General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 17-Nov-10 09:58:59
Print Post

Re: How "Always On" can a Mobile Broadband connection be?

[re: simoneves] [link to this post]

My own fixed "mobile broadband" has been permanently on for the past 18 months!

I work from home out in sticks amongst the Lancashire hills and opted for a mobile broadband service since BT wanted to charge in the order of £2,000 to run a line plus poles and even then wouldn't be able to offer more 05-1Mbps!

Three is my service provider.

The installation consists of a carefully aligned loft mounted panel antenna pointing down the valley to a mast just over four miles away, which feeds an E122 dongle connected to a D100 router hard wired via Ethernet to the office computers and providing a WiFi connection for the rest of the house.

I get a near consistent 5.5 - 6 Mbps download connection and 1.59 Mbps upstream (the latter being the maximum the Three network supports currently.

Since part of my work is news related and I frequently have need to appear in camera at the drop of a hat, I've used this installation very many times to feed in to the likes of the BBC, CNN and Al Jazeera using Skype.

Incidentally, the entire business operation here runs on cellular only connections and I've also installed a similarly arranged antenna and 3G/GSM booster for 02 which gives perfect phone reception in the house, office and grounds.

The above offered to show that with some ingenuity and a minimal cash outlay, even the most difficult operational conditions can be overcome.

Incidentally, my data and voice communication costs rarely exceed £70 a month.
Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Wed 17-Nov-10 10:34:07
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

the use in the uk of a non approved 3g/gsm booster is against uk law wireless telegraphy act a good job you posted as an annon. O2 has no approved devices.

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now part of plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT)
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 17-Nov-10 23:49:52
Print Post

[re: adamtemp] [link to this post]

My Orange BB (it's a dial up, to be honest) was OKish for a past year, but over the last month it's been all but unusable. Although I have good 3G signal, it immediately drops to GPRS, at even that at no more the 5Kb/s ! If it stays connected for more then 5 mins I am feeling very lucky !
Just downloading emails can take half a dozen attemots and 45 mins !!!
And it;'s the same even at 3 or 4 a.m. ....
[censored] is going on ?
Regards,
Martin

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bosie
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Nov-10 07:04:34
Print Post

I'm all for breaking the law on this. If we wait for authorities to legislate we will have a disadvantage to the rest of the world and also inhibit our freedom to live and work where we choose. Sometimes we need to force change when those in charge are letting us down (I'm thinking about the slow roll out of better technology in this country). Of course breaking the law also means facing the consequences if caught.

bosie
Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Thu 18-Nov-10 08:29:40
Print Post

Link to relevant ofcom info http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/spectru...

Cellular enhancers / boosters / repeaters
In the UK the use of any radio transmitting device is required to be either licensed or specifically exempted from licensing under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006 (WT Act 2006). For mobile telephones, the use of the spectrum by the network operators is licensed to cover the use of transmitters and repeaters, while user devices (i.e. handsets) are covered by a general exemption.

Repeater devices transmit or re-transmit in the cellular frequency bands. Only the mobile network operators are licensed to use equipment that transmits in these bands. Installation or use of repeater devices by anyone without a licence is a criminal offence under Section 8 of the WT Act 2006. Any person found guilty of installing or using such devices without a licence would be liable on conviction to a fine of up to £5000 and/or up to 51 weeks’ imprisonment (Six months in Scotland and Northern Ireland)

Anyone wishing to improve coverage in a particular area is advised to contact their network provider.

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now part of plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT)
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 19-Nov-10 07:34:35
Print Post

Adam.

Regulation is one thing but operational requirement is quite another.

I could switch the thing off and dangle precariously from the top of the tree at the bottom of the garden to get a signal, but I've no doubt you'd quote Health & Safety legislation at me as well.

Word to the wise OM.

GET A LIFE!
Standard User MarkHampshire
(experienced) Fri 19-Nov-10 07:49:13
Print Post

How the devil do you get 5 to 6Mbps downstream smile

On the legalities, people are often advise to rewire their phone lines even though this might breach BT's terms and render them liable to prosecution for tampering. BT say "it's OK for voice" - so, that's fine then.

Do you get HSPA? We have HSPDA @ 2.8Mbps and I reckon I could get this to near 3.6Mbps with a dedicated router and antenna on the "correct" side of the house.

3G radio waves over oxygen seem to offer better broadband conductivity than phone lines over similar distances, I'm not at all surprised by that.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Fri 19-Nov-10 08:05:34
Print Post

If you have nothing to hide post your name.

My advise is do not break the law.

Note to Board owners please delete the annon post encouraging others to breach uk law.

P.s. I posted the comment about wta as advise to others of the possible risk.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 19-Nov-10 08:26:47
Print Post

[re: MarkHampshire] [link to this post]

Mark,

Came as something of a surprise to me initially as well!

I'm using a 10dB flat panel antenna aligned very carefully with a mast some way down the valley. The dongle and router are mounted on the antenna bracket and connected with as short a lead as possible to minimise any loss. Ethernet runs from the router to the office computers and the Wifi covers the rest of the house.

Speed varies only slightly and generally hovers between 5.25 Mbps - 5.75 Mbs,

I obtained the precise geographic coordinates for the Three mast and used a GPS fix of my own coordinates to accurately align the antenna with the mast.

Hope that helps.

CHRIS
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 19-Nov-10 08:37:53
Print Post

Adam,

Perhaps you should read my posts more carefully.

My posts merely discussed my solution to various communication difficulties and at no time have encouraged anyone else to follow suit or break the law.

As a professional writer of some thirty years standing, I know about the law in such matters and you can absolutely guarantee I'm on the right side of it in respect to encouragement blah blah

There is such a thing as the right to free speech in this country and this allows me to comment on any topic I so choose to comment on.

If you don't like it, you don't have to read it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to