General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Aug-13 14:30:09
Print Post

Re: EE 4G PAYG Mobile Broadband

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Just an update. EE tell me there is nothing wrong with the signal in my area or the transmitter.

So here's my service at 4:12am

http://prntscr.com/1o3sbm

Indeed. nothing wrong there.. :/

I got a screengrab about 1/2 a mile down the road at 2:02PM that day.

http://prntscr.com/1o3she

To compare that I just did one home at 2:20 and got 4.95 down.

So EE have basically said we don't care go elsewhere. I hear them!.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Aug-13 14:38:12
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

There's nothing wrong as such, it's just that the local transmitter is probably under more load.

Also some masts are linked via microwaves and also until more 4G masts are built in areas we are nearing capacity very quickly.

The operators will have only LTE enabled the major macrocell towers.

Overtime more macrocell towers will become LTE enabled, as well as some micro cell towers. More LTE towers will get fibre upgrades. Some older masts are being used to repeat wirelessly the 4G service where they don't really meet spec (so this will be upgraded too).

The larger sites are often orange sites which historically are linked to backhaul quite badly but these are upgraded due to the coverage they give. So often they're pumping out LTE before backhaul is upgraded necessarily.

All operators are going to have this issue at first.

Even nowadays if you go into parts of a city you see sub 1Mbps speeds on the best HSPDA connection. I don't go around moaning that its 20 times slower than further out of the city.

The masts working fine it's just capacity constraints.
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Aug-13 15:00:33
Print Post

I'm starting to think I really do live in the wrong area.

FTTC all around me - in LOS of my desk but not for me. I can see the group of 3 cells one of which I was on when I got that 23mbps. Yet nothing for me.

Went to move but place I wanted went within 10 mins of being listed.

Keep persevering!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Aug-13 15:02:53
Print Post

Have a look here. How far away is your nearest 20+ metre orange or T-mobile cell phone tower. You're looking for a major mast, not a tiny one.

http://sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 29-Aug-13 15:03:01)

(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Aug-13 15:33:29
Print Post

I know - I'm looking at 3 sticking out the top of the woods - so they must be 20-30ft high.

There are 3 cells, one is 2x Voda one is 2x Orange and the other is 3x O2

The 3 Cell is nearest to me. I can see it.

I often wonder if it's the local transmitters. We have the celtic Manor's one which does the sites broadband and TV. I can also see through the trees the transmitter which does Capital's 97.4FM/DAB service and also BBC Radio Cymru.

I'd say LOS the public one is 200M where as the Hotel one is 500M

Well here see for yourself. http://prntscr.com/1o44ns

The 3 cells are in the circle and the grey one is the one I think I was connected to

I'm somewhere near the blue dot - the black cell is my local 3 one and the green is the large transmitter and the purple is the hotels mast. I can see all these from where I am sat.

brown are the FTTC cabs and red is my cab -which is not being touched

So why this area is so bad I don't know there are plenty of cells for each network around. According to Opensignal I have sometimes been on the transmitter near scotch wood to the right. I can see that too it's on a block of flats which I have clear LOS too.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Thu 29-Aug-13 15:38:50)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Aug-13 16:12:45
Print Post

Definitely interesting. I just got a call from EE actually (as I was asking to switch back to T-mobile). They gave me iPhone 5, unlimited minutes, unlimited tests, LTE with 2.5Gb data for £25 a month. Perhaps because they're literally giving away LTE to existing customers it's becoming extremely congested when there's not too many LTE masts.

You have plenty of masts in the area. I highly doubt whether any are LTE though.

In time it's likely that the T-mobile mast which is on the same site as the 3 mast will become LTE. It's not a large site though that will take a while.

I don't think you are connected to the Grey mast. It's only 14m high. I don't think they will have upgraded it.

I think the only likely LTE mast is the one at Cwn wood & even then I'm not sure... They are more likely to upgrade this T-mobile site at 25m than the orange site at 14m which needs new equipment to bring it upto MBNL standards & the 14m one isn't going to give huge coverage.

Here there is only one T-mobile site. Your 3 site might also hop between the Cwn wood one as well as the one you're assuming. Largely because the one you're assuming you are using has a fairly low transmit power (like all 3 masts seem to) which severely impacts its range, so the one a little further away with higher transmit powers likely to give similar coverage at your location. So room to room it may very well change masts dependant on where you are.

Also what is really crucial here is that Orange stopped supplying their mast information a few years ago. Looking at the coverage maps there's a lot of outdoor only signal. I get a feeling that the LTE is probably coming from a mast that's not on this site (built since they stopped reporting). It wouldn't surprise me if it was coming from the top of a pilon or something similar a few miles away at around 40m height with a transmit power as high as 35dBw (covering around 3-4 miles in all directions). This is the kind of LTE rollout currently. Those smaller masts all don't REALLY meet the usual LTE plans as they don't cover mass areas. You could pretty much cover the whole of Newport with LTE via 1 or 2 big masts. The masts I see on there look like the ones that'll get coverage overtime to 1) ease congestion and 2) Increase outdoor coverage. I don't think they are currently LTE though.

Looking at the coverage maps, even around all of the masts on this site, the LTE coverage shows quite low. If an LTE mast was there surely coverage would show high. It's a bit of a mystery where it's coming from for now.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 29-Aug-13 16:14:42)

(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Aug-13 16:54:40
Print Post

Well looking at that map I was actually near Beachwood park when I got that 23mbps down speedtest. And as you go further into town (so assuming north is up - then south west direction) it got to 16 and then slower again.

SO it must be around that area either North or South. Come to think of it the transporter bridge is south. maybe something is there.

I've never got more than about 10mbps even on 3G when I had a Iphone 5 and also now on an S4. So this much be a really bad area.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Thu 29-Aug-13 17:15:11)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Aug-13 17:49:10
Print Post

It would make most sense for the CWM wood mast to be LTE. It's 25m so it's going to have ok range. LTE masts are usually around 30m though currently. A 14m mast is unlikely to be LTE currently. EE want max coverage.

At Beachwood park I have identified the LTE mast. I am 99% sure this is the LTE site (I've looked through some stuff and it's an almost definite LTE site. There's an Orange and T mobile site on the mast and the orange equipment was due for an upgrade on the 2G to bring it to Edge standards as well as LTE as far as I can tell). This would give this site 3 LTE transmissions all in opposite directions so it would give coverage for miles in all directions. The site also had it's maximum transmittable power increased to 35dBw.

This site will be on high priority for doubled speeds too as it will be giving such a huge coverage.

So at Beachwood Park I would bet my life this is the LTE transmission.
http://s24.postimg.org/yn63x9wzp/LTE_mast.png

Both site, the orange and T mobile will have been made into T mobile type transmitters with 4G enabled. 46 and 47 metres respectively.

This will also cover the whole of Newport centre.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 29-Aug-13 17:50:25)

(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Aug-13 18:20:41
Print Post

Interesting cheers for the info. Next time I am passing ill do a test and let you know smile

There's a tower block there. No other masts visable that I can recall.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Thu 29-Aug-13 18:21:58)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Aug-13 18:24:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Have a look here. How far away is your nearest 20+ metre orange or T-mobile cell phone tower. You're looking for a major mast, not a tiny one.

I suspect this is mine:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FERCtNGHl8M/UUIZ-zW3ExI/AA...

Sitefinder is inconclusive for T-Mobile and Orange data as they stopped supplying data in 2008 or before. However the site shows T-Mobile and 3 on a 31m high mast in the right place, and an Orange mast the other side of the playing field (Which doesn't exist, so I'm assuming is the same mast) with height 27m.

I can see this mast clearly out my window, not quite the view in that pic.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to