General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 09-Dec-10 16:19:18
Print Post

Re: How "Always On" can a Mobile Broadband connection be?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

@rustianimal... interesting your point about 3G devices being randomly assigned possibly dodgy IPs.

I am currently in Singapore on business, and I got a local StarHub SIM for my jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 4. For several days, I could not send e-mail from the phone to my wife, as it would always be bounced back to me as spam. Turns out the underlying IP (not the NAT'd one my phone actually got) was hugely black-listed, and because Google was tagging my sent e-mails with both IPs, my own domain ISP was rejecting the e-mails.
Standard User Ashwini
(newbie) Sun 12-Dec-10 19:29:52
Print Post

That is a major concern using dynamic IPs these days. More and more spams are generated using those IPs getting blacklisted quite often.
Coming back to the point with mobile broadband, you can achieve it with the help of router/modem or so but it can't be cent percent always on.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 21-Jan-11 22:05:03
Print Post

[re: adamtemp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adamtemp:
If you have nothing to hide post your name.

My advise is do not break the law.

Note to Board owners please delete the annon post encouraging others to breach uk law.

P.s. I posted the comment about wta as advise to others of the possible risk.

Some people really think their sh*t doesn't stink!!
Christ, how much harm do you think he's causing out in the middle of nowhere? Anon is managing to be employed and from the sounds of it, employe others too, so lighten up.
I've just bought a house miles from anywhere and I'll be buying a 3G repeaters to boost the signal in my grounds.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 29smith
(newbie) Sat 22-Jan-11 09:38:38
Print Post

Always On can a Mobile Broadband connection be? *DELETED*

Post deleted by billford
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 25-Aug-11 16:03:32
Print Post

Re: Always On can a Mobile Broadband connection be? *DELETED

[re: 29smith] [link to this post]

Hello "anonymous", I have read this exchange with interest ...

- If I have read it correctly, you may not have "broken the law" at all; you have simply added a directional antenna to an existing piece of "legal" hardware without modification?

- if so you may be "legal" as you are still "transmitting" the same amount of power; that is your "box" has no knowledge of its antenna so carries on as if you still had the original whip (?) antenna attached.

What your new antenna does for you is to focusing most of that transmited power onto the tower and decreases the aperature of your receiver's "visibility" to a circular locality closer to the tower, thereby increasing its sensitivity.

What matters is your Effective Radiated Power - look it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_radiated_power

As the OFcom spec does not give ERP (or gain over EIRP) only a power out of the transmit section of the "mobile" (maximum permissable is 2W for a Class 1 device and 250mW for a class 2 device) it becomes difficult to decide if changing the antenna will constitute "breaking the law". It will all depend on the efficencies in the system and the class of the system you are altering the antenna on; for example if you are using a class 2 device (probable) and you use an antenna with 10dB gain over isotropic (ie something like a 4 or 6 element "yagi") then you are probably still "within the law" as you are now only radiating the same power as a class 1 device. Interestingly, you will have increased the range of both the transmission distance and reception distance of your class 2 device by a factor of about three times, which, from your description of what you have done, sounds about right?

Cheers SimonH.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to