Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Oct-20 22:01:25
Print Post

Might try a Mac next time

[link to this post]

I am getting fed up with the hassle windows bring with updates and while I will not get rid of my Windows machine, I do not think I will update it again.
i have been looking at Macs, ok this will not be until the middle of next year if I decide to do this, I did think about a Mac mini, but the built-in Graphics are a bit iffy. I had a quick look at the Imac 27 inch machine with a Radeon Pro 5300 in, But at £1,800 for a I5 machine it seems a lot of money for the hardware.

By the time I go for this, maybe Apple will be making their own processors.
Do people think it is better to wait anyway to see what the new Apple silicon is like?

I could get one now if I really wanted to, but I want to sort a few things out first in the house. If I did get one I think it would certainly be the last machine I would ever buy

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User TinyMongomery
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Oct-20 09:18:27
Print Post

Re: Might try a Mac next time

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I am getting fed up with the hassle windows bring with updates and while I will not get rid of my Windows machine, I do not think I will update it again.
Don't imagine for one minute that Macs don't have problems with updates. Truth is that I've never had any problems with updates on either my Windows or Mac computers, though many do report problems with OS X updates. The golden rule is to wait for the .1 or .2 version of any upgrade. The nicest thing about my Mac Mini is how quiet it is; but, as you say, the graphics performance leaves a lot to be desired. You can (at a price) add an external graphics card.
Do people think it is better to wait anyway to see what the new Apple silicon is like?
I certainly wouldn't buy a new Mac until the new hardware comes out (rumours are it's due within the next month or so), and then I'd wait for the second iteration.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Fri 23-Oct-20 13:13:18
Print Post

Do people think it is better to wait anyway to see what the new Apple silicon is like?[/quote

They have been making their own Silicon for a while... see iPhones...

[quote] I could get one now if I really wanted to, but I want to sort a few things out first in the house. If I did get one I think it would certainly be the last machine I would ever buy

That sort of thinking won’t get you anywhere... just stfw for quotes by people who thought you only needed 5 computers in the world or only 128MB of memory &c. (Of course I don’t know how old you are πŸ˜΅πŸ™„)

I’ve still got 2 Mac Minis... like them both... no problems with graphics but am not big gamer/ photographer ...

While it’s true you can find people who have had issues with Apple, I can say as a user of both... (Mac exclusively at home- PC at work) I have much less grief with Macs.

A

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
BT Infinity ~37Mbps at mo smile
BT HomeHub v5
i7Mac Mini (Yosemite), DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Snow Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): G3 PB (no screen), MacBook (
Yosemite), iPhone5s, iPad3,4,Air
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Oct-20 13:33:01
Print Post

I've got 3 Minis (as well as a number of PCs) and I love them too. But it's a fact that the 15-year old one is now essentially useless. A new computer bought now is unlikely to be the OP's last one!

In life, there is always someone out there, who won’t like you, for whatever reason, don’t let the insecurities in their lives affect yours.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Oct-20 16:32:56
Print Post

I only ever had one major issue with an OSX/MacOS update and that was biggee - had I been updating an existing machine it would have been disastrous for my email library. But that's once in 20 years, and Apple seems to be taking more time than usual for its next release.

By next year there should be a decent selection of Apple Silicon SoCs (they are not just ARM processors rebranded, but SoCs). You should definitely go down that route. You will likely get much more bang for you buck.

It is worth noting that Apple does not care much about techie benchmarks: their metric is performance in use.

One thing you should definitely have in mind is that Apple does not believe in cruft - it philosophy is essentially "We are moving forward. You are free to stay behind, but after three generations you are vintage". In practice, Apple Stores will always try to help you out, but you won't be able to count of software updates. When Big Sur comes out I imagine that support for Mojave will end.

That said, my 2013 MacBook Pro runs High Sierra with zero issues and would run Catalina and Big Sur if it was my main machine (I keep it on High Sierra for 32-bit app support, and got a new machine only because after 7 years it was finally starting to struggle a bit with Photoshop). It is still in full working order, but some integration with my iPhone got lost.

It is not yet clear whether RAM in iMacs will still be upgradable (and if it is get it from Crucial, not Apple!), but also not clear that this will an issue when you look at Apple SoCs on phones and iPads.

I would be minded to wait for the Apple Silicon landscape to clarify, and for any issue with the new MacOS to have been sorted.

Standard User neo_wales
(regular) Fri 23-Oct-20 19:32:18
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

I don't get upgrade problems and I'm running multiple W10 machines.

The OP seems to be unlucky with his Windows upgrades and getting problems.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 main PC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Oct-20 20:13:24
Print Post

[re: nonymouse] [link to this post]

I am 56. I thought if i am going to pay over a grand for a machine then I want it to last for a long time and the thing with a Mac they are not the sort of machine you can just update like desktop.

I do video editing and i have seen videos of people trying to edit with mac mins and things have not gone so well dues to the measly intel built in graphics.

I know a few people who have Macs, and they all seem to have fewer problems than people with a windows based machine.
they do have problems, one of them had an Imac that kept crashing with Logic pro, found out in the end it was lack of memory, thankfully it was easy enough to solve. Another has a Mac Pro, the dustbin one, and she dropped it, so she took it to a Apple Store, and they sorted it out, just a video card came ajar, so her fault and the last one was last week,, where a mate of mine updated his Mac Air to the latest version of Mac OS and his old version of Office would not work, turns out that Apple is not supporting 32 bit software now.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 23-Oct-20 20:18:45
Print Post

There are a few things I am not fond of with Macs, the wall garden approach where everything is linked to an Apple ID, that is the way Windows is going and I hate it on there, but so far I have been able to get away with not having a MS account.
The price that Macs cost considering that you can get better specs machines with Windows for less cost. The lack of expandability.

I will have to see what the new Macs will be like when they change the processor. I like the Imacs, the all in one system, no cables, Will need a decent keyboard for it and a decent mouse.

Thanks peeps anyway, it will give something to think about.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Oct-20 12:44:53
Print Post

I am not fond of with Macs, the wall garden approach where everything is linked to an Apple ID
Macs dn't do that.You do not have to use nay Mac software or App Store software of you don't want to. Logging in withe the AppleID gives you some more choices. I can think of no sensible reasons not to do so,
can get better specs machines with Windows for less cost
As I said, Apple only care about experience in use, not spec willy waving. A 7 year oldl machne (with Intell graphics) running photoshop for example.

I uswe the Apple keyboatd with keypad and it is fine.

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Oct-20 16:46:06
Print Post

I've recently migrated two clients from Windows 10 PCs to Macs - three computers in all. They all said they won't be going back to Windows because the machines, mostly due to the operating system, are just so much nicer to use. The display on the 27" iMac is just stunning and replicating that quality with a separate monitor costs a fair amount on top of the PC.

You can also choose whether or not to install updates so you can wait to see if there are problems with a particular update before downloading it. Given that the Apple hardware is more standardized, there are likely to be far fewer issues than with Windows machines.

There's also nothing on Windows that comes close to Apple's Time Machine backup software which is included for free.

If you're not in a hurry, you could hang on until Apple gets its own silicon but there's no way of knowing how that will affect the price.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 24-Oct-20 21:27:19
Print Post

I bought my 21’ iMac 7 years ago after getting dogged off with Windows machines proving irksome.

Still got it, still works a treat, hassle free. Would never go back.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-20 08:37:01
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

Thanks peeps, again. My computer have just crashed again with a Blue screen of death, win32kfull.sys. Not that it is very blue these days.

It will be a while before I do anything, need to put some more money into the bank been spending a fair bit over the last few months. so that will give me time to sort things out.

time machine is amazing, I have seen it in action and make Macrium reflect look useless and yet it is a pretty useful bit of kit.

The monitor I have is pretty good, but then it did cost me £300 so it should be, yes I know there are monitors that cost a lot more. if I went for a Mac, I would like to use it as a second monitor, but Macs uses thunderbolt, so I am not sure if it would be possible.

As you said Macs hardware is more standardised and that is why the OS is more reliable, I know some of my hardware is getting on, my sopund card for a start and maybe I could remove it and just use the built-in sound, my Scanner is ancient, but it does what I need and for the amount of time I use it, I really do not want to pay out for a new one.

My niggle is that I have software on my computer that I have paid a fair bit for and I would lose the use of them unless the providers give me a discount on MAc versions.

Not that I have the time now as i am going out to put a card reader into my brothers computer, but when I get back I may do a clean install and not bother with software to stop stuff I do not like, apart from the start menu, I am still getting rid of that.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User neo_wales
(regular) Sun 25-Oct-20 13:08:50
Print Post

Sounds like a driver issue.

IMHO it does not pay to mix old and new hardware, the closer the 'match' the better your user experience will be.

To be honest I've not used a dedicated sound card for a few years, the onboard are so good these days there is no need so I'd take out your old soundcard and get rid off related files on the system.

Your scanner is old, get shot of it, yes it may work but for the sake of £50 (minus your staff discount) you have a modern scanner more than likely with a smaller footprint than your old one and more than likely a better scan quality https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7614860?clickSR=slp:...

Here is a radical idea for you, take out the sound card, buy the new scanner, do a clean install of W10 WITHOUT peeing about blocking this that and the other, run it for a month and see if you have any problems at all with your PC...I doubt you will.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 main PC
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-20 13:27:58
Print Post

[re: neo_wales] [link to this post]

I'd agree 100% with that. The main difference between a PC running Windows and a Mac running OS X is that the former gives you more chances to screw up by allowing a wider selection of hardware and software. OS X is very prescriptive about what you can run - latest example is that people are having problems with HP printers.

If you stick with the Apple ecosystem then you won't have problems, but anything out of the norm is a potential problem. Or, you could say a plague on both your houses and go with Linux.

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-20 17:11:22
Print Post

The monitor I have is pretty good, but then it did cost me £300 so it should be, yes I know there are monitors that cost a lot more. if I went for a Mac, I would like to use it as a second monitor, but Macs uses thunderbolt, so I am not sure if it would be possible.
Dead easy using a Thunderbolt to HDMI/DVI/VGA adapter. I use one with my MacBook Pro and also have two monitors hooked up to my Mac mini. You can get an adapter for about £15 on Amazon so it's not an expensive fix.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-20 17:51:43
Print Post

You could install Parallels and use it to set up a Windows 10 virtual machine. You can then put your Windows software on the Mac and use it normally. I do this on my MacBook Pro. I have Windows 7 Professional happily running for one or two programmes there isn't a Mac equivalent for. In coherence mode your Windows programmes run alongside Apple software within the same desktop; et voilà.

With Parallels you can take a snapshot of your Windows virtual machine before updates and roll back quickly if everything goes 🍐or πŸ’© shaped. You can also optimize snapshots to work with Time Machine. You can see all about snapshots here.

Sarah

--

Standard User neo_wales
(regular) Sun 25-Oct-20 17:57:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
You could install Parallels and use it to set up a Windows 10 virtual machine. You can then put your Windows software on the Mac and use it normally. I do this on my MacBook Pro. I have Windows 7 Professional happily running for one or two programmes there isn't a Mac equivalent for. In coherence mode your Windows programmes run alongside Apple software within the same desktop; et voilà.

With Parallels you can take a snapshot of your Windows virtual machine before updates and roll back quickly if everything goes 🍐or πŸ’© shaped. You can also optimize snapshots to work with Time Machine. You can see all about snapshots here.

Or you could remove problem hardware/drivers, set up W10 fully, not mess about removing bits of it as the OP does and have a happy computing experience.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i9 main PC
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-20 19:22:38
Print Post

I think the OP is into video editing. A parallels machine wouldn't really be good for this. It would be a question of converting to Mac software I think. I don't think he's a gamer - if he were it would be a different ball game.

I run OS X for general use, Windows for games (try running FS 2020 on a Mac!) and Linux for development work. No OS is best for all purposes.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-20 20:23:41
Print Post

Dead easy using a Thunderbolt to HDMI/DVI/VGA adapter. I use one with my MacBook Pro and also have two monitors hooked up to my Mac mini. You can get an adapter for about £15 on Amazon so it's not an expensive fix.

i did not realise that was possible, but just had a look and yes also get then to display port, so that is a good things, thanks.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-Oct-20 20:28:54
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
I think the OP is into video editing. A parallels machine wouldn't really be good for this. It would be a question of converting to Mac software I think. I don't think he's a gamer - if he were it would be a different ball game.

I run OS X for general use, Windows for games (try running FS 2020 on a Mac!) and Linux for development work. No OS is best for all purposes.

video editing software is fine, I would change to Mac software, what i use most for video editing these days is free software, like Davinci resolve, but I would love to move to final cut if i went Mac, the problem is you are looking at £300, but it is flipping good.

Not really into Games, i have a few and one of the reason why I will keep the P.C, the other software is the Affinity suite.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Oct-20 01:30:10
Print Post

For occasional use iMovie is perfectly adequate (although its workflow is a bit eccentric). But it is free.

Standard User s_h
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Oct-20 11:42:49
Print Post

If you're not in a hurry, you could hang on until Apple gets its own silicon but there's no way of knowing how that will affect the price.
Looking around at the options for a new iMac, in the near future, to replace a 2011 one, I have had a brief look at what's likely to be happening with Apple's possible new release/design (in November ?); but also re: the price, wondering if there could be a Brexit impact on this, from 1st January, either due to a fall in the £ or something else - would that be plausible, or an irrelevance?

I would be glad of views from anyone on the most useful non-specialist source of advice on what to expect when, from Apple.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Oct-20 12:34:29
Print Post

[re: s_h] [link to this post]

I would guess that any brexit effect will hit all tech, not just Apple.

macrumors.com and appleworld.today (formerly TUAW) are probably the best to keep an eye on.

Standard User s_h
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Oct-20 12:50:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian_c:
I would guess that any brexit effect will hit all tech, not just Apple.
The problem is that if there is a real chance of a brexit price rise then it could happen soon after the release of a new iMac this autumn. Many unknowns and I should make a decision soon.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Oct-20 13:00:46
Print Post

If there is a Brexit deal then it is probably the pound will get stronger and prices go down.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Oct-20 13:03:06
Print Post

I very much doubt that there will be a new iMac this autumn. They were updated only a couple of months ago. But I think your general point about price rises is a given.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Oct-20 13:04:32
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I'd say that you are being hopelessly optimistic on two fronts.

Standard User s_h
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Oct-20 13:33:03
Print Post

I very much doubt that there will be a new iMac this autumn. They were updated only a couple of months ago.
Reading MacRumours a few days ago, I was thinking of this one:

Upcoming Apple Products Guide: Everything We Expect to See in 2020 and Beyond - MacRumors
October 23, 2020
. . .
Refreshed iMac - Apple refreshed the 27-inch iMac in August, but there are still rumors of a 23 to 24-inch iMac with "iPad Pro design language" and thinner bezels similar to the bezels on the Pro Display XDR, which could come in late 2020 or early 2021. This iMac is also expected to have an Apple Silicon chip and an Apple-designed GPU.
there seem to be rumours around that the standard iMac design of the past 10 years will be replaced, but maybe there are always rumour like this ... I only look into it when I need to consider it.

I don't want one as large as the 27"

Edited by s_h (Mon 26-Oct-20 13:51:10)

Standard User nonamer
(newbie) Mon 26-Oct-20 21:52:20
Print Post

I have been using mac for years now and i could say that i have never had any problems until now. I think it depends on what you do... If you would need certain features, then, maybe you could wait and check.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Oct-20 02:40:01
Print Post

I'd be willing to bet that the smaller iMacs will be silently refreshed (is no fanfare, and with Intel chips) at around the same time the first Apple Silicon Macs (most likely a MacBook of some sort) are let loose.

It's possible Apple will want to do a big surprise reveal, but the company is a lot more risk averse than most people suppose.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Oct-20 08:39:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian_c:
For occasional use iMovie is perfectly adequate (although its workflow is a bit eccentric). But it is free.

I remember a mate of mine trying Imovie on a mac and got the beach ball of death smile that was a very long time ago.,
Too basic, but thanks

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Oct-20 08:44:56
Print Post

[re: nonamer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nonamer:
I have been using mac for years now and i could say that i have never had any problems until now. I think it depends on what you do... If you would need certain features, then, maybe you could wait and check.

What do you mean until now?

I know someone with six macs and the only problem she had was when she dropped her pro. I even took her old imac apart to replace the hard drive, that was fun, not.
This is what kind of pulling me back from the Mac. The modern Imacs and mac mini it is even more difficult if not impossible to update them, ok I know Imacs have the flap at the back now for memory, but if you need a bigger hard drive you are stumped and Apple charge a lot for larger storage.

I have to have a long think as i said I am in no rush.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Oct-20 20:18:38
Print Post

I know someone with six macs and the only problem she had was when she dropped her pro.
I can also confirm that MacBook Pros don't like coffee being poured in them.

Don't ask me how I know this β˜•οΈπŸ’»

Sarah

--

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Oct-20 20:27:51
Print Post

I'm surprised you don't take more care of your coffee rather than wasting it washing keyboards.

Standard User caffn8me
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Oct-20 21:45:16
Print Post

I'm surprised you don't take more care of your coffee rather than wasting it washing keyboards.
It wasn't from my more expensive coffee reserves but upsetting nonetheless.

Sarah

--

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Oct-20 08:47:34
Print Post

I know someone with six macs and the only problem she had was when she dropped her pro.
I can also confirm that MacBook Pros don't like coffee being poured in them.

Don't ask me how I know this β˜•οΈπŸ’»

Ouch, but then not many machines do not like coffee being poured on them, I had to replace a keyboard on a mates laptop a few years back as he did the same thing, thankfully it did not get inside the machine.,
I bet replacing the keyboard on a Macbook would not be as easy, saying that I think most laptops are like it now.

Also a waste of good coffee, then again my mate used to have instant coffee, but normally good instant coffee

I sorted out why my machine was crashing, I think, somehow the memory settings had change in the bios, well the thing that have replaced the bios, it was trying to run the memory at a speed it is not made for and the timings were all out. So I reset them and so far, no blue screen of death.

Still thinking about a Mac, but I need to look at the pros and cons. I was on the verge of getting one before I updated this machine the last time. While I am in no rush to update, i decided that if I do update this machine it will be to a Ryzen R9.

I will wait and see what Apple brings out next year and how it is received by the Apple community

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Nov-20 11:30:30
Print Post

You may have seen it already but Apple have announced an event on 10 November at 10AM EST and the leaks say it will be to launch new laptops (pro and air) using the new Apple processors.
Standard User kebabselector
(committed) Mon 09-Nov-20 09:07:43
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Just to add to this point, I would probably wait based on tomorrow's announcement. Rumours point to the initial devices on Apple Silicon will be either a 12",13" or 16" MacBook (or Pro variant). I think they said they whole line will transition to their own chips in the next 2 years. The last time (from PowerPC to Intel) they did this it was done in a year.

Zen 2x services:
Line 1 (B26) 75mb down - 19mb up (Fibre 2)
Line 2 (TQ5) 39.9mb down - 9.9mb up (Fibre 1)
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-20 10:11:20
Print Post

[re: kebabselector] [link to this post]

they did this it was done in a year.
But they said ot would take two.

Apple is prety good at expectation management.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to