Print Post

Thanks for all the help folks, it's much appreciated.

For various reasons I'm not going to do anything definite until the New Year, in the meantime I've been given plenty of ideas to follow up smile

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Oct-13 23:01:18
Print Post

Why not give Windows 8.1 a go? laugh

Zen 8000 Pro

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 22-Oct-13 23:03:30
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Why not give Windows 8.1 a go? laugh
Because I prefer to retain what little bit of sanity I have left tongue

Bill

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Oct-13 23:30:01
Print Post

Windows 8.1 is the most fluent and intuitive OS going. If you are a competent IT user (which you are) there are absolutely tons and tons of features, short cuts, etc, etc to enable you to do almost any task on your PC involving the GUI in the fastest way. It's built for keyboard, mouse, and touch.

Admittedly, this takes a little bit of learning, but it rewards itself many times over.

Give it a go anyway, even if just for a bit of fun before you install a Linux flavour.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Tue 22-Oct-13 23:34:44)

Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 23-Oct-13 07:06:26
Print Post

Give it a go anyway, even if just for a bit of fun before you install a Linux flavour.
I'll give it some consideration... if you can point me to a legal source that costs the same as a Linux or Mavericks installation...

Bill

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Oct-13 09:10:43
Print Post

Windows 8.1 is the most fluent and intuitive OS going. If you are a competent IT user (which you are) there are absolutely tons and tons of features, short cuts, etc, etc to enable you to do almost any task on your PC involving the GUI in the fastest way. It's built for keyboard, mouse, and touch.

Admittedly, this takes a little bit of learning, but it rewards itself many times over.

It is built for touch, but you can use the keyboard and mouse, the main updates for 8.1 is the modern UI, the only reason Ms stuck a start button is because they are a little worried and all they done is stuck a start button on, it still links to the horrid Ui.

Windows 8.1 still got the dreaded charms bars flying out at you when ever you get too close to the corners. the other problem with windows 8.1 is the integration of skydrive. it is horrid, to use skydrive on 8.1, you got to have your computer connected to a Microsoft account all the time. At least with windows 8, you could use a little app to do it and stay in local account. Not that I use sky drive. But I have updated a couple of machines over the last 3 days and both machine owners do not like what MS have done with Sky drive integration and they use sky drive a lot.

The other problem is 8.1 seems to not be as speedy as windows 8, somehow MS have slowed it down, in booting up and general usage.

I think I will keep my windows as version 8.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Oct-13 12:38:21
Print Post

Sorry I can't do that... but personally I don't mind paying for something as long as its good value.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 23-Oct-13 12:49:57
Print Post

Neither do I, but I'm not paying full price to evaluate something which might get wiped after a week or so.

Bill

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Oct-13 14:17:34
Print Post

You can install a 30 day trial or something... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/hh6991...

Zen 8000 Pro
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to