General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G, 5G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Sep-13 18:52:34
Print Post

Re: EE 4G PAYG Mobile Broadband

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Not been to EE store yet, will try next week.

Picked up a PAYG SIM with 2GB of usage, and I reckon I've used half of it already just speed testing!! smile

In the office I get 1 bar on my HUAWEI unit and around 9/10megabit download and 11megabit upload. At home I get full signal and using the laptop I managed to see 47megabit download and 20 megabit upload - once.

Problem at home is most WiFi channels are in use, and the MiFi only does 2.4GHz, so its hard to tell if its a 4G or WiFi congestion issue.

One test a minute ago:
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2940333656

My iPhone 5 connected to the same MiFi gets a lot less, I assume it can't cope with the WiFi congestion, and its just slowing down. The laptop (2012 MacBook Air) can. Shame nobody makes a MiFi with 5GHz support :-/

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Sep-13 20:04:45
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The new EE mifi things don't seem to need 5ghz they do well on 2.4 so I am told.

Wow those are some speeds. You're Iphone 5 should do well mine used to max out at about 62mbps - my ipad does the same.

I've used up 1.9GB speed testing -

I have a solid plan for the future now - Stick with this for now - save up for a new phone which will be around Xmas to Feb 2014 and then get whatever Samsung flagship phone is ( or even S4) and then give 3 4G a go when it's out.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 02-Sep-13 20:05:03)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Sep-13 20:17:00
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
The new EE mifi things don't seem to need 5ghz they do well on 2.4 so I am told.

Yes they can, but at home I have real problems with 2.4Ghz WiFi as there are just too many other people using WiFi in my road :-/

Wow those are some speeds. You're Iphone 5 should do well mine used to max out at about 62mbps - my ipad does the same.

Yes, once my contract is up (nov) I'll have to seriously think about 4GEE, or wait a bit. I'm pretty sure Three won't launch in my area, I'm in a small town, not a city smile

've used up 1.9GB speed testing -

blush
I have a solid plan for the future now - Stick with this for now - save up for a new phone which will be around Xmas to Feb 2014 and then get whatever Samsung flagship phone is ( or even S4) and then give 3 4G a go when it's out.

Good luck!

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User LA7
(newbie) Mon 02-Sep-13 22:27:12
Print Post

Also Newport and Cwmbran have not been upgraded to EE's double speed yet as some masts in cwmbran and newport have not has a fiber backhaul or if the site uses microwave the site have not had a giga microwave link upgade yet
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Sep-13 23:38:48
Print Post

[re: LA7] [link to this post]

Cheers, I was told on PAYG it does not matter we don't get double speed. I had a contract on a 30 day sim only and that was 8 down 21 up all the time. i only get 10 up on PAYG
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Sep-13 07:48:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Cheers, I was told on PAYG it does not matter we don't get double speed. I had a contract on a 30 day sim only and that was 8 down 21 up all the time. i only get 10 up on PAYG

I wonder if EE is like O2 where voice SIMs get slower broadband than data SIMs. Would seem worth it to me.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Sep-13 11:23:11
Print Post

I think with the double speeds you will still see improvements as the backhaul is likely to be upgraded and capacity.

Lots of LTE masts are still using poor microwave links which I think is probably the issue.

Just something else. Newports the only place getting LTE in Wales... I think that's only because Bristol has it. It's likely that currently your LTE is coming from Bristol via microwave links, so not actual hard wired. This should improve in time.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 03-Sep-13 11:27:31)

(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Sep-13 12:05:35
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Cardiff was one of the first citys to launch 6 months before Newport - We got it in March. They had it in October 2012.

It's not that great in Bristol - The EE shop at the Mall still can't get it inside. I believe mine is coming from the mast on the tower block because as you go towards Chepstow about 4 miles from here it's lower still. So the more towards Bristol the weaker it gets until you hit the bridges and then it starts to pick up.

At the moment I am only using it should I need to upload something.

I remember saying hat I went to the EE store in Cardiff when it launched and got 27 down on my Then Iphone 5 on 3 against the stores lower figure.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 03-Sep-13 12:08:42)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Sep-13 13:49:17
Print Post

Do you still pick up an orange signal?

If you select carriers & do a manual search.
On EE it will show EE (3G) which is t mobile and EE which is orange.
On orange EE(3G) is orange and EE is t mobile.

If you can still connect to the old orange signal it indicates that the orange mast will be getting LTE very soon (or it may already have).
All orange masts that were going to be decomissioned have been already. The remaining ones will be getting their orange equipment changed to t mobile standards for 3G and LTE so it'll become one giant T-mobile type network, the old orange signal will be rendered not connectable, although it may still show up in a network search at first. Trying to connect to it will just show no service.

In short if you can still connect to an orange signal it shows more work is yet to be done.
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Sep-13 15:44:45
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Afternoon smile

Okay I did a manual search whilst reading all the rest of your post and this is what I got.

http://prntscr.com/1p41il

I know I can get t-mobile. used that before EE
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to