General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Aug-13 15:56:13
Print Post

Re: EE 4G PAYG Mobile Broadband

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Can you return it?
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Aug-13 16:02:00
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Not sure. I've used some of it (few MB) I will certainly ask.

I've asked. I never thought you look on ebay they are on there for £20. now £20 for 6GB of 4G if you get the speed is a decent bargain - free delivery too

There a guy in Manchester on the EE forums whining as he is only getting 88 down and 44 up.

WTH.. lol

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 26-Aug-13 16:18:44)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Aug-13 19:13:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
LTE isn't as amazing as everyone made it out.

Its the underneath restructure of the network that is the big change. It should hopefully (in 10 years!) give a much fairer distribution of capability. So essentially everyone in an area getting 10megabit rather than 1 person getting 15meg and the rest 1meg as we get on 3G today.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Aug-13 20:37:00
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
LTE isn't as amazing as everyone made it out.

Its the underneath restructure of the network that is the big change. It should hopefully (in 10 years!) give a much fairer distribution of capability. So essentially everyone in an area getting 10megabit rather than 1 person getting 15meg and the rest 1meg as we get on 3G today.

Well I've just been told on the EE forums by people I assume thinking they are helping that there is no guarantee of 4G and I shouldn't get excited!

it was sold as 4G the checker said I could get 4G and so I expect 4G!

ASA/Oftel here we come!
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Aug-13 22:33:03
Print Post

I'll use up the data if I can and then never make this mistake again. I should have learned last time but at least when it''s used up I can just throw it away and forget about it. I guess the beauty of having an unlocked Ipad is I can try all the networks when they off sims and see which one does the best.

As the night gets on, it gets worse.

http://prntscr.com/1nlf2p

I wanted a laugh.. So I tried their 3G

http://prntscr.com/1nlgdo

<sighs>

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 26-Aug-13 22:34:49)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Aug-13 22:53:23
Print Post

Oh my lordy!! That's crazy, where are you? I found LTE was virtually always 20Mbps or greater but in city centres it was around your speed. I've never had a 3G speedtest that low on EE, it's virtually always 4Mbps+ apart from in the city centre at peak times.

I'd be extremely disappointed like you!!
The issue is likely to be that, as the 3G mast speedtest is so low, the area probably has loads of customers using 3G data quite heavily. This is likely to mean the 4G mast (assuming they share the same backhaul) is being affected by the 3G sites heavy usage. I think EE has a lot of upgrades to do with their backhaul. I guess it's only £60 and if you use the iPad out and about I'm sure the speeds will improve significantly in other areas.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Aug-13 22:57:36
Print Post

Oh my lordy!! That's crazy, where are you? I found LTE was virtually always 20Mbps or greater but in city centres it was around your speed. I've never had a 3G speedtest that low on EE, it's virtually always 4Mbps+ apart from in the city centre at peak times.

On older phones/SIMs you still get the choices of T-Mobile or Orange, and I've seen low speeds such as that on Orange connections (234-33) but MUCH faster on T-Mobile (234-30). I read in PCPro that this autumn/winter EE are planning on switching off the former Orange network code (234-33) so everyone will use the former T-Mobile (234-30).

I assume the MBNL backbone that 3 and T-Mobile jointly built is better than the former France Telecom owned Orange network.

The only partial explanation for the ultra slow LTE is that only one cell site in your area has been upgraded so far and its struggling under the load frown

Don't forget your iPad will only support 1800mhz LTE, so if you want O2 or Voda you'll need a MiFi device or similar that supports 800mhz/2600mhz frequencies. Three should launch with 1800 and 800 support when they eventually do :-/

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 26-Aug-13 23:01:44
Print Post

Here's some of my LTE speedtests in London and Sheffield

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/617402957
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/617396680
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/617389381

That's all I have on here currently. The fastest ones at kings cross London.
I had one much faster on my ipad

So same really it's a mixed bag, some fast some slow.

One LTE mast can easily cover an entire town as it can probably go upto 4 miles in every direction. So they are easily at capacity until others come along. Hence slow speeds...

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 26-Aug-13 23:08:07)

(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Aug-13 23:08:47
Print Post

I'd be extremely disappointed like you!!
The issue is likely to be that, as the 3G mast speedtest is so low, the area probably has loads of customers using 3G data quite heavily. This is likely to mean the 4G mast (assuming they share the same backhaul) is being affected by the 3G sites heavy usage. I think EE has a lot of upgrades to do with their backhaul. I guess it's only £60 and if you use the iPad out and about I'm sure the speeds will improve significantly in other areas.

I paid £30 - not £60 tongue

I in Newport In Wales. I am going to Bristol tomorrow someone tells me they can get 60mbps down in the centre. Ofcourse I am told the double speed is only pay monthly but who would want this!?

Will see what the other networks come up with in the next few weeks. EE might even up their game.
(knowledge is power) Mon 26-Aug-13 23:11:07
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:

On older phones/SIMs you still get the choices of T-Mobile or Orange, and I've seen low speeds such as that on Orange connections (234-33) but MUCH faster on T-Mobile (234-30). I read in PCPro that this autumn/winter EE are planning on switching off the former Orange network code (234-33) so everyone will use the former T-Mobile (234-30).

I assume the MBNL backbone that 3 and T-Mobile jointly built is better than the former France Telecom owned Orange network.

The only partial explanation for the ultra slow LTE is that only one cell site in your area has been upgraded so far and its struggling under the load frown

Don't forget your iPad will only support 1800mhz LTE, so if you want O2 or Voda you'll need a MiFi device or similar that supports 800mhz/2600mhz frequencies. Three should launch with 1800 and 800 support when they eventually do :-/

Oh yes. Thanks for the heads up on the frequencies. I forgot about that.

I'll wait for 3. I just know their 4G will be the best they are taking their time and seeing how the others play out. They have their network in place also. It won't be long before it's turned on with O2 and Voda launching soon.

I'm saving for an S4 - which will cover all the frequencies according to the tech guff.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to